Just found another '89 Starion

Josh '88

Just for my knowledge why would it be very rare if the build date was a 1989.Mine is a Jan 1989.

Thanks, Dan

Well, actually, I think it would be a build date of anything after July of 1988 makes it an 89 model year. The "rare" 1989's are only the Starions as around only 160 of them were made. 1989 Conquests are another story, those aren't rare at all. I think there were like 5,000+ 1989 Conquests.

Shame the build date isnt 1989 it would be very rare.

Well, I still believe it's an '89 Starion. Here's the VIN from Indiana's T80 (build date is same):

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/4801_1018930411704_1778479606_36332_1808645_n.jpg

I also did a carfax search, and it showed the car being an '89 Starion ESI. If you look at the Ebay pics, you'll notice that it's got the TURBO rear hatch glass. I know someone could have installed that, but I just wanted to point that out.

interesting.

josh you gotta come around a little more now a days. we know you got you a woman but......... you cant forsake your friends.

seriously, its good to hear from you. was wondering where you been.

Hey man, I haven't forsaken you guys here. I get on here several times a day, everyday. I just don't post much. Yes, I have been a slacker on attending the last few meets. I've got good excuses for missing them all, though. :)

Saw you out in the Fiji last week Josh. I rolled by in the Dually but I don't think you've ever seen it. Passed you in Kimball.

Kane

Ah, that's cool. Yeah, I rarely pay attention to other drivers. If I recognize a vehicle, I'll look to see who's driving it.

Based on Mitsubishi stopping selling the Starion over hear and the rest of the world and even left over 89s were VIN'd as 90 models I can't see any that were shipped over here ever having a build date of past say August 88, they had to have time to be built, sit around then get shipped over here then delivered to dealers, sit on the lots then be sold when DSMs were being advertised.

My bad, anything after June of 88 is considered an 89. But yeah, car model years always start about half a year before the actual calendar year, that's how we have 2010 vehicles being sold now even tho it's still 2009.

Well, I still believe it's an '89 Starion. Here's the VIN from Indiana's T80 (build date is same):

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/4801_1018930411704_1778479606_36332_1808645_n.jpg

I also did a carfax search, and it showed the car being an '89 Starion ESI. If you look at the Ebay pics, you'll notice that it's got the TURBO rear hatch glass. I know someone could have installed that, but I just wanted to point that out.

Hey man, I haven't forsaken you guys here. I get on here several times a day, everyday. I just don't post much. Yes, I have been a slacker on attending the last few meets. I've got good excuses for missing them all, though. :)

Ah, that's cool. Yeah, I rarely pay attention to other drivers. If I recognize a vehicle, I'll look to see who's driving it.

ok, were gonna need to hear these excuses and they need to be good. you missed pigeon forge for gods sake. that calls for a realllly good excuse. just giving you a hard time. grant

Josh 88...the one you posted is a Starion due to the "A" as the second digit that classifies it as a Mitsubishi.

Aust75....yours isn't a Starion, and is a Conquest, since the "J" as the second digit means its a Chrysler.

also...on most Chrysler products...anything after September is the next model year...however, I think it all depends on the manufacture

Edited by strang3majik

I suppose a late production Conquest might be interesting, but the "rarest" thing about your car is it's SHP, unless it's got tan interior, and that's not much more rare than SHP

Personally, I wouldn't call your care "rare". One of 160ish cars built in one year? That's a different story. That's why we're even considering calling the 89 Starions "rare" Your conquest might be rarer as far as 89 Conquests go, but one of 5000 just doesn't have the ring that one of 160 does

I suppose a late production Conquest might be interesting, but the "rarest" thing about your car is it's SHP, unless it's got tan interior, and that's not much more rare than SHP

Personally, I wouldn't call your care "rare". One of 160ish cars built in one year? That's a different story. That's why we're even considering calling the 89 Starions "rare" Your conquest might be rarer as far as 89 Conquests go, but one of 5000 just doesn't have the ring that one of 160 does

Ahhh, great info bro!!! I see what you are saying now. Mine was Mexican Red, with Black leather/pleather, 5spd, adjustable front suspension, 9in rears and 8in fronts. Thats all I know on it other than the debate about my pop up sunroof which is ASC [ brand ], but man it looks so factory it will fool ya..

Ahhh, great info bro!!! I see what you are saying now. Mine was Mexican Red, with Black leather/pleather, 5spd, adjustable front suspension, 9in rears and 8in fronts. Thats all I know on it other than the debate about my pop up sunroof which is ASC [ brand ], but man it looks so factory it will fool ya..

well, red with black leather is about the most common color combo of all SQs. The SHP (adj. suspension, wider wheels) was only in 88 and 89 and there's no real way to tell how many cars came with SHP, but I'd guess around 1/3 of em were SHP

The ASC sunroofs WERE NOT a factory option or even a true dealer installed option. ASC has done conversions on cars in the past, but this is not one of those situations. ASC makes about the best AFTERMARKET power holes you can buy and are designed to look like they belong in the car. Many dealers sent the cars on their lots to sunroof places to have roofs put in cars that were everything the customer wanted but didn't have the factory roof. I know this because I worked at dealerships back in the day. It was nothing more than a dealer installed option, and it wasn't even installed AT the dealer LOL. IIRC, some of those ASC jobbies went for close to 2 grand.

Just for reference, her is another aftermarket power hole that I put in my wife's car. Not only was it about the cheapest aftermarket roof made back in the day (FAR from the quality of ASC), it came out of a junkyard car, and I have very little sunroof installation experience...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/headliner.jpg

I think if someone didn't know better they'd think it was stock. And imagine if it was a quality roof being installed by someone who did it for a living.

And like strange said, our cars are kinda rare no matter what. From 83-89 only around 80,000 SQs were brought into the US. Some other cars have that many in a year LOL. I did find something interesting out when I got my Z tho. I thought for sure there were a lot more 90-96 300Z's than SQ's, but in their 6 year run they were right around 80,000 also. My 300 'vert is probably more rare than any SQ I own since there were only 2500 convertibles built between 93-96.

Edited by Burton

my Omni GLH is 1 of 865 that year :P

1 of 2xx that were sante fe blue...lol

Nice.

Sadly, my 'vert is a 93, and that was the year that the most 'verts were made (1500+). Someone did tell me tho that because mine is bright red with gray power leather seats, it's one of like 170 set up like that. I only wish it had the Bose system- that's the only available option my car doesn't have. Although, even if it did have it I would have pulled it out to put in the system that's in there LOL.

Don't get me started on the GLH Omni's!! They are the most under rated fast coupe in the world. I am from Panama City where several combed the streets at night all looking quite stock. I saw one on butter cutter tires catching no traction in 3 gears run down a 87 Camaro with a built motor and blower popping out the, right beside it was a Mustang GT 95 Vert with cams and bottle fead. This Omni which was not the prettiest thing gave them the jump and by the middle of 4th gear he was just about crawled up there exhaust pipe. It was truly great stuff and what started making me want to play with turbo motors. The only prblem with the Omni was that they had roll up windows and they DIDN'T MAKE ENOUGH OF THEM!!!!

• 2 months later...

Theres 5000 89 Conquests? Not according to this

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2008/04/01/hmn_feature24.html