This car is complicated

Szester

Ok so i bought dans car a little while ago as im sure a lot of you know. I bought it expecting to be able to work on it. Iv always done all my own work on all my cars, i love tinkering around and stuff. but every time i pop the hood i get intimidated by the turbo, iv never worked on one. I was told this one is fairly simple to work on. Anyone have a good place to get a manual on the general workings of turbos?

Bah, these cars are fairly simple once you get to know them. There is a cd floating around with the factory manuals on it and I seem to remember a site with a download link to it but I have slept since then....

The best visual guide by far would be the S.O.S. manuals over on http://starquest.i-x.net but you have to register to view them.

FSM and part number manuals can be found at www.starquestgarage.com

As far as general workings of turbos, google it I guess.. Maybe howstuffworks.com might help.

There's really nothing to these cars. Try dealing with an OBDII car that wasn't turbo'd from the factory, watch the fuel trims get adjusted by the ECU to dangerous levels while the timing map is also meant for an NA car.. That's where the fun begins.

you know, these cars look intimidating ONLY from the random vacuum lines and emissions equipment. But trust me when I tell you this thing is a piece of cake. I can change out a starter on this thing in an hour.

It took me half a day on my Maxima.

lol JAinsworth could tell you how intimidated I was. He pretty much held my hand first times around, then regretted ever giving me his phone # for awhile :lol: now I won't hesitate to dig into my car if need be.

Just do yourself a favor, when in doubt, ask questions. You don't want to break things needlessly ( learnt this one the hard way )

Here's how to troubleshoot problems: Start unplugging things untill the problem goes away. It will start and idle with almost nothing hooked up on the engine.

LOL maybe on an 86! Common idle issues on other years are vaccum leaks, o2's and to tight of a throttle cable.

There's really nothing to these cars. Try dealing with an OBDII car that wasn't turbo'd from the factory, watch the fuel trims get adjusted by the ECU to dangerous levels while the timing map is also meant for an NA car.. That's where the fun begins.

It's not to bad if you got a 4000 hand held and the code to update with. :biggrinumbrella1:

It took me half a day on my Maxima.

Same thing goes on the maxima though...I can change out my Max starter in 30 minutes since I've done it enough.

As you familiarize yourself with any car, working on them will become easier...

well you struck it rich as far as info goes,, at the top of this forum is a sticky with site listing that with in 6 months can make you an expert on these cars

more and better info then just about any car make you can think of ;)

Edited by Shelby

Compared to newer cars they are very simple to work on.

Even the turbo you are intimidated by can be swapped out in no time.

Try working on a modern car like my 300M, now that's a PITA! :angry:

There is absolutely no room to work on it under the hood, I think the motor was put in with a shoehorn.

Colin B)

Compared to newer cars they are very simple to work on.

Even the turbo you are intimidated by can be swapped out in no time.

Try working on a modern car like my 300M, now that's a PITA! :angry:

There is absolutely no room to work on it under the hood, I think the motor was put in with a shoehorn.

Colin B)

hahahaha, yea new cars are tricky but a lot of it is electrical and electrical i can do. I have to take the wastegate out and bore it or somethin this winter, im getting flutter at like 9 lbs

Hey man < good to still see ya on the boards , I want my car back by the way :), anyway I have the manuals If you want to make me an offer I could possibly let them go, I even have the rare intercooler manual, side note you get electrical I get the motor and turbo I can help if need be to the best of my knowledge, anyway get intouch with me about the other itmes and we can discuss the manuals , By the way I bought a boat yesterday:) I am very excited about that .

Hey man < good to still see ya on the boards , I want my car back by the way :), anyway I have the manuals If you want to make me an offer I could possibly let them go, I even have the rare intercooler manual, side note you get electrical I get the motor and turbo I can help if need be to the best of my knowledge, anyway get intouch with me about the other itmes and we can discuss the manuals , By the way I bought a boat yesterday:) I am very excited about that .