WON'T START! PLEASE HELP..

FIRST OF ALL I HAVE A BATTERY THAT IS DECENTLY NEW, BUT HAS ABOUT 425-450 CRANKING POWER...

I PULLED INTO THE KROGER PARKING LOT AND TURNED THE KEY THE POWER COMES ON! SEATBELTS, LIGHTS, TURN SIGNALS.

BUT IT WON'T START!

I'LL HEAR A (CLICK,CLICK) SOUND AND THAT'S IT.

I TRIED TO JUMP START IT BUT STILL SAME THING...IS IT THE STARTER????

THANKS!

I recall something similar happening to me and it turned out to be a bad connection on the starter. It was a small wire accessible from the top, i was able to reach it by coming in from the front by the ac comp and feeling under the manifold. There was bunch of oil and stuff blocking the connection. If i wiggled the wire around it would start. I cleaned it and haven't had a problem since.

Also check the fusible link by the battery, it is the first one from the front. If this is disconnected car won't run.

It could be a weak connection at the battery too. If the ground or power cable are shot they can't pass enough power for what you need. I had a weak starting car and once i replaced both terminals it started up like a champ.

::UPDATE:::

i got the car to start!

even after jumping it...

so we went back to kroger and put it in nuetral to push it to the back of the parking lot..

once we got it into a spot i thought i'd try and start it one more time...

sure as hell! it started! i couldn't believe it..

so i so i kept it running went to get a little more gas..

HAD TO TURN IT OFF...

(it was in park of course) so when i went to turn it back on it just turned and click click!

nothing so i sat there for a second and thought i'd put it into nuetral (not idea why but i thought i'd try it!) sure enough it started?!@

so.....for some reason it will not start in park but it will start in nuetal...is something stripped?

although i did get it to start in park when i got it home to put it in the garage, so what going here???

Its your shifter bushings quite possibly... Mine is doing the same thing. Try shifting it in and out of park. It may help, it may not. Mine seems to start when it wants to but it always eventually will.

check out my post, maybe shelby will be nice enough to answer the final question :wink:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65381

The shift linkage on our transmissions changes directions a couple times, and has a few rubber or plastic bushings. These wear out, and eventually completely fall out. This, obviously, causes a lot of slop in the linkage. On the passenger side of the transmission is a lever that actually changes the gears from P, R, N, D, 2, L. Attached to that is your park/neutral safety switch. This switch allows the car to start only in park and neutral, obviously. When the shift linkage is all worn out, it won't fully put the shift lever on the transmission in the correct position (even though the car may still go into park, etc). So, the car thinks that it isn't in park or neutral. The park/neutral safety switch isn't a high failure item on our cars, but the shift linkage bushings are VERY common.... just an issue of having a car that's 20 years old.

welleverything is fine now??

strange! :?

i am startingto think that maybe there is somthing up with the park/neutral switch...

is was also raining the day that the incident happened..but once i got home and the car dried in the garage. it is now fine

is the switch electrical?

you could always bypass it,,the safety switch

but that means it will start in any gear,,,might be bad if you forget to put in park or neutral

the only reason i bypassed mine is cause its a beater from word go

it only has 1st gaer and 3rd gear,,,no 2nd or od

does have reverse

a 400 dollar beater,,,rusty bucket/daily driver

you may just wanna check the switch and fix it right ,,,but bypass is always an option,,,an works everytime

switch is electrical, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's gone bad, there's very little movement in it before it goes from thinking your in park or neutral to thinking your in a drive gear, it's just a matter of maybe 1 mm!

I replaced mine with a brand new one, they cost over $60, and it still did the no start thing, it doesn't do it as much, but thats probably because I got it adjusted better, and all the adjusting in the world won't help if you have a bunch of loose bushings under there.

Have you tried adjusting yours yet?

The safety switch is an electrical switch. And it does have some adjustment range too. download the tranny manual from www.starquestgarage.com to see the shift lever stuff, this switch, and the adjustment procedures.

Enjoy it while it seems to be working... flakey parts generally don't "heal" themselves for very long. Flakey safety switches are common on auto tranny cars - not just on StarQuests. Holding the key in START while wiggling the shift lever in PARK or NEUTRAL sometimes is enough to make it catch. I've seen Jeep Cherokees that needed this treatment a lot.

Also, if the factory alarm tripped, the starter is disabled. Using the key in one of the door locks resets the alarm.

mike c.

which parts???? im not tearing mine apart until i have parts in hand, even if it means replacing them all(the bushings that is).

thanks

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/89PalermoSHP/page23.jpg

in the above pic item # 47 is the bushings , you need 4 and one (1) #40

40 is an anchor mount bushing