Can I swap wide body struts into a flatty?

Tim_C.

My '83 daily driver belched ALL of the right rear strut fluid out. The whole strut tower is completely soaked and all of the dampening strength is completely gone. Only the spring is doing all of the dampening. The tire bounces up and down like a basketball! Or so it seems while driving it.

I have a few sets of widebody, '87 TSi year rear struts laying around that I'm wondering if they will fit just the same. My motto for this car is to keep it on a GHETTO budget! I bought it not running for $300 a few years ago, put an igniter box in it to get it running, slapped a BSEK on it since the chain sounded like a freight train, and that's about it.

Anyway, I have an '84 parts car with good struts on it too, but I'd rather not put that car up on blocks unless I have to. It is behind my work and my boss might freak if the car won't roll and they want to move it.

I also have some TSi springs laying around too. I wonder if they would be an upgrade to the flatty springs?

From working on the cars I seem to remember the flatty strut housings are a smaller diameter. I'll end up measuring, but I just thouhgt maybe someone would know.

Sweet! So it should be an upgrade to put widebody struts and springs into a flatty? I would think so since the wides are heavier and a little stiffer suspension. I guess as long as it doesn't raise the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I realize this thread is old.....excuse me for bumping it...but I have a question relating to this. The rear struts are geometrically the same. Sounds awesome...I'll keep that in mind. Now..

How would I go about in swapping in FRONT widebody struts? Is it possible? Will it work? Pro's / Con's? Thanks.

Justin

PS- I think this Flatbody Mechanic section needs a sticky thread....with good info saved. This should be included.

the flatty front strut casings are about 1/4" shorter than the widebody front struts, so unless the widebody insert has a little "spacer" on the bottom that can be cut off, your outta luck

as for swapping the front strut casings, they do bolt in, but the angle of the body to the spindle is different, and you'll have massive positive camber unless your slammed like mine AND have camber plates maxed out for negative camber (my first test fit on the front of mine was with a widebody strut casing)

Edited by D_Venable

I realize this thread is old.....excuse me for bumping it...but I have a question relating to this. The rear struts are geometrically the same. Sounds awesome...I'll keep that in mind. Now..

How would I go about in swapping in FRONT widebody struts? Is it possible? Will it work? Pro's / Con's? Thanks.

Justin

PS- I think this Flatbody Mechanic section needs a sticky thread....with good info saved. This should be included.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76965&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Thanks! Sounds like the sway bars and coil springs are interchangeable.

I wish there was a way to run front widebody strut cartridges in a flatty. What are the options for flatbody front strut cartridges?

Thanks! Sounds like the sway bars and coil springs are interchangeable.

I wish there was a way to run front widebody strut cartridges in a flatty. What are the options for flatbody front strut cartridges?

these are SA WEET !!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-Gas-Strut-83-84-85-86-Mitsubishi-Starion-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aStarionQQhashZitem45f5a7aa66QQitemZ300474149478QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories