Upgrade turbo in stock motor

Brant

I'm wanting to know if a 14(?) turbo is enough for a good stock motor,

or is a 16(?) turbo better. I don't want to spend my hard earned $$$

on a turbo to discover it is not enough/ too much this or that.......

Thanks in advance,

Brant

14G is a nice safe upgrade on stock parts. I noticeable increase in power but not huge.

16G is a BIG improvement BUT you need to make sure your fuel and spark system are in tip top shape.

Get a wideband so you will know how much is too much.

Id agree with psu crash. 14g or b with no problem. 16g I'd look into fuel system upgrade w/ wideband. Also upgrading to 1g mas or maft. If you dont mind me asking how many miles & what year?

I'm doing a 20g on a stock rebuild. These motors are stout, just have to make sure they run properly ;)

The boost level is a factor too. Whatever turbo you choose, still needs an AF monitor of some kind at least. Higher boost levels above 12 or so, normally need fuel mods of some kind to support. Each engine is different, so you must be able to monitor it. I have seen a stock turbo at stock boost kill a motor because of a fuel issue. If it were me, I would go with the 16G and fuel mods, and run it at 18psi max. Anything over that and you're asking for trouble, and the engine will not last near as long.

Like these guys said a 14g or 16g will be good upgrades on a otherwise stock car.

I'd recommend the 14g simply because you can get a NEW FACTORY part. Any 16g you buy will be SHOP made and of who knows what quality.

To me it rarely ever makes sense to buy a shop turbo when there are similar factory produced ones. The factory parts have a known reliability and history... any shop built turbo is a crapshoot. Maybe it makes it 80000 miles or at 2000 miles it could be done for.

Which company is it that will upgrade the 12a to a 18g? I believe it was around $450 or so. Aren't they pretty reliable with their upgrade work?

EDIT:

Nevermind, found it.

www.forcedperformance.com

Dammit...I don't think they're offering the 18g upgrade anymore :( At least, I can't find it on their site.

Edited by MonkeyLover

Oh, yeah? That would be pretty cool. I may have to do that. Thanks :)

I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade the extra 12a I have or rebuild the 20g that came uninstalled with the car. Supposedly, the kid that had it last took it to Autozone to have them hone it :blink:

I'm thinking the 20g is a bit non-streetable for my set-up, though *shrug*.