modify or keep original

reedys1

hey, im looking for advice on whats best for the my resently aquired 1982 ja starion. This car is in excellent condition and is a credit to the previouse owners who have kept it in original condition. But i can't decide whether to keep it original or throw a few mods on the car. Are these cars worth keeping as an original collectors car?

theres many things that can be done to enhance the cars performmance a little,, and still not be a one way street, as for exh i well done 2.5 is not gona hurt the cars value , the oem down pipe cat can be gut'd and resize'd on the bottom to work with the 2.5 " exh and still maintain an oem aperiance even with a working aux air system

an ic could be install'd and later remove'd but most have no idea how quick the responce is on a non ic'd car esp if they had never driven one

I would say that car is on the rarer end of the starions and I would keep it origonal. I would update somethings maybe hardpipes new exaust downpipe etc. But for the most part keep it stock.

I gutted my car but only because it needed everything redone due to lack a maintance, previous owner, and sitting for atleast 5 years when I found it (going by last E-check paperwork I was given with it)

the car is in Australia and has had a complete engine, gear box and diff rebuild and actualy runs better then my original starion i had over 10years ago. all components and everything works. Had a full service done recently and only the regular things popped up air and petrol filter (which are hard to find over here) everything is i perfect working order. But i hear what you'll are saying about saving the original parts.

if it is an actual tittle'd 82 it's VERY rare , lots of 83's were built in 82 but most had an 83 tittle

As Shelby said, you have not only a very rare Starion but I believe, an EXTREMELY rare one, if the title documents the car as an 1982. If the engine, trans and dif numbers match, you probably have the only one in existence, besides any that Mitsubishi has hidden in some warehouse in Japan which the public will never see.

With the exception of gutting the precat, and changing the main cat with an OEM one, I would not touch it. I especially would not drill any holes anywhere on the car to mount upgrades. As Fanta said, if you are going to upgrade it, make sure that you save the removed OEM parts.

I would not touch it though.

Do you have any pictures of it you can post?

For what it's worth.

KEN

hey, im looking for advice on whats best for the my resently aquired 1982 ja starion. This car is in excellent condition and is a credit to the previouse owners who have kept it in original condition. But i can't decide whether to keep it original or throw a few mods on the car. Are these cars worth keeping as an original collectors car?

You can ask others on this site if they feel the same way. For me, once I started modifying my car in 2002, I can't seem to stop. And it was stock for the first 12 years I owned it.

CALIBER 308

As Shelby said, you have not only a very rare Starion but I believe, an EXTREMELY rare one, if the title documents the car as an 1982. If the engine, trans and dif numbers match, you probably have the only one in existence, besides any that Mitsubishi has hidden in some warehouse in Japan which the public will never see.

With the exception of gutting the precat, and changing the main cat with an OEM one, I would not touch it. I especially would not drill any holes anywhere on the car to mount upgrades. As Fanta said, if you are going to upgrade it, make sure that you save the removed OEM parts.

I would not touch it though.

Do you have any pictures of it you can post?

For what it's worth.

KEN

actually 82 JA starions were the most common (about 700 sold) year that was released over here. unfortunately starions arent looked on as much of a collector car here yet, the latest ones (86/87 JD starion) are the most valuable as they only sold about 50 or so. everyone keeps saying they will go up in value though, i'd give it another 10 years. thats if we can still buy fuel for em then lol

the reason starions were only sold in USA from late 83 was they had to re engineer the car for the G54B and US emission requirements.