how to (smoke) i mean chang the U joints...

starion420blaze

Socket and hammer ONLY if you've got no other options. The ears on the driveeshaft will tweak. You need a vise and some appropriately sized sockets. PB Blaster is your friend taking apart. Once you've got the old ones out use some fine sandpaper to clean the rust and dirt out of the ears, then some carb cleaner, or vice-versa. Lightly grease or oil the surfaces before you put the new pieces in.

Socket and hammer ONLY if you've got no other options. The ears on the driveeshaft will tweak. You need a vise and some appropriately sized sockets. PB Blaster is your friend taking apart. Once you've got the old ones out use some fine sandpaper to clean the rust and dirt out of the ears, then some carb cleaner, or vice-versa. Lightly grease or oil the surfaces before you put the new pieces in.

+1 . Finesse over Force. Too much force will only add to the problems. PB Blaster is your friend. Also +1 on the Grease (although I use wheel bearing grease (lightly) on the parts upon reassembly)

And I hope you got them at NAPA cause the other- autobone, Pep etc, won't fit- you can't get the clips in, you just can't! ( sri- darn commercial was on again)

Napa joints are the only ones that would fit my 87.

Dad

And I hope you got them at NAPA cause the other- autobone, Pep etc, won't fit- you can't get the clips in, you just can't! ( sri- darn commercial was on again)

Napa joints are the only ones that would fit my 87.

Dad

I got them from napa thanks for the tips. but i still dont under stand how to chang them out. and the thing that

that comes off the tranny might be ash.

I got them from napa thanks for the tips. but i still dont under stand how to chang them out. and the thing that

that comes off the tranny might be ash.

The part that slips into the trans is the trans yoke. To get the u-joints out drive them to one side until the cap comes out then to the other side to get the other cap out. Reverse order to assemble. Just be careful the needle bearings in the cap can be easily knocked out of position. Make sure none fall out of place.

I would suggest that you down load the Starquest Shop Manual. Chapter 16 covers replacement of the drive shaft u-joints.

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/ser...ervice_nav.html

For What It's Worth.

Ken

wow this is not ez at all, i got them out but cant get the new one in right

i am not sure if you live near a carquest but they will press them in for you. napa also sometimes has services like that or can maybe refer you to a shop that can. i would imagine paying someone to press in ujoints wouldnt break the bank.

and for me, doesnt matter how many times i have done them they are not easy. conquest expecially since you have to slide on end in, then try to line up the other thru the hole while not fudging the needle bearings. i have done more then one quest ujoint and this 87 i have i went thru 3 before i got the first one in, i peiced together the other two to make one good one for the other side.

Dont be afraid to take a little fine sandpaper and clean up the inside of the holes before you lube em up and install your U-joints. Mine were pretty crusty when I took them apart. Made them go back together a whole lot easier then they came apart. I also have access to a hydaulic press to get them out but used the vise and socket method to have better control of what was moving when I put them back together.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99