Neat Lift Idea.

Minagera

Do you have to get a permit to do that sort of thing?

Atleast where I live you need a permit and an inspection. My dad really wants one as he's getting older and it's getting harder for him to get under a car. He's also got the 2 1/2 storry gurage for it.

It's pretty cool but if I were going to go through all the hassle of putting a lift in my garage i'd want to be able to take the wheels of my car.

The lift doesn't look nearly long enough to prevent all four wheels coming off, even if it was a miata.

Look at the third page of that thread.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/pbird21/Mustangonlift.jpg

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

It's pretty cool but if I were going to go through all the hassle of putting a lift in my garage i'd want to be able to take the wheels of my car.

How long do you think those are??? Do you drive a go-kart?

Scott

You'd be able to with this lift. Unless you're working on something with the wheelbase of a golf kart, this lift will pick the car up by the frame / rocker panels, allowing decompression of the suspension and the ability to remove the wheels.

Looks like it would tip/rock forward/backward a little under load, I wonder if it does. I use man lifts at work a lot, the same basic design and the can and do rock a little. I like the concept a lot.

whats with the tile? a smooth floor is way better to work on if you have to roll/drag anything heavy.

You guys check out his build thread for his 2,500lb Mustang?

Twin Turbo Cobra engine with about 600HP, setting it up to race in the Speed Challenge Cup in the American Iron Extreme class. 315's all around, all hand-built carbon fiber body panels, home-designed and built suspension. Guy's pretty much done everything himself in his garage.

Turborusty

Is there ANY mechanical linkage between the two sides of this lift? If there were any failures in those multiple links/pins/pivots, or either hydraulic ram failed, then one side looks like it could collapse. I'd hate to see what would happen to the car...

Being in the aviation world, I look at designs from the "what happens if xxxx goes wrong" viewpoint. Where is the backup? Multiple "load paths" for mechanical things is quite common.

mike c.

I think his only fail safe is the teeth that lock during lift. I think his approach on finding the cheapest setup he could find wasn't the best route he could taken on this. They're not connected in anyway aside from the control panel.