Code red

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talked to Justin on the phone.....

They ARE parting the car in the hotel parking lot, and at the end of this thing, Dad is towing it back to Ohio on his trailer, and Justin will probably drive Dad's white car back to Ohio.

Justin is in very good spirits, and with only minor aches. Joe (Logikfive) was riding in the car, and he has a bit of knee pain, and some seatbelt rash. The boys did good for an estimated 45 MPH hit.

Tim

That'll buff right out!! ... :(

Damn such a sad week for starquest's.

After I took a closer look at the last pic, Im kinda pissed.. How the heck is his air damn STILL in better shape than mine.. lol

Edited by Tipsysmile

I know it wouldn't be practical at all to try and fix it, but it sure is a shame to see an Atlantic go like that...Especially after all the hard work Justin has put into it. Hope he can snag another one and start building it up again :D

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif Sorry to see that.At least you had plenty of friends there to help. Glad you are ok, time to build another one good luck.

also have one thats isnt actively for sale but could be bought if someone is in need. I am really sorry to see his car end like this, but for those of you enjoying PF10, I have a rust free 87 atlantic if he wants to talk, have him get ahold of me.

BC_99

cut the whole front end off, and weld up a tubular front clip for it. Long term project time Justin.

Glad to hear you and logic are ok, especially given your speed into the tree. Safe travels man, safe travels

Derek

This is really a sad sight to see. Im glad everyone ended up alright and that no one got seriously hurt.

Is the car only being parted on the spot? I need a flywheel if hes got a 240mm and he needs to get rid of some parts for the extra $$$

That blows. But material things are replaceable, (well, sort of) but people are not replaceable. So good thing he walked away from that.

Hope the rest of the weekend goes better for him.

Hate to sounds like a douche. But how'd it happen? Pushing the limits on a new road or something else?

I'm kinda interested. That skidmark looks pretty long, even at 45mph with garbage tires an SQ can make that turn no problems.

Hate to sounds like a douche. But how'd it happen? Pushing the limits on a new road or something else?

I'm guessing the Tail fo the Dragon run and he got into the corner a little too hot.

Bummer.

I'm kinda interested. That skidmark looks pretty long, even at 45mph with garbage tires an SQ can make that turn no problems.

Ok, now that I've gotten a good nights sleep and am able to think clearly now I can break everything down.

Yes, it was a new road to me. We were going on the Area 32 cruise up Highway 32 through Tennessee into North Carolina. The bikers from the area call it "Little Dragon". I was driving the car at a moderate speed, enough to have a little fun. I came out of a right turn, downhill, which transitioned into a sweeping left turn. During the transition from right to left...the rear of the car broke free. I still don't know exactly why....it was holding the road just fine the whole way down until this point. When the rear broke free, I counter-steered thru the slide, and no joke, had a nice Toyko drift yO style powerslide going on. While trying to straighten the car back out, i was beginning to cross the center yellow. JUST AS I was beginning to regain control of the car and get it pointed straight again, a white Conquest came around the bend, heading at me. At this point, I had no where to go, but to turn harder to the right, straightening the car out harder, and infact making it tail back the other way...where I went into a perpendicular slide off the road, dead into a tree that judging by the size of the trunk, had been there for 200-300 years. It was a big tree. Now...before you people who don't look at the fact that at least I'm still alive...I had little choice on where to go while regaining control of the car. I could have kept straightening my car out, and running HEAD ON into the other white Conquest, possibly killing all 3 of us since the impact would have been a total close to 70 MPH. I think I made the right last second decision to aim for the tree. Not to mention, if YOU driving, you would have been likely of been traveling at the rate of speed. My luck is where I exactly went off the road. Just 5ft to the right, there was no tree, but a 30ft drop off. If I had went down into the gully, I would have likely put the car onto its roof, and me Joe would have been seriously injured.

As for the long skid mark comment, there were marks in the road prior to me being there. The marks I left, where about 10ft long..leading onto the shoulder of the road.

All in all...me and Joe are awake and moving around. Quite a bit more sore this morning then last night...but that's to be expected.

We are going to be okay.

Thank you very much to the people who have expressed your condolences to me and the car. I appreciate the comments and the concern.

The rumor is true, I have begun parting the car in the parking lot; pure_insanity purchased the velour interior.

I AM looking for another shell..as we speak. BC_99... I will send you a PM.

Thanks again everybody. Our guardian angels were riding along with us.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread as much as I can, to answer any questions and read comments.

Justin

Edited by Coke

Dude I feel for yha. My dad did the same thing in my car and was getting into second. It just goes to show how fast things can happen. You gonna try and fix her up??

Dude, his car is totally jacked. When I talked to him, he told me the force of the impact was great enough that it shoved the entire powertrain back at least a good two inches, as he told me the shifter was jammed into third, because the stick was up against the rear of the cutout in the floor.

Tim

Yeah, that car could be fixed, but it would take a whole front clip for sure. That's more than a few hours of frame time there, as the whole unibody frame section in front of the firewall would have to be cut off and a donor welded in. That is something that absolutely has to be done on a frame rack, so you'd be paying the frame shop dozens of hours for all that welding VS just a few hours for pulling a side hit. Sure you could save a ton of money by doing the rest of the work yourself, but I bet for a frame shop to do what needs to be done, you'd be looking at $1500+ just on the frame stuff alone.

Any car can be fixed if you have enough money and want it fixed bad enough.

Some cars, like Coke's are really too far gone to be worth fixing. Of those cars, some do get fixed due to rarity or sentimental reasons, which is noble, but somtimes I wonder if it's a very sensible thing to do or not. Maybe if it was an 89 Starion or a super rare color like Seychelles Red on a widebody, then I might consider it, but sadly, looking at this car I'd be parting it too unless I had my own frame rack or knew someone who would give me a sweet price.

Justin, Im sooooo glad you guys are ok! I was all WT..F!! WHEN Paul text me yesterday. It sucks to see cause you put sooo much work into that car. Really glad your both alright. I know I am back home in buffalo, but if there is anything I can do to help Justin, well you have my number, so does joe, so does paul. Just lmk.