PICS:  header and turbo installed

Is that the Tech Edge wide band unit you're talking about?

How about the knock sensor monitoring...J&S?

Are you planning to watch exhaust pressure before the turbo on these runs?  I'm sure you'll have plenty of flow there (no more knife) but it's still fun to know.

Is that the Tech Edge wide band unit you're talking about?

How about the knock sensor monitoring...J&S?

Are you planning to watch exhaust pressure before the turbo on these runs?  I'm sure you'll have plenty of flow there (no more knife) but it's still fun to know.

Knock sensor monitoring is on the SDS. It will  retard XX amount timing per knock sum. The programmer display will also indicate knock.

Probably not going to worry so much about backpressure in the beginning. The dyno runs probably won't happen till Fall or so at best. First it's getting some  good street tuning and break in. :)

Backpressure should be in check. That's one thing I aimed for. Still want a little low end backpressure, ala the 1 5/8" diameter header runners and split tang housing.

I think Tim C's cam is going to really get this turbo singing.

oh I'm giddy.  Mike be careful buddy, I'm nervous.  Sounds like you'll have one heck of an engine monitoring system though.  And you shouldn't have any trouble driving around naturally aspirated for a while with the RPMs that thing will need to spool up.

oh I'm giddy.  Mike be careful buddy, I'm nervous.  Sounds like you'll have one heck of an engine monitoring system though.  And you shouldn't have any trouble driving around naturally aspirated for a while with the RPMs that thing will need to spool up.

if i go over 1/2 throttle mine wants to spool, makes break in that much harder :-[

I don't really think this turbo is going to be a lag monster.

If it was a Q trim 1.00 A/R then that's a different story.

Gotta be nice on the break in though. It's like having a hotty just "waiting" there for you but you can't give in to the tempation.  ;D

Mike:

having a .60 a/r will be nice. Mine is similar in a/r #'rs and overall wheel sizes. Lag isnt an issue. Yours will run fine. I hear the Sunoco 100 octane race gas, has a good ammount of "butane" in it. Very nice for spooling... (:

-stig

hey mike,  i guess i was taken away by your pics i asked if you had the fuso IC after you said you had it.  I guess i dont read as much as i claim;)  

whats the projected date for dyno numbers? any clue

Well I am shooting for 300 WHP with as little boost as possible.

Anything over 300HP is a plus.

That's my initial goal. After that we'll see.

I'd really like to see ~400HP at the crank.

I'm taking this slow and sure. If it doesn't get dynoed this year because I am not content with it then so be it.

looks great, I'm sure you'll have no problems hitting some High HP numbers. We are gonna need to talk SDS tuning once we get both our cars going, mine is almost done also.

Are you coming to Norwalk july 19th, 20th for Sport Compact Nationals? It will be nice to compare and put our heads together.

I am busting my hump to be ready by then, so hopefully that will be a good turnout of starquests.

peace,

kevin

Ya if you got any ?'s and I can help with the SDS let me know. I've got a few good practice rounds under my belt :)

I bet the fuel curves will be somewhat close.

Are you running the 4E system? I saw a distributor there still. I run the 4E.

I won't be at Norwalk, I know my car won't be fully ready by then.

I really like to meet some of you guys though!

• 4 months later...

Very nice setup Mike, I wish I had the money to do what you've done. I just got my Starion and I have very high hopes for it. Its not running as we speak, its having a valve timing issue so when I get the money to fix that it will go through a break in period with its rebuilt motor.

Do you have any pictures of where you hid your intake?

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Travis

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice setup Mike, I wish I had the money to do what you've done. I just got my Starion and I have very high hopes for it. Its not running as we speak, its having a valve timing issue so when I get the money to fix that it will go through a break in period with its rebuilt motor.

Do you have any pictures of where you hid your intake?

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Travis

sure...

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/5F/D1/27004767-fbff-02000180-.jpg

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/BD/06/11237565-43a5-028001E0-.jpg

OH MY GOD!!! That Is the BIGGEST filter I have ever seen!!! :o :o

Ya that's your off the shelf K+N cone filter.

With a larger turbo it's important you have alot of surface area so you don't choke the turbo.

Those really dinky filters work but not as well IMHO.

I still need to make a cold air intake like Heefners, he has a a hot set up.