EBC suggestions

Lance_S

Apex-i AVC-R or HKS EVC blows the tru-boost out of the water. and Blows the money out of your wallet too :)

I use an AVC-R, it's dead nuts on all the time everytime but at the same time it's one of the most complicated EBC's to set up.

For simplicity's sake the Blitz DSBC and Greddy Profec is very user freindly.

AEM truboost is so simple and user friendly. Gauge unit is built in and everything is set through a very user friendly menu utilizing a two button system :D

I <3 my truboost, I wouldn't choose any other EBC. boost by gears and all the other fancy stuff is useless to me. Give me solenoid based EBC so I can decrease spool time and easily make changes on the fly, and I'm happy :)

-Justin

I've used the truboost on my 1G awd talon id it was junk. It was very inconsistent. The two button setup is confusing, and I'd rather have a pull down menu where I can set my Duty cycle's and Gain according to RPM and MAP values in very fine increments. Couple that with the learn gear feature and you've got a proven setup where you can set a "boost map" that will already be compensated by the barometric pressure depending on the weather out side.

- Justin, Roy's Comp CT5X turbo spools as fast as it does because of the versatility of the HKS EVC. Not to mention his T-6 sized turbo is spooling as fast as a GT35R. 30+ psi by 5000rpm is no joke.

You can just make your own for cheap. You need an adjustable pressure switch to activate it and the actual solenoid valve, its the same one that's in the AEM EBC

http://www.designflexswitches.com/switches/index.php

MAC boost solenoid part #

35A-AAA-DDEA-1BA 12.7 Watt

35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA 4.5 Watt

I've had the HKS EVC 5 for a while now, I love it. It was easier than the earlier model, which I have also run. some of the menu navigations seen non-intiuitive, but once you get past that, they are very easy to setup. They are exceptionly well built and perform flawlessly, no boost spike on even the most boost spike prone setups. It is expensive, but I have always felt I got my monies worth on both of them when all was said and done.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a profec b spec 2, and it is not working for me. 18g, internal gate. The problem is the boost is choppy. Rapidly fluctuates up and down within about a 2 psi range. This totally screws my tune.

I like the rpm feature of the avc-r. But what is this learn gear feature?

SQR,

Interesting, I almost bought one of those last week. I have heard really good reviews on the spec 2. I wonder if you got one that has a glitch. Most swear by it.

L

I just recently switched from hks evc4 to a greddy profec type s and I think it's way better and easier to use than the evc4. Fwiw.

Though I'm still I'm tuning my car I haven't been able to crank it up much. First started out at 8psi and only have raised it up to 10psi now. Nice it's smogged, reg. And legal I'll crank it up.

The instructions say to connect the boost sensor to the fpr hose, which is after the throttle body on most turbo cars. I have it into the port between 3 and 4, which is shared with the bov and gm map sensor. A dedicated line has been suggested but not tried yet. I have tried the solenoid source from both the ovc and the compressor cover.

The unit raises the boost fine and keeps it with in a tighter range than a mbc, but it is choppy and screws with the tune. With my c turbos it would smooth out at about 20 psi, had the 18g to 24 and it was still choppy. Boost log trace looks like a rip saw and takes the air flow and injector duty cycle up and down with it.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Since you say its T'd in with the BOV and MAP sensor. When the solenoid opens and closes, and it does this in rapid pulses I believe, then that changing could send a similar pulse through the reference hose and be effecting your MAP sensor and causing your issue. We used a dedicated line for the MAP sensor.

Since you say its T'd in with the BOV and MAP sensor. When the solenoid opens and closes, and it does this in rapid pulses I believe, then that changing could send a similar pulse through the reference hose and be effecting your MAP sensor and causing your issue. We used a dedicated line for the MAP sensor.

I saw a small improvement moving the sensor hose to the the bottom port on the tb. The boost still went ragged over 21 psi though. I switched to a gizzmo ebc and it smoothed out. But now it tails off like my mbc does. The goal is a nice smooth and steady 26 plus. This is a big injector e85 tbi car. Do not try this at home guys. ;)

This is a good example of why a stable air flow signal is real inportant, and one of several things that can adversly effect it.

An example of the boost control issues and how it effects the air flow - injector duty cycle and afr.

MBC vs Greddy Profec B spec 2 EBC

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/MBCvsEBCBoost.jpg

Same overlay showing how the choppy boost effects the injector duty cycle.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/MBCVSEBCInjectoorDutyCycle.jpg

My Mbc is smooth as silk, but tails off badly.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/MBCClipped18g.jpg

%5Burl=

Edited by StarquestRescue

I'm suggesting a Profec B for the ease of useability, BUT!!! if you feel brave enough to tackle an Apexi AVC-R or HKS EVC You'll see it's pretty amazing especially with a laggy turbo like anything over a T3. My T4 sized GT4088R spools pretty damn quick for a "large frame" turbo. With my busted SMB 4-1 header it spooled to full boost at 4500 rpm.

I saw a small improvement moving the sensor hose to the the bottom port on the tb. The boost still went ragged over 21 psi though.

Do you think you are hitting the threshold of where the ECU dumps the MAF signal and switches to an ignition signal? The only way to know that is if sometime in the middle you get that "code" where it sets it then switches modes then when the signal comes back it expects it switches back and it might be you never see it. If that was something that was more common than you think that code would confuse people but that's what they made it do if it happened but never mentioned that it was cause the code to show up.

We used the ProfecB on the mpi engine and its fine and the other on a tbi engine which is simple to use but expensive is a blitz sbc id

i switched to a gizzmo ebc and it smoothed out. But now it tails off like my mbc does.

I shortened the actuator arm about a 1/4 inch, hoping to induce some creep. But it still tails off about 1.5-2 psi.

This is going to screw up my dyno day tomorrow. With the Gizzmo i can toggle up through 6 setting. I should have ordered that rpm switch.

• 1 month later...

Do you think you are hitting the threshold of where the ECU dumps the MAF signal and switches to an ignition signal? The only way to know that is if sometime in the middle you get that "code" where it sets it then switches modes then when the signal comes back it expects it switches back and it might be you never see it. If that was something that was more common than you think that code would confuse people but that's what they made it do if it happened but never mentioned that it was cause the code to show up.

I do not pay much attention to codes. It was my intention to add data logging of the code wire this summer but than the flood came and a lot of stuff never got done.

I suspect any such back up rpm only fuel map was not intended to do little more than get the car to the side of the road. Or cut the injectors clean off if the air flow was sky high. (load based fuel cut).

I have never seen the injectors not track the air flow, even when the air flow signal was obviously wrong.The only exception being a sky high air flow signal that resulted in a (load based fuel cut).

As far as the boost control issues the problem in part was i was getting compressor surge under throttle that was aggravated buy the ebc's attempts to regulate the boost.

I addressed the problem with a 2 stage mbc controlled by a rpm switch to limit the boost at lower rpms as well as moderate the boost spikes mbc's tend to produce. The result was a rock steady boost, air flow and afr.

When i encounter issues like this, i always wonder how many others have had similar symptoms and had no clue what the root of the problem was.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a profec b spec 2, and it is not working for me. 18g, internal gate. The problem is the boost is choppy. Rapidly fluctuates up and down within about a 2 psi range. This totally screws my tune.

I like the rpm feature of the avc-r. But what is this learn gear feature?

Did you have your dip switches on the back set correctly? and follow the manual on what to do if it still does this with dips set correct? There is a 2nd dip setting if you can not tune that out you need to set and retune.