gm conversion

hi i bought my car with a bad alternator and the kid told me that i should do agm conversion. I Havent found any info on it. whats the advantage of it?

what does it consist of doing? and does anyone sell a kit?

from what i have read the stockers kinda suck. there is a few people here who did the gm conversion and there is a kit floating around here somewhere. im sure with a little more searching you will find it

from what i have read the stockers kinda suck.

Only if you start adding things that pull amperage, like aftermarket Stereo units!!!!! My stock unit has been rebuilt once in 18 years.

CALIBER 308

We've sold the kit for over 6 years, and were the first to go through the original design. We actually put quite a bit of time and effort to use the best parts for the money to produce a new alternator worth upgrading to.

PM me for details. I helped with the design, and my '87 TSi was the original guinea pig so to speak. The same alternator is working great over 20K miles later and over 7,000RPM revs. I was burning the OEM style up in 6 months before, and we never actually figured out why other than the wiring in the '87 model years are the worst.

Anyway, I give out their phone number to serious inquirys and you can deal directly with the shop that designed and makes them, and builds starters and alternators for a living, along with being auto electrical experts with many many years of experience.

If he goes to a GM 110A you wont be able to plug in the stock harness. Not sure what it does but maybe somelse does. I heard you were to just run the power and ground to it, thats it.

homeless2bny has the brackets you will need pre made and he can give you a number to get a rebuilt alt. GM 110A with a lifetime warenty on it. PM him the bracket will run you $50 I think.

Does anyone know what the harness in the back of the stock harness does?

I just installed the setup from homeless2bny.

Perfect fit and the car runs great now.

I was on my 3rd stock alternator and it was putting out 11.5v at idle and 14.9 volts at 2500 rpm.

Now its perfect 13.5v all the time. idles smoother than i ever remember.

Highly recomended :thumbsup:

So any truth to this?

Shouldn't be, the factory voltage gauge runs off the main harness and reads the battery voltage almost directly. I say almost because a lot of accessories run off the same power feed which is why you see the voltage dip when running the turn signals. ;)

As for an alternator kit, here is the Star-Orion option.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65981

I never recommend buying a lifetime warranty alternator or starter, or just about any other car part. My time and labor are worth too much to waste on pulling a cheaply made unit like those are. In most cases, the lifetime warranty one is the same exact unit with a higher price on it. Face it, the very large percentage of used car owners that need an alternator will sell the car before needing another one. When the car changes hands, the warranty goes bye-bye. So the larger parts houses don't lose much percentage wise with that offer. Plus, it is a rebuilt unit compared to the new one we offer that is much more dependable and made with quality parts.

By a newly built one from a reputable shop, and it will last a lot longer.

Only the one wire versions don't require the harness, and those by-pass the light circuit so you don't know when there is a problem such as the belt winging off, etc... We recommend using the GM wire pigtail which is very easy and basic to install. Ours comes with instructions and hardware with a precision made bracket for assured belt trueness, and the GM pigtail.

I installed a Tim_C kit for a customer. It was an easy swap with the provided hardware, and the instructions make for an easy splice into the stock harness.

It's not the cheapest choice, but then its not the cheapst alternator either ;)