Autopower Bolt-In 6-Point cage NEW

Oscar_the_Grouch

Hello All

Just wanted to know if anyone is interested in these Bolt-In Roll cages by AUTOPOWER. We all know these are the ONLY ones to have and used are almost impossible to find in any good shape amd most are weld-in not BOLT in. These are the only TRUE Bolt-In cages that will fit the StarQuest with no mods. Side bars can be removed for street driving and re-installed for track day.

Pic Bellow is from the Pegasus Race Equip Site.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/2407.JPG

The price for these on-line is an average of $780 plus sh. I started talks with one of the suppliers and they CAN offer a 10% discount (I know its not much but its soemthing) if we get 5 or more ordered for ANY CAR not just the starquest. May get a better deal if we get more orders.

I am shooting for around $700 or LESS after discount for the COMPLETE Bolt -In Cage as pictured above.

If anyone here is interested please post.

Oscar

This streight from the Autopower site:

AUTOPOWER INDUSTRIES manufactures a variety of roll bars and roll cages for street vehicles and all out race cars. Every roll bar or cage has been designed to fit specific car models so only minor modifications are necessary for the installation. Most applications are a true bolt-in and require NO WELDING. A great amount of time has gone into developing and perfecting each product to offer the utmost in strength and proper fit.

BOLT-IN ROLL CAGE

- 6-point mounting

- Diagonal cross brace and horizontal brace are a permanent weld-in design

- Top of the line in fit and construction

- SCCA & NASA legal for club racing, DGTrials / FormulaD / Drift Association legal for tandem drifting

- Designed to provide additional side impact protection with door bars and to reinforce chassis effectively

- All necessary installation hardware included

*You must specify attributes of your car when ordering -- coupe/hatchback/fastback, sunroof/no sunroof, t-tops, etc.

**All Autopower Industries equipment is made to order. Please allow up to 4 weeks to schedule a delivery. Shipping is truck freight collect. Average shipping price is $100 across the USA, will vary by location. Please include your phone number when ordering, as Autopower Industries needs to contact you via phone to arrange a delivery time.

Q- What is this made of steel or alum? Weight of the kit?

A- STEEL.. No roll cage should be aluminim just not safe enough. 2.5" OD for cars UNDER 3000lbs and 2.75" OD for cars OVER 3000 lbs. Weight of cage is aprox 100lbs ( BUT NOT SURE will have to confirm)

Q-are these race legal?

A- Oh YEAH ! ... - SCCA & NASA legal for club racing, DGTrials / FormulaD / Drift Association legal for tandem drifting

Q- Will both driver and pass seats will fit?

A- YES the wil BOTH fit no isues.

Q- Intercooled flatty should be as well I would think...howzabout a few pix of one installed !?!

A- YES Flatty and Fatty will BOTH be the same cage. As for pics installed that will be hard as not many guys have these only very popular back in the 80's when these cars were racing. BUT I will look for some but again NO promoises. If anyone here has pics of an AUTOPOWER Cage installed please post.

Thanks

Oscar

Not NHRA legal...and thats really the only thing that matters.

Get the red sticker on your cage from the NHRA and your golden... but you can't so much as grind any of your welds down or it wont be certified.

Better know how to weld, and make it look good. :)

the Weldable aluminum alloys are not stronger than steel. those that are stronger than steel and alloyed wtih metals that can't or shouldnt' be welded.

You could probably make a cage that was equaly strong, but the size and wall thickness of the tubing would be cost prohibitive, so its just not done.

Also, the heat affected zone (localized anealing) is more of a problem with aluminum, the tubing would be stong, but all the welded joints would be weak, the opposite of what you want in a cage.

If I am not mistaken ALL NHRA cages MUST be welded in NOT bolt in.

There IS a U-Weld cage design but its like $400 more for the complete CAGE, as you will need the standard Roll BAR and then the front weld in cage made to the car.

Check with Autopower to confirm. I am SURE they'll make one for you but the issue will be overall cost. Might as well have a local shop make one for you to NHRA specs.

Oscar

Yep, I fab up everything I do...

Really, the material for my cage is only $230 bucks... I can bend and weld it in myself... it's sad to know that people have to pay that much for labor on a bolt in product that only had to be fabbed once.

I guess if your a die hard SCCA only fan this would be ok if the price is less then getting one welded in the right way locally.

Maybe a seperate list of interested parties would be ideal for NHRA and NON-NHRA interested buyers.

If you get 5 non NHRAs, you're in business.

5 or more NHRA required buyers and one of us may stand to do well creating a complete set of prebent bars to send out with clear labels on how to weld it in there. $230 for parts, plus R&D, $400 should be beatable by our own members, depending on production time/cost.

Best of luck to you all & thanks for bring up another option Oscar.

This turns out to be a Kirk racing but you get the idea.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4985/dsc00740yw6.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2511/dsc00739bv1.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3025/dsc00738sj4.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2592/dsc00737nj7.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1387/dsc00736ha7.jpg

Kane

• 2 weeks later...