Check out the new Hurricane 4 intake

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So nice to see this being offered.  If only other mods were this comprehensive.  It's just a matter of time until this is tried and true or busts out.

This'll definately be a hot topic comewhat spring either way.

smog, It will still put you well over $1000 and then you have to take into account how much is your time worth to you in dollars.  I haven't hear anyone yet that has just put in their Magna and had it work the same day properly.

I WISH THEY WOULD SHOW SOME @%$#@$ DYNO NUMBERS!!!!!  If they did I'm sure a whole bunch of people would buy their products.  Myself included.

Obviously if my time weas worth money while working on my car, I'd have a million dolars into the thing :P. There isnt a terrible large amount of wiring to get a megasquirt setup. Should be a few hours worth if you planned ahead.

I was able to do my conversion for exactly $1232 for everything.  I use SDS fuel only and magna (from the first GP's which happen to be alittle cheap then past GP's), and RX7 550cc injectors.  If I used a megasquirt system I would have easily been under $1000.  By the way, I got my car running on the the same day I installed it and drove about 10 miles.  It ran rich, but was running without any problems.  I haven't dynoed my car yet or dyno tuned yet, but I have been running the "street tuned" MPI for over a year now.

Are those stock rx7 injectors you used, or are they aftermarket? I've been looking for a cheap set of injectors for a magna conversion.

Man too bad it came after I bought my tec3 and had a custom intake made by ric at Racingmazda.com.  I could sell my tec3 and custom intake and still have money left over after purchasing this new system. Well none of it is installed yet so hmmmmm. ::)

The reason they haven't but any track times or dyno numbers on the site is because they have been having rear problems. There car has so much torque the clutch packs are slipping inside the rear its self. Ed is working on adding more clutch packs for the rear by doing some machine work in the housing. He did tell me that he did get one run at half throttle and then coasted at the end and managed to get a 13 sec. flat quarter mile time. When my car is finished I'll post dyno numbers I'll be taking my car to heefner and have it tuned there. I'll have to wait till the track opens back up here before I can get any track numbers.

The reason they haven't but any track times or dyno numbers on the site is because they have been having rear problems. There car has so much torque the clutch packs are slipping inside the rear its self. Ed is working on adding more clutch packs for the rear by doing some machine work in the housing. He did tell me that he did get one run at half throttle and then coasted at the end and managed to get a 13 sec. flat quarter mile time. When my car is finished I'll post dyno numbers I'll be taking my car to heefner and have it tuned there. I'll have to wait till the track opens back up here before I can get any track numbers.

He ran the 1/4 mile at half throttle because his rear diff was slipping? That doesn't make sence, wouldn't it be better to turn the boost down???

DJ

They launch the car hard 27 pds of boost and 150 shot of nitrous on drag slicks. They also said they had tranny problems. I'm just telling you what ed told me. He has found most of the cars he has worked on had the rears put together wrong.

the stories of 27psi and 150 NOS launches and slipping rear differentials that were mostly put together wrong.

did he mention anything about thier motec exhaust?

I don't know why our community is full of phantom cars that are very fast and ultimate mods that are always on their way but never get here. we have lots of experts who seem to know every single compressor map from garrett yet the cars are sitting in the garage entertaining the spiders. we have a thousand members yet we dont have a single reliable 12 seconds car that needs nothing but a wash.

its a little depressing.

the stories of 27psi and 150 NOS launches and slipping rear differentials that were mostly put together wrong.

I don't know why our community is full of phantom cars that are very fast and ultimate mods that are always on their way but never get here. we have lots of experts who seem to know every single compressor map from garrett yet the cars are sitting in the garage entertaining the spiders. we have a thousand members yet we dont have a single reliable 12 seconds car that needs nothing but a wash.

its a little depressing.

Damn mythical cars. I think the only real problem is u joints on the drive shaft. I'd like to have a 12 second car one day.... Of course im building mine for track not drag though. I seriously don't see why people are not getting some better times.Probably from everyone using those dman mitsubishi turbos  8)

its a little depressing.

At the risk of sounding like an a** whats your excuse?  

i fall in the same category as everone else. always some excuse. time and or money but i think i see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I had a bad coil on my TEC. i just got it the unit back from electromotive tuesday. next week its off to the dyno then i am done fiddling with things and hopefully nothing will break for a while. i been restoring this damn thing for the past year and a half.

I don't know why everybody is trying to bash Ed and Scott when there are trying to bring great products at good prices to the starquest community :-/ My car and set up will hit 12 sec. in the quarter and will only need a wash and pump gas and is no myth. Its sitting at my work at mitsubishi. And I have been building/restoring the car for the past year. Yes it requires money to get in the 12's. But everyone needs to stop making excuses for not running good times. They chose to drive a starquest. Its not a evolution, you can't just turn the boost up and throw on a intake and exhaust and run 12's. Thats why I bought my car, I like the styling and I like a challenge. And with Ed I can't back up whats he's saying because I haven't actually seen his car in person but I don't see why or what he would have to gain from lying to me.

I am not bashing the product at all. actually I really like the design of the intake. in fact i wouldnt mind have one myself.

vut one thing that is even more important than the intake itself is the ECU and its programing capabilities. I have a TEC II and I know very well its limited capabilies with its 8 by 8 box It means it has 8 sampling points in the rpm range and 8 points in the MAP range and its not nearly enough points. in the newer TEC III they fixed that and went with a 16 x 16 box. we need to see some of the tuning tables of this ecu to see what it can do.

we have all heard of similar claims of this and that from others and when we questioned them, no proof was provided. for example in this case, just how was the car tuned for all that boost and nos. hopefully on a dyno.

so where the numbers?

maybe a datalog of the run?

I am curious how well that little air/water intercooler is handling the 27psi boost?

how much power is it making at 27 psi without NOS?

as for the rearend slipping. it is my opinion and experience that the clutch in the tranny will slip a decade before the limited slip clutches are overpowered.

even if the limited slip doesn work, it will have little effect on the quartermile time when used with slicks and will have virtually no affect at all on the mph.

so what were the numbers produces on those runs. if its anything in the low 13s, then the car like many others is making just about 300hp.