A question for all you ex-smokers

MiniSRT4

I am moving to NC next fall, and cigarettes down there are about 3 bucks a pack. In NY here they are about 8. I am going to attempt quitting for my new years resolution cause if I dont, I never will with living somewhere where they are 3$ a pack. My question to you guys is, what is the best way to quit. I know cold turkey is, but what are some of the things you did to get past the cravings and whatnot.

Mike

Chantix worked for me. took 3 weeks before I could quit and was on them about 4 months. I really was surprised at how it helped. I was pack and a half to 2 packs a day smoker for 32 years.

Good luck with your quit.

Dad

Im with you man , i got to quit this smoking thing , i quit and was doing well then stress and work pressure got to me and im puffing away again , $6 a pack here now , time to quit again and for good this time , going to try the Dad method.

Chantix worked for me, after 15 years of smoking I had quit in three weeks. Take the meds for three months though otherwise you will start smoking again. You can't take it if you have issues with depression and the like though. Gives you surreal dreams too.

Kind of irrelevant, because you're quitting hopefully, but here in NC now they just went up.

2 months ago you could get 3 packs for under 10 bucks, tax included. Now, Marlboro's are 4.95 a pack tax included at the good stores, just over 5 bucks at others. They're going up here too..

I wanna quit also...(types as he lights up another one...)

I simply decided to not buy any more.

One Wednesday night, I ran out of smokes, got pissed off thinking about how much money I was pissing away, and decided to just not get any in the morning.

That was two years ago.

There wasn't a hell of a lot of cravings, but I did gain weight.

Tim

With friends who smoke, my suggestion, besides going cold turkey is to roll your own cigarettes. Much cheaper than buying any pack and it takes time to make one therefore you smoke less per day. like 2 or 3.

Makes it more difficult as you have to keep track of your roller, rolling papers, loose tobacco and filters. Lose or use up one component, cant make a cig, have to go to a harder to find tobacco store to get more. End of the day, you smoke less.

I smoked for 15 years and chewed for longer, I just finally quit. My cravings were terrible for a long while then got easier, worse when having a beer or right after a meal, but in time it goes away. I still chew though so I have my crutch for the nicotine but the mental, wanting a smoke, was as bad as the physical, wanting nicotine. I still want to smoke every now and then and its been 3 1/2 years since I quit. and smokes here are almost $5 a pack now. a can of grizzly is 1.99 and last for 2-3 days.

BC_99

I suppose it is important to mention that prior to the Chantix I had tried the following, Zyban, patches, gum, lozenges and cold turkey many many times. I chewed all through HS and started smoking when I went to college and stopped playing Hockey and Soccer all year long.

Rusty, honestly some of the most vivid trippy dreams I've ever had. It's actually the most enjoyable part of the medication. It never effected my moods, just made me sort of lose interest in smoking. There was no desire there and when I would light up I would take two drags and it would taste horrible. After a month of no smoking I almost became "one of those people", you know the ones who can't stand smokers. All of a sudden I could smell it on others or in a room and it was awful. I got used to that though.

Gives you surreal dreams too.

By that he means INTENSE nightmares

Lol I guess it depends on the person but yeah my boss at work tried Chantix and he was leaning towards the intense nightmares end of the spectrum. Personally smoking cigarettes is perhaps my biggest regret and the one thing I wish to change about my life. I think I will give Chantix a try...

I have just recently quit smoking recently myself, cold turkey for the most part. I had one here and there to keep the crabbies away, am fine now.

like anything in your life that you want to stop there has to be a strong enough desire to stop so you can stand strong when tempted to give in. I had a dream that I had xrays of my longs and you could see dark spots in the xrays. that helps me stay off the ciggarettes.

Most new years resolutions don't work because there is no set goal or timeline when to be done with something or to start something.

Chantix gave me bad dreams and plugged me up and really screwed up my sleep pattern. the gum gives me a tummy ache and the patch kept falling off (even with duct tape)

Wish you lots of luck, it was hard for me even with a crutch(chewing), so I hope it goes easier for you. When you do get to NC, make sure you look up some of us local NC SQers.

BC_99

When I quit, I made sure that I had a bag of pretzel stick with me at all times. Put one in your mouth, suck on it until it gets soggy, eat it and grab another one. (Rusty, get your mind out of the gutter!)

It took about 2 weeks of that and I was OK.

Wish you lots of luck, it was hard for me even with a crutch(chewing), so I hope it goes easier for you. When you do get to NC, make sure you look up some of us local NC SQers.

BC_99

thanks man. Def will be lookin for a meet since I will only know one person :lol: He too has a Conquest. Our driveway will look cool, 2 starquests, a GLI and a Integra GSR :lol: Basically, 4 broken down cars

Edited by MiniSRT4