3.5" GM MAF + DSM 1G Translator on Conquest

I have the fcd and it still runs like crap. What is this greenstar? Never heard of it. I searched the faq's but there is nothing about the maft. It almost seems that no one has tried it on the 86.

GREENSTAR was a member on this site years ago. He owned a lime green '86 Starion and got a 1G MAS to work on his car. Here's the link:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewto...p;highlight=mas

If he got a 1G MAS to work, then a MAF Translator should work also.

Hey thanks man, i can do a lot with that info. Im still thinking if i take the male end from a 88 or 89 and splice into the 86 wires it should take the maft. I dont know im still researching before i jump into it.

Im hopefully going to hook this up on friday. I got all the couplers and getting my 1g harness today. Cant wait to see how everything is going to turn out. Ive still yet to find how to hook the safc up to the quest. Im going to be doing that another day though. Just the maft tomorrow.

just wanted to let you guys know that i got everything hooked up. I started off with just the maft. Everything ran pretty good just couldnt get it to run rich enough at wot. So i popped to secondarys in and she wouldnt run worth a damn. I plugged the safc up. Well she purred like a kitten. I had one good run with her but still trying to fine tune it. Just getting used to the safc 2. I ran out of daylight and i only have one day off right now so cant wait until next friday to start fine tuning.

orange_quest:

Keep the updates coming! I'm anxious to see what your results are.

I'm a little confused on 1 thing. Are you trying to run a MAF Translator AND a SAFC on your '86 AT THE SAME TIME? Please post some pics when you get everything finished.

AJ:

Do you have a wideband setup yet? It would be neat to see some a/f numbers with your current setup, before you install the Translator.

Yes im running both at the same time. I couldnt get it to run good with just the maft and the secondary injectors. So i had a safc, i hooked it up and she fired right up. Im just waiting for my wideband to tune it. I do have one question, do i just take the bung for the wideband and get it put on at a muffler shop or what? As soon as i get some numbers on this thing i will let everyone know. I should be doing this friday on my day off. I also need to put a flywheel in my stealth tt and a 120k tune on my 3000. So much to do so little time.

orange_quest:

Keep the updates coming! I'm anxious to see what your results are.

I'm a little confused on 1 thing. Are you trying to run a MAF Translator AND a SAFC on your '86 AT THE SAME TIME? Please post some pics when you get everything finished.

This is very common. I know a lot of people that zero out the translator and use an AFC to actually tune with. It's a very effective combo. :)

I got the wideband on yesterday. Me and my brother installed it in the stock boost location. My boost gauge is on the a pillar. We took it down the road and the thing was running pig rich. The air fuel meter i had on before with the narrow band wasnt even close. We finally dialed her in and it ran better than it ever has. I ran out of time and had to take my girlfriend out to eat so, didnt get to finish completly. I do have one question. When i took the instument panel back together the speedometer is off like 15mph, the temp gauge pegs the high mark right when you flip the switch, and the gas hand does the same. I was real careful with the green plastic on the back, so i dont know whats up. I need to fix it next before i make anymore runs. In all the car runs great and i love the setup. I will try to post pics soon.

• 1 month later...
No one really knows me but I'm always in the shadows reading until i find a topic that I can add something to. This is definately it . Put the 3.5 from a 2000 vette (had to have adapter) and the translator. This thing is awesome. Mayybe I just didn't remember how the quest felt it's been 1year since I have driven it .turbo and money problems.Like Rayman said it runs about 2-3 psi on flat straights . pulls like a new motor . I have been out all evening just grinning about this . Oh and thanks Monty for all your help back then I appreciate it . I set the setting as follows . 1gen aux0 base0 idle-5 mid -5 wot -15 runs great .Still tuning so stay tuned because there is a dyno in Roanoke and i would love to see what it would do tuned correctly thanks for all the info .

Almost forgot my mods, 18g, 284 cam full 3inch, lightened flywheel ,ported head (Lynwood Daugherty)no BS NO Jet valves spec stage 3 clutch , and AHP homemade kit(don't laugh these cars are expensive . If I don't get back to you guys fast , I'm recruiting for the National Guard. Hooahh :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Josh, have you dynoed your car again after the trans install?

No, I still haven't made it to a dyno. I've dynoed my car 3 times in the past, and that's because there were local Starquest meets organized around them. So right now, I'm basically waiting around for the next Starquest "Dyno Meet" in order to see my results.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...