SR20det swap new pix as of 5/30/09

HxC_zombie6

Haha, no that swap went into a 240sUx. I'll stick with my mitsu motors.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the response is great and so is the souuuuund. Try and weigh the complete engine to see if you're gaining/losing any weight. I just reread your first post, it's a front sump engine, and you won't need to change the front cross member.

However, be SURE to pull the lower oil pan and bang ANY and ALL dents out because the oil pickup tube clearance to the pan is very small. Our engine wouldn't pump oil, and couldn't figure out why... then I looked at the oil pan. Fixed that right away with a soft hammer and RTV.

OR You could upgrade that lower pan too, since you're going to be tracking your car. I believe Greddy makes a nice wider pan.

-Robert

i would imagine that the motor is lighter due to the sr20 block being aluminum and our cast iron.. but im not sure..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more pix of the slow on going proses of the swap lol got the front end off and the fenders

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/359949824.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/359949793.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/359949764.jpg

old motor pic say good by to it .. .. its for sale by the way runs good no problems and the auto trans comes with it for $450 only 52k miles on both

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/359949974.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
i think this is a great swap but am curius as to why the fenders needed to come off. is there plumbing going out there in your swap?

for the inner cooler the new one has an in let on one side and the outlet on the other i have to drill holes and i wanted to sand the rust off where the fenders where and paint it so they dont rust again and dont want the guy im paying to put my motor in mess them up

for the inner cooler the new one has an in let on one side and the outlet on the other i have to drill holes and i wanted to sand the rust off where the fenders where and paint it so they dont rust again and dont want the guy im paying to put my motor in mess them up

and makes it easier for wiring

• 3 weeks later...
ok so the swap is finally going to get going here on Monday . but i need a rear diff and two rear 6 bolt drive axles .. i have a 88 auto trans and motor to trade for it but ill need them asap only 53 k on both ..

how could your axles be shot after only 52k?

power shifting and engine braking probably .. treating a auto like a Manuel .. u for get i is a drifter got 5 years of it under my belt thats the main reason for my swap so i can pitch this B*&CH side ways.. also winter did not help from gettin stuck in my drive way froward and reverse trying to rock it back and forth to get it out dont help it either

Edited by HxC_zombie6

I don't have any problems doing that without an engine swap

but waz ur car an auto ? .. mine wont be after the swap lol but as it is now its an auto .. i had no prob with the 89 i used to have that waz a Manuel

Edited by HxC_zombie6

power shifting and engine braking probably .. treating a auto like a Manuel .. u for get i is a drifter got 5 years of it under my belt thats the main reason for my swap so i can pitch this B*&CH side ways.. also winter did not help from gettin stuck in my drive way froward and reverse trying to rock it back and forth to get it out dont help it either

lol oh yeah I forgot haha yeah spinning in snow is horrible for it. lol

So today when I get off work is officaly when I start rippin apart the car . Tearing out the old motor and what not and going through what I want to keep in the engin bay and so on . The plan for to day is at leasr have the motor pilled and possably the clutch pedal and master mounted . I got a lot of work ahead of me .

personally ive never been a fan of the SR20. parts aren't cheap and as far as i know the motor is completely illegal in any vehicle. but, should be good for what you're doing. i don't believe in the price per HP idea to justify the SR vs the G54B. both will probably cost the same in the long run to build BIG power. i think the g54b is cheaper to build a little more power. 220 at the wheels is easy on a starion for around $200 total investment if you shop right.

personally ive never been a fan of the SR20. parts aren't cheap and as far as i know the motor is completely illegal in any vehicle. but, should be good for what you're doing. i don't believe in the price per HP idea to justify the SR vs the G54B. both will probably cost the same in the long run to build BIG power. i think the g54b is cheaper to build a little more power. 220 at the wheels is easy on a starion for around $200 total investment if you shop right.

as far as i know the sr is only illegal in places that have emissions testing simply because it wont pass . but other than that its not .. and iv found parts dirt cheap for this motor !! the one i have all ready had an extra 45hp or so on it

Check for HKS Spark Plugs. If u have them then u need get your motor from a different source next time!

OK i recommend

Don't run a act clutch, cuz Sr's have weak transmissions and u will get crank walk easily in 6 months with an act clutch

The stock turbo's are no better then a hairdryer. they wont last as soon as u turn up the boost

Get rocker stoppers

DONT USE EBAY SR PARTS!! always use name brand parts, U will blow it up quickly if u got "cheap".

Ebay exhaust manifolds only last a month then they will end up cracking all over the place.

Replace the coolant lines on the inside of the intake manifold as its very easy to blow 1 and overheat these motors. seriously, and no1 ever replaces them cuz they are a pita

Sr's dont have torque they are a hp motor.

got some pix for ya so far nothing special

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/365525626.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/365525675.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/365525734.jpg

thats where im going to put my clutch .. it looked as if it would just punch out but it dident so im going to drill it out and start work on it tomorrow and take out stff that i dont need in the dog house and clean out the doghouse and degrease it and presher wash it

Are your taking the abs out? it would look cleaner. and for the emissions just pull 1 injector clip off, always works in tucson

i could do that with the abs ill look in to that .. and as far as emissions go im good for 09 .. but my brother lives about 45 min away and im just going to plate it with his addy next year cuz they dont have it where he lives