Wipers run when the headlights are turned on

AzStar

Was headed out the door for a meet in Tucson....

Turn the headlights on and the wipers start running? wt....?

Wipers work normally when the lights are off in all switch positions. Soon as the lights are turned on the wipers run. (both parking AND headlights)

Added information... the key has to be in the ACC or ON (engine running or not doesn't matter)

If I turn on lights the wipers will run. The wipers will not function in INT but will run slow and speed up if the wiper switch is put in highspeed. Wipers shut off when the lights are shut off or the ignition switch is turned off.

When the wipers run with the headlights off in the INT mode the dash illumination will change (brightens I think) when the wipers cycle and then goes back to normal illumination when wiper is parked.

More information I washed under the hood today... wonder if I got water in an area that is causing this problem....

Help?

Edited by AzStar

Was headed out the door for a meet in Tucson....

Turn the headlights on and the wipers start running? wt....?

Wipers work normally when the lights are off in all switch positions. Soon as the lights are turned on the wipers run. (both parking AND headlights)

Help?

Mine don't do that but the high and low works but on intermittent they stop in the middle of the windshield, go again and stop in the middle of the windshield again. Is this a relay or the timer and where is it?

Try that handy-dandy FAQ forum we have. This is a common problem, and has been re-hashed many times. If you have problems with finding something in our FAQ forum, our search function works too, ya know.

Mine don't do that but the high and low works but on intermittent they stop in the middle of the windshield, go again and stop in the middle of the windshield again. Is this a relay or the timer and where is it?

Try that handy-dandy FAQ forum we have. This is a common problem, and has been re-hashed many times. If you have problems with finding something in our FAQ forum, our search function works too, ya know.

Are you saying my problem with the Head lights and wipers is common or the INT problem?

VERY common problem. Remove the cover on the wiper motor(3 screws) Underneath are some electrical contacts and old dry grease. Clean all the old grease and clean the contacts. Bend them out a little if needed. Then grease the inside thoroughly. I use disk brake caliper grease because it doesn't melt away.

Are you saying my problem with the Head lights and wipers is common or the INT problem?

Not sure what your problem is. Maybe it has something to do with the worn ignition switch but that's just a guess. Like stated above search the FAQ.

I think your thread got hijacked, AzStar :(

Have you tried disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and then replugging it?

I made it to the show btw and met James there. We chatted for a bit then I had to head to my meeting. On the way home from the meeting my speedometer stopped working, lol.

I think your thread got hijacked, AzStar :(

Have you tried disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and then replugging it?

I made it to the show btw and met James there. We chatted for a bit then I had to head to my meeting. On the way home from the meeting my speedometer stopped working, lol.

MAN I so wanted to get up with you guys.. and could have dragged another car up there... but that wasn't the point.

I am hoping it was caused by my washing the engine bay and got something wet. We will see here in a day or two.

I did the battery disco and no luck. Cleaning ground #11 and the wash are the only two things I've done to the car since it last worked.

I'll get it figured out (I hope).

Did they have a good turnout tonite?

$5 says it's a bad or weak ground.

Well interestingly enough I had just cleaned ground #11. (it didn't look bad but I cleaned it, made sure I had bare metal contact to the body, etc.)

The wiper motor has a specific ground wire to the body which is working fine. (if I disco the ground the wipers don't park correctly)

I am hoping (probably wrongly) that it is related to my washing under the hood. I will let the car sit out in the sun today and see if the problem "goes away". Otherwise this is going to be a ----------- to sort out.

Well interestingly enough I had just cleaned ground #11. (it didn't look bad but I cleaned it, made sure I had bare metal contact to the body, etc.)

The wiper motor has a specific ground wire to the body which is working fine. (if I disco the ground the wipers don't park correctly)

I am hoping (probably wrongly) that it is related to my washing under the hood. I will let the car sit out in the sun today and see if the problem "goes away". Otherwise this is going to be a ----------- to sort out.

There's normally a metal "clip" joober that the top bolt goes through that folds around and grounds. Mine was missing on my 88 when I got the car so the wipers didn't work /park/run fast enough. I put an extra ground wire on and that solved the problem, but then I found out about that clip. Put one on off an old wiper motor and pulled that ground wire off. It's been fine ever since.

Well all is good again.....

And I'd like to say I know why.... but I don't.

It must have been related to getting something in the engine compartment wet when I washed the engine because I backed it out of the carport this morning and still had the problem. Turned the car to fast the SE and opend the hood and let the good old Arizona sun cook the engine compartment.

After 4 hours it all works just fine.

So guess I will have to be a bit more careful where I spray water when I clean the engine compartment.

Looks like I spoke to soon. Driving to work today with the headlights on and the wipers just started running on their own again.

Then a bit later in the commute I put the lights on and we were fine.. for about 5 minutes and then the wipers started up again.

So now I am chasing an intermittent fault. This should be "fun".

All the more reason us S. Arizonans need to start meeting more often, so we can build a collective knowledge base about working on these cars. :)

If there is anything I can do to help I can make room on my schedule on weekends.

Tim.

Thanks Tim!

Right now I've got to figure out where I am going to start on this one.

Think the first thing I will do is go through all the ground points and the alternator ground point. Make sure those are all straight.

After that I'm at a bit of a loss. I simply cannot see how there is "power" getting to the wiper circuit from the headlight circuit. But then again, I haven't poured over the electrical schematics to see what is what.

I don't think this is an ETACs issue.

A few things to examine:

1: how fast are the wipers running: low speed, high speed, or variable/intermittent? If variable, something is triggering ETACS.

2: during the daytime, drive with the pop-ups raised but the headlights OFF. If the wipers run once in a while, it's a cross in the pop-up wiring, not the headlight wiring.

3: with the engine idling, headlights ON, grab some of the wire bundles under the hood and wiggle them. See if anything makes the wipers go nuts. Then grab some of the under-dash wiring and wiggle that.

4: look at the wires near the fusible link and relay box. You might have to remove the small metal plate between the battery and relay box to really see the wires. The wiper relay is in that panel; there is also stuff for the headlight pop-ups in that panel. A43X is the wiper relay (2nd back from the front of the car, in the row closer to the battery); remove it and drive with the headlights ON. If the wipers stay OFF, it's either an issue with this relay, the wiring near it, or ETACS. This is the relay ETACS uses for the variable/intermittent speed wipers. Without this relay, INT won't work but LOW and HIGH should be normal.

Remember, the wiper motor gets fed +12volts whenever the key is ON. It needs a GROUND to be completed to actually run the wiper motor.

The headlight power does flow through the steering column near the wiper control stalk for the "flash to pass" function. That's a potential cross-circuiting if the wire harness is damaged.

mike c.

A few things to examine:

1: how fast are the wipers running: low speed, high speed, or variable/intermittent? If variable, something is triggering ETACS.

2: during the daytime, drive with the pop-ups raised but the headlights OFF. If the wipers run once in a while, it's a cross in the pop-up wiring, not the headlight wiring.

3: with the engine idling, headlights ON, grab some of the wire bundles under the hood and wiggle them. See if anything makes the wipers go nuts. Then grab some of the under-dash wiring and wiggle that.

4: look at the wires near the fusible link and relay box. You might have to remove the small metal plate between the battery and relay box to really see the wires. The wiper relay is in that panel; there is also stuff for the headlight pop-ups in that panel. A43X is the wiper relay (2nd back from the front of the car, in the row closer to the battery); remove it and drive with the headlights ON. If the wipers stay OFF, it's either an issue with this relay, the wiring near it, or ETACS. This is the relay ETACS uses for the variable/intermittent speed wipers. Without this relay, INT won't work but LOW and HIGH should be normal.

Remember, the wiper motor gets fed +12volts whenever the key is ON. It needs a GROUND to be completed to actually run the wiper motor.

The headlight power does flow through the steering column near the wiper control stalk for the "flash to pass" function. That's a potential cross-circuiting if the wire harness is damaged.

mike c.

Mike,

Thanks for your response. Site just came back up.

With respect to what you posted above these are the symptoms.

Headlights up with maint switch has no effect. Wipers do not run.

Parking lights or head lights on with the ignition off has no effect. Wipers do not run.

Ignition on, Parking lights or head lights on and the wipers run in normal speed (low).

If I operate the wiper switch at this time I can not get Int but I can get hispeed.

If lights are off then wipers operate normally when the wiper switch is used. Int, Low and High.

I have not dug into any wiring or harnesses yet. The exhaust system packed it in so I have been fighting rusty bolts etc. trying to get it down out of the car and repaired.

Summary,

One thought that comes to mind is it could be parking light driven. Even when the headlights are on the parking lights are on. Is there a way to isolate the parking lights from the head lights so I can see if that is the circuit that is killing me?

Again, thanks for helping me with this. Electrical is not my forte. Tho the way the exhaust repair is going I'm not exactly setting the world on fire there either. LOL