Front strut conversion

Wondering what it typically done to the factory front struts when modifying or converting to a coil over in place of the stocker?

You can make different strut catriges fit our housing but the strut is very tall and when lowered you run out of travel. You can cut the housing down and use a cut a strut with a universal gland nut. Or just buy D2s

Edited by BKB94

2 hours ago, BKB94 said:

You can make different strut catriges fit our housing but the strut is very tall and when lowered you run out of travel. You can cut the housing down and use a cut a strut with a universal gland nut. Or just buy D2s

Or how bout I save $1000 and use fox struts instead?😏

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, Mike7447 said:

Wondering what it typically done to the factory front struts when modifying or converting to a coil over in place of the stocker?

Pretty much the same thing you plan to do with the Mustang parts. At least I assume that's your plan. Curious about the strut tube housings. If they are close to the mustang stuff then you may just be smarter than us! 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Well,….. half done.

IMG_2254.jpeg

What you’re looking at is the sleeve that a fox strut can slide into and “bolt up”. It’s made out of ( get ready for the eye-pop/jaw-drop)…A piece of 2.5” 16 ga exhaust tubing. Now if that’s all I was depending on holding this thing in place, I’d have to consider myself either the bravest guy out there, or the dumbest…

But the main method of attachment is the two pieces of 3/16” flat bar that is welded to the base. The exhaust tubing acts like an inner skeleton, and holds everything in place for welding. While I have no intention of changing out the stock replacement strut for some KYB/Tokico/Koni performance version, the fact of the matter is that now I can, simply by unbolting and sliding out the stocker.

IMG_2255.jpeg

With the new strut, C/O sleeve, and spring, you’re looking at right at 200 bucks, 400 for both sides.

I also modified one strut tower w/a set of $60.00 adjustable caster/camber plates..

IMG_2256.jpeg
All in, I should have right at 700 in a new adjustable front suspension, new manual rack, w/adjustable bump steer capability.