Would or have you bought a car from Ebay????

almo

Just curious how many people have bought cars any cars From and ebay ad.

Not parts car, ones that you plan to drive?

I go through ebay allot looking for deals etc but have never had the balls to buy one. Just form the ad.

Would you recommend it?

Any horror stories welcome.

Just curious how many people have bought cars any cars From and ebay ad.

Not parts car, ones that you plan to drive?

I go through ebay allot looking for deals etc but have never had the balls to buy one. Just form the ad.

Would you recommend it?

Any horror stories welcome.

I recommend buying a round trip plane ticket...looking at it in person then shipping it if you are real serious. A couple hundred dollars is definitely worth the piece of mind if you ask me...

I bought my last one a couple weeks ago from Ebay sight unseen and had it delivered. It was described as "mint" body and paint and that it drives well which is not at all true. However, I was purchasing it based on the Recaro seats and Riken wheels so I was still happy with the deal, but the description was far from correct. I've learned to expect less than what the seller states on cars from Ebay.

I've purchased two cars from eBay.

I bought a civic DX to sell here in Canada (as they are worth more) from a dealership in Indiana, and an 03' Toyota Echo from a private seller in Ohio.

I was happy with both. However to be accurate I did do my homework first (carfax, call the seller a few times, get pic's of everything).

My old man also bought a 90' Mustang notchback twin turbo from a guy in Calgary over Ebay.

Car dynoed there for 10Hp over what the guy was claiming and sh ran like a top.

Only problem we had was traction on icy Saskatchewan roads with 600rwhp and drag radials in February.

I would recommend it provided you put in all thejz-retentive obsession normally associated with buying something from someone you don't know.

I find that most seller's actually get more honest when they know you're coming from a great distance away, as they realize how pissed they'd be to arrive and find the car in question to be other than advertised.

Good luck...

Edited by 86TSiGuy

Hi,

I have had exceptional luck with buying cars sight unseen from Ebay.

1) When I was 16-17 I bought my first Conquest from Ebay sight unseen and I had never owned or driven one before. I paid $2750. I went and picked it up and it was the most mint condition Quest I've yet to see. The only issue, I mean, ONLY issue, was a sputtering after certain higher RPMs, but the body and interior were fresh as if they were one day old. This car was totalled. The wrecked hull was sold to the scrap yard for $27.50 five months later.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6754/mysilverquest2.jpg

2) When I was 17-18 I bought my '89 Saab 900 Turbo 5spd Conv 1 of 14 Created, its a very special car. From Ebay, in FLORIDA. Sight UNSEEN, and I had never owned or driven one before. I had it delivered to me in Ohio. The car came to me in absolute mint, flawless, like it just rolled out of the factory in Sweden condition and I was and still am astonishly pleased at the transaction.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2756/photoshoot1003.jpg

3) When I was 18-19 I bought my '93 Volvo 850 GLT 5 Spd Special option model from Ebay sight unseen and I had never owned or driven one before and with horrible photo quality. I had the car shipped to me from New Jersey and when it drove off of the car carrier it, like the Saab, was in pristine mint condition as if it were new, I couldn't be more pleased with this transaction aswell.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9976/p1030044e.jpg

I have bought a couple more cars from Ebay, but they were local. One of them I was so compelled to want to own I bid an amount, and then went to go look at the car in person, once there I offered them more money than my bid amount to end the auction early. Deal. When I got home after paying more than I had bid, I found out I ended up winning the auction afterall, thus would have saved me a significant amount had I waited, oh well.

The one thing I have learned from buying anything from Ebay is to make sure to ask the proper questions. Don't just ask 'does it run good? will it make a long trip? hows the paint? does the air work?'

Ask: 'Any leaks, burning of fluid, sputtering, knocking, ticking or any issues with the drivetrain? Would you suggest it be taken on a 300 mile trip, would there be any issues you'd be concerned about with doing so? Is the paint original, any chips, dents, dings, or flaws with the body or undercarraige? Does every gauge, electronic feature and option function properly and accurately? I am very serious potential buyer and if you could take a couple minuted to inspect these issues I would greatly appreciate it.'

If the seller is unwilling to take the time to properly check out a car that you are unable to drive to and see in person than I recommend not going after that car. If someone wants to sell a car and is serious about it, they must know there is a difference between it selling for a couple thousand less because they wouldn't describe it properly, or a couple thousand more if they went the extra mile to include every possible flaw and if the seller is unwilling to help with that then pass it up because chances are there is something they may be knowingly leaving out.

Hope this helps.

I would say do it... but only if #1 you know the car and know all the problem areas / issues with the make and model and you ask them directly about them. Also helps to know the good parts of the make and model and ask them about those as well. #2 You understand it's a used car of whatever it's age is (unless your buying some full restore or show car) and it's going to have some scratches, dings, etc.

I bought my current '88 Conquest on eBay from a gentleman in Connecticut, sight unseen. It was crashed in the front passenger corner and advertised as 'parts only'. I'm currently about 2 weeks away from putting the car on the road and driving it.

Honestly like anything else, it's all 'luck' if you will. If you can have someone you know or trust check the car out for you, your much better off.

I bought my Conquest off of the internet and wouldn't do it again. The car was worse than advertised and needed an enging rebuild because the guy let it sit for almost a year after the head gasket leaked so #3 cylinder was rusted beyond repair. Had to get a new block. I've spent lot's getting it the way it is now. Get someone to check it out or go see it. It's too easy to get screwed.

while I have not... I see no reason why I wouldn't. If something seems weird, and the guy has low, or little feedback...then don't...my thing is...if I contact them and don't get a response, or dont get a thorough response anyway (such as, requesting pics), or they don't have detailed, knit picking pictures...then, I wouldn't buy it.

And, my business plan that would never happen, but, I think it'd be a great idea...have people pay you so much, to go look at a car, take a bunch of pictures, drive it, do everything, and give them a report back. Have multiple people throughout the country that way there is little travel needed...

I just think it be a great idea...now, take it and go make your millions...Just keep me in mind... :P

Edited by strang3majik

I bought my current '88 Conquest on eBay from a gentleman in Connecticut, sight unseen. It was crashed in the front passenger corner and advertised as 'parts only'. I'm currently about 2 weeks away from putting the car on the road and driving it.

Honestly like anything else, it's all 'luck' if you will. If you can have someone you know or trust check the car out for you, your much better off.

:thread20jacked8wq:

I remember that car. It looked sweet all Murdered out. Black on Black on Black. I almost bid that one myself.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/camostarquest/DSC06004.jpg

Sweet ride. Good luck.

E-BAY IS LIKE GAMBLING, IT COULD BE 50/50 .,WHEN YOU GET OVER 40 YEARS OLD,IS 50/50 CHANCE YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING .AT LEAST YOUR AHEAD OF THE GAME.REMEMBER YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THEIR FEEDBACK. I HAVE BOUGHT AND SOLD MANY CARS ON E-BAY. Edited by starquest34

I've bought three off ebay and was satisfied with all three. Two were late model vehicles

and one was an '80 model chevy p/u. Get all the info you can-with late model vehicles

get the carfaxes, with older vehicles, communicate with the seller as much as possible. The

vehicles all had a least a thing or two that was less than ideal but then I got a great price on

them all so I was happy. Of course, I never had to fly to get one or have one shipped, that

turns a good deal into a bad one IMO. On the truck, my wife and I took a small vacation and drove

it 300 miles home(I took a towbar just in case). My son hopped a bus and drove a car back 100 miles

and the other, the guy met me halfway-couple a hundred miles each.

while I have not... I see no reason why I wouldn't. If something seems weird, and the guy has low, or little feedback...then don't...my thing is...if I contact them and don't get a response, or dont get a thorough response anyway (such as, requesting pics), or they don't have detailed, knit picking pictures...then, I wouldn't buy it.

And, my business plan that would never happen, but, I think it'd be a great idea...have people pay you so much, to go look at a car, take a bunch of pictures, drive it, do everything, and give them a report back. Have multiple people throughout the country that way there is little travel needed...

I just think it be a great idea...now, take it and go make your millions...Just keep me in mind... :P

Man it's funny i was reading through all the posts at work today and I was just thinking of this I reckon it's a great Idea. Start a network of car enthusiasts/mechanics all over the country to go test drive other cars for potential buyers and get paid for it. Man that sound like a goo job to me.

That's how they do it back home in Ireland (when i was there) hire a guy in Japan to buy cars for you and them send em over.

I think we could be on to something. :hmm3grin2orange: