swaping a g64b w/ g63t head for the g54b???

bboy1

Sure, you can have the credit...If you put up some picture's after it's all done ;)..

I'm really wanting to jump on this again... I built a 4g64/63 hybrid at the end of last year, but I used the FWD 2.4 and I had troubles with a tranny, so I sold it to a friend with a DSM.... Mighty fine engine if I do say so myself....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody is really interested in talking more about the 2.0/2.4 and tranny stuff come to my site http://zerog.beatingyou.com.  I know a few people have come over recently.  I know its still slow, but we have to start somewhere.  It'd be nice to get all the posts like this one off of SQC and onto a site specifically about the swap where there is alot of hands on experience.  None of this bench tuning crap or whatever they call it.  We're talking real examples of the swap in daily driven cars.

Good luck with strange head combos on the 2.6.  It is a great motor.  Don't put it down.  All motors spin bearings and have problems.  Its just a matter of what problems you want to have.

I have been to your site DJ, and S L O W is not the word.

Yes it would be nice to have a central location for the info pertaining to this swap, but everyone that has a 'Quest comes here.

On to other things...

As some might know, I am doing this swap with another former member.

I searched the yards, he searched the yards, we only found 1 option. An 80-81 D50 with the 5 speed to swap internal parts.

I have asked on DJ's site but no one is willing to give up some much needed info on transmissions.

According to this thread, 2-3 more have been found that will work. 1 from a mitsu van that none of us will ever see(which sounds like it would be best too- Sad)

the japanesse borg warner and something else.

I think that the discussion needs to stay here. This board is just flat out a live wire for info like this. More so then any other site I have been too.

What needs to happen is that this info needs to be collected, copy paste(giving credit to those that did the original discovering) and put on here in a sticky thread. And any new information needs to be included as well.

And just to give the price range that Joe and I are dealing with... under 1400 for EVERYTHING, including fresh forged pistons and complete rebuild. Best, or for the money anyway internal parts. The only thing we have left to deal with is the transmission internal parts swap and buying/hooking up the wilwood reverse hydraulic actuator.

Everything else has been ordered/paid for and waiting for arrival.

The trany that comes in the mit van also comes in the Montero, supra toyota 4 runner cressida  PU' s amd toyota vans 84 to 89  So they are not a rare bird.  the differance is the front section has the belhousing and over drive  and the bolt patteren  for the engine.

Mark_T

I looked at some sites I have book marked. And that Van has a AW372L(A44DL) tranny...

It's between the A44D(or DL) and the A500(904), both came with the larger 2.4/2.6 bellhousing...

Which would be better and why?  

I'm leaning toward the A500(904) just because i've heard of it and seen performance parts for it... I've heard nothing about this A44D(or DL) as far as strength is concerned...

The asian/borgwarner is a better trany according to several trans shops I have talked to but only better,  it is not a cure for a 300 + HP engine and drag slicks.   If you want something to handle gobs of HP you will jhave to spend the money to adapt a chev or ford auto trans that is beefed up to handle that kind of power.   Lets face it the small asian tranys are small and are not strong enough to handle 300+ HP engines no matter how much money you spend.   If you want to race be prepared to spend lots of money and time to solve problems.

Mark_T

Damn! this is a good subject. So is it agreed that the mitsu mighty max/d5o g64b fits the starquest with no problems and our tranny will fit this engine????????

Since reading this post, Iv'e come across some other sites dedicated to turbo charging the g64b and swapping the dohc head onto this engine aswell as utilizing the g63-T ecu with this combination.

http://www.galantspeed.com/index.php

GalantSpeed.com

http://www.4g64.150m.com/

4G64 Performance - Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS

Man with that engine and head, there would be major upgrade support for half the money of fabbing parts for the 2.6.

Although the two sites above are for FWD cars, I think info. on modding the engine for forced induction is relevant to this post.

Dammit...LOL  I thought I was gonna get some super secret forum. ;D  I already have those bookmarked...

So the Asian Warner is the A44DL?  The DL version has a lock up and the D doesn't, from what i've read.

The A500(904) is a chrysler tranny, and there's plenty of high-po parts for it. Afterall, it is a Chrysler tranny, right?  It's just right for me, since I wish to keep the OD...

• 4 weeks later...

Lets say that I had a narrow 2.0 ram 50 transmission and had starion tranny guts in it.

Could I put the 2.4 internals in the 2.0 talon engine?

My concern is that the 2.4 block does not hav oil squirters for the pistons.

The squirters are important cause they cool the pistons so that they do not melt in high boost situations.

Most well designed turbo engines have them.

My flag by my name is China but that is wrong I am actully from canada. EH!

You know ig loos, beaver, neverending cold and snow.

maybe from a galant 2.4. on a 2.0 d50 trans. But I would use a 2.0 head on the 2.4 Block. Many DSM are using that hybrid. The 2.4 Head is limited at price/HP.

I just found a 2.4 wide for $100. So Im going to use my starquest tranny.

I think the newer 2.4W have the squirters. Im not worried about them. If you go to a race specialty machine shop they can machine the bottom end for more oil flow, and get a larger race pump. The 2.6 had the same problem with the squirters. The oil flow sucked.

I have heard but am not positive that you the rods in the 2.4 are the same as the 4g63. So that would mean one tough set of rods. Maybe you could use a set over sized talon turbo pistons.

I wonder if the crank is forged?

I think I am seriouse about doing this, I have a talon head here at the shop just need to source out a block.

i have kindof skipped over page two here, but i haven't seen ANY info on the wide 2.4 block pertaining to technical info that matters, like:

1. will a 240mm starion flywheel bolt to the wide 2.4?

- if not, what options are there?

we already know the narrow 2.4 will not bolt to the stock tranny. so why worry about those?

2. will simply using the motor mounts from a D50/M-Max work when bolting in the    2.4? if not, can you use the D50/M-Max cross member in place of the starion one (if removable).

also, for fuel injection, will the DSM ECU work without anything else hooked up besides power and injectors. i think it would be a royal pain to swap an entire harness.  there has to be an easy way around it and still retain normal starquest functions driven by the ecu.

i like this idea and i have the resources to make it happen, but i don;t have a place to store the extra car.  there are so many junk yards around here, it's unbelievable.

i have kindof skipped over page two here, but i haven't seen ANY info on the wide 2.4 block pertaining to technical info that matters, like:

1. will a 240mm starion flywheel bolt to the wide 2.4?

- if not, what options are there?

Yes. the bolt patterns are the same, the spaciong is the same.

we already know the narrow 2.4 will not bolt to the stock tranny. so why worry about those?
because people can still use them with the D-50 Trans with the 'quest internals.

2. will simply using the motor mounts from a D50/M-Max work when bolting in the    2.4? if not, can you use the D50/M-Max cross member in place of the starion one (if removable).
I personally have no clue. But if the trans bolt patterns are the same, I see no reason why the quest motor mounts will not just bolt to the 2.4

also, for fuel injection, will the DSM ECU work without anything else hooked up besides power and injectors. i think it would be a royal pain to swap an entire harness.  there has to be an easy way around it and still retain normal starquest functions driven by the ecu.
If you were to swap the complete engine and harness then yes it will run. though you would have to make mods because of the turbo.

i like this idea and i have the resources to make it happen, but i don;t have a place to store the extra car.  there are so many junk yards around here, it's unbelievable.

I cannot help on the lack of storage area. but if you have a shed just to build the engine you are halfway there. After the engine is ready and old engine and harness is removed pull and swap.

• 2 weeks later...
Youve said wide and narrow block. Is the size difference only at the rear or is the whole block larger? If the whole thing is larger will the 4g63 head bolt up to them both or just the narrow one?

Phink...  It's only the bellhousing that's larger..  The DOHC from the DSM will bolt right up to the wide block 2.0 or 2.4L..  Just like it does for the narrow block 2.4(galant engine)..  I'm not totally positive if the same holes(in top of block) need to be plugged, but i'm sure it wouldn't be any harder than the FWD 2.4's block... :)

• 2 weeks later...

but there is a 13.25" 4G64 that came on the '88-'92 rwd mitsu vans. i'm just wondering why they changed the engine code on the van from G64B to 4G64.

i mean, there has to something different about the engines (including quite possibly the engine blocks) to warrant an engine code change, right?

• 3 weeks later...

if someone will source me a 2.4l wide block i will do this swap.  I bought a complete 91 laser rs just to get parts from that i need to do this swap.  wiring, head etc.  Anybody know where i can get a 2.4 wide pattern short block at?  Email me please.

Kane