20 lb. pulls in chips mpi

slydogg

Gogo TBI?....

Is mpi really THAT amazing...

*rolls eyes*

Yeah i will go off in a corner and cry now.

Chip your car looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Yes. MPI really is that amazing. Even with a 12a and a proper tune you get amazing numbers ;)

Yes. MPI really is that amazing. Even with a 12a and a proper tune you get amazing numbers ;)

That just seems like to small of a turbo for MPI. I have a 17c and the power seems to fall off above 4000-4500RPM. I have been thinking about changing to a bigger turbo unless there is something I am missing in tuning it.

Chip, is there any chance you could post your ignition map? I have the Hawk as well and I would like to compare it to mine.

Thanks,

Craig

Edited by Gz21

That just seems like to small of a turbo for MPI. I have a 17c and the power seems to fall off above 4000-4500RPM. I have been thinking about changing to a bigger turbo unless there is something I am missing in tuning it.

Chip, is there any chance you could post your ignition map? I have the Hawk as well and I would like to compare it to mine.

Thanks,

Craig

I should be able to get a screen print of it but that might take a little while. Having trouble with the computer I tune the hawk with.

I should be able to get a screen print of it but that might take a little while. Having trouble with the computer I tune the hawk with.

No problem. I am not really in a hurry. Just started playing around with the car again and I would just like to compare another map. I am wondering if that could be some of my problem on the top end. I haven't seen anyother hawk maps to compare.

Ya Chips car is a freaking Jet!

I think I've managed to squeak out around 70HP and 85Ft/lbs since you rode in it DC but I still remember that ride too. Back then I was using a stock exhaust manifold with an old CMN "20g-1a" which was a terrible turbo from day 1. James bolted a 20g cold side onto a bone stock hot side and basically hoped for the best. The center section and compressor cover are still there but other than that it's a brand new turbo recently built by forced performance. To me this is the perfect street turbo but I've not ridden in any of the GT35R cars yet. It's a sy/ty hot side ported to accept the 06H wheel now and the header is one of Chad's which I love and has been holding up beautifully for two years without a crack in site and no bracing. I also changed over to a magna M6 head and added water/meth injection since then, oh and I imagine I've changed the entire engine two or three times since then, but other than that, yeah, same car.

Thanks,

Craig

i'm running a 17c at 18 psi and i have no fall off. what boost and injectors are you running?

i used to have a 17c on my mpi car when i got it too, but i wasnt a fan of how little power i had at higher rpms. This is why i switched to the G wheel on my S16G. Like i said its not as powerful as a large turbo setup, but i get tossed into my seat alot harder than in my tbi car ever could do.

and with the S16G, i still have full power up at 6000-7000 rpm

yes mpi does make the car into a completely different experience.

and yes, it never gets old!!

Edited by ekstatixx

i'm running a 17c at 18 psi and i have no fall off. what boost and injectors are you running?

I have 65lb/hr injectors and have the boost set to 15psi. Before the MPI, the car seemed to pull alittle harder up top. Not all the way to redline but more then it does now. It is not rich, when on boost the car is typically between 12:1 and 13:1. I think that is pretty much where it needs to be.

I thought the "c" wheel turbo lost efficiency over 15psi? That is why I have never had it set any higher.

Edited by Gz21

I have 65lb/hr injectors and have the boost set to 15psi. Before the MPI, the car seemed to pull alittle harder up top. Not all the way to redline but more then it does now. It is not rich, when on boost the car is typically between 12:1 and 13:1. I think that is pretty much where it needs to be.

I thought the "c" wheel turbo lost efficiency over 15psi? That is why I have never had it set any higher.

it might have been lean before. My car loves to be leaned out on the dyno. My highest HP pulls are always around 13:1 and when it goes leaner so does the power.

Yeah, 65lb injectors here too. They work fine. 20psi has got to be pretty fun. I couldn't believe the feel of mine on a rich tune at only 10psi before the WG was sealing right. Took up to 4-4.5k to get that much boost at the time. Even for the few seconds there it felt scary really. Now that the WG is fixed and spooling, no more leak, the new tune should be wild.

Chip,

I know you've been having laptop probs lately. Any chance I can get a few maps by tomorrow morning? We'll be tuning it at 10am and have email access there. Not crucial, but it would help to see how you have some of your modifiers set up. Especially the fuel enrichment tables.

--> beautiful engine bay there Sly...tell me thats yours.

Chip,

I know you've been having laptop probs lately. Any chance I can get a few maps by tomorrow morning? We'll be tuning it at 10am and have email access there. Not crucial, but it would help to see how you have some of your modifiers set up. Especially the fuel enrichment tables.

Workin on it now.

:) since it's ask Chip day,,hows your likes or dislikes over the roller cam now you've had time to run it a bit

The roller is truly fantastic. It helps in so many ways that I hardly noticed the loss in power. In fact you may recall that when I first installed the roller, after making the 321/370pull with the 292, I was sure it felt faster. But the idle is smooth. It starts more easily. It drives nicer, mainly because is so much better behaved on part throttle cruise. It basically seems to have returned all the smoothness I lost when I eliminated the balance shafts.

You might also remember shelby that I've lost an engine and two heads to cam oiling problems. Now, they were self induced by cutting my own oil pump gasket and missing the hole that feeds the top half of the engine, but I'm still paranoid about head oiling and most of the lobes I've seen on big slip type cams have been worn down badly. I'm sure you could always find something to blame it on like reused rockers or bad break in or cheap blanks for the cam but the roller just eliminates that friction and frees up horsepower. It just feels like the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get you going.

It revs like a motorcycle engine.

Glad to hear you like it Chip. A roller might be something to look into later on. I'll have to re-read your cam thread sometime. I have to admit to having some used mech. rockers and have some small scoring on some of the cam lobes from when the stockers ticked before my oil loss probs were solved by Krankvent after this engine was built (topic for another thread). Like the singing puppy dog on the commercial I'm glad to be tick-free since.

I am curious to see how this 272 TEP street/strip cam that came with the head responds to the new setup with proper tuning. It never really did much for me on TBI, except maybe give a bit less on low end if anything. Not too aggressive though, which is probably a good thing for me.

*disclaimer* the TEP street/strip prepped head & cam came with the longblock I got with 2k on it from a wrecked built car. I do not support or advocate TEP as a reasonable vendor. =)

Had to use 1:4 on the x axis to get it all on one screen. Shoot me an email at turbo1@charter.net and I'll reply with the who ecu file. You can just open it and check it out. You can barely see the numbers after converting this screen print to a jpg.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/chipleeiii/ignitionmap.jpg