3.90 drop out

Haztoys1

read the posts again... they are not using our ring gear, they are using the diff.. I really want to get to the bottom of this as my lsd is shot and had been planning on replacing it... Is it simply a matter of "modifying" the starion housing for clearance or what?? If our diff fits in there housing then theirs should fit in ours as I see it. This is for my daily driver so I want something fairly simple. Project 700hp is getting a 9" based IRS :D

thr 4x4 trucks and monteros come with LSD from the factory (very few 4x4's didnt) in the rear.

again the montero/mighty max guys use our LSD unit in the front housing not the rear. The rear housing is a live axle on the trucks and is an entire different design.

Well, I screwed up and first thought it was an '87 drop out, but he clearly stated '88. I don't have 6 bolt axles or hubs, so I determined I should not buy this drop out pumpkin.

I want to set up a 4 bolt rear with 3.90 gears because it is much lighter, and should hold the power just fine with those gears. There is less stress on all the parts with lower gears, so that is the route I want to take. Keep the light weight and still be strong enough.

My apologies.

It all good Tim ... I have to go get a 85 flatty ... I "think" its to far gone to fix ..Motor fire and been setting for years... A rat motel..I "hear" ... And I'm not real up on the erely diff...Not sure it would work for you ... But I want do know what fits what anyhow ...

So maybe we can get you a drop out geared that way... It will be a week or so befor I can get up to get it ... Why is it ranchers in norther Arizona have old Quests on there land ...LOL..Strange ...

Cowboys and Quest .??? Oil and water..??? Black and white .. :? ..Good for me .. :D ..

David

Hazardous Toys inc

PsssT ......Chip ..Were the hell I'm I to mail this too... :wink:

excuse me mr fabulous. First off my info was gained from reider racing who said it will work... If you have tested it and it does not great..saves me from having to fight with them over the return, as I was about to order one.

The smart arse attitude can be left at the door if you dont mind though...as usual just trying to provide any info I learn about. And dont call me an ameteur buddy... You dont even know me :wink:

Mr Lidoidol... And you do not know me ... Theres some guys on here who realy work hard at a doing RnD work for the good of the club ...Hands on hours and hours of work ...Not NET BS'ers who read some thing and took it as right..Then post it for you to use for "free"... Not call some salesman and take "his" word for it ...

( Reider is the worst jacked up gear sales place on the plant.. Some things they have you can only get from them ..I have never got a shippment from them with out it dicked up ..Day job is modding ..Shop owner ..Gear God .. Mr Fabulous I'm going to run with that..LOL..When it comes to gears ..You bet I am..Gear setting is voodoo..I kill a chicken befor each diff set up...Sorry on the chicken blood on your diff Chip ... :wink: )..

.You came in "my" for sale post and told the the "whole club" ... I was riping them off and it was EZ ...No offence..And your info was wrong .. And then we get "Mr Wallmart" saying it can be done for $200.00..Ive never payed over $500.00 for a Quest ... And I have two cars in the "vault" with under 35.000 miles ... So now ever time someone wants to sale a car ..I'm going to crash there sales post and tale them .."You should not pay that.. " ...

You stood your ground on hear say info ... No were on the Reider page does it say "locker" ... No were on the Reider page does it say Starion ... A locker is "not" a LSD ... Now if someone just read as far as your post ...They think theres a locker for a Starion..And I charge to much for my work ...Great...

And a locker is the last thing you want in a sports car..I can see you have not been around a locker .. Lockers are great in Jeeps at low speed...And I can get a Quest LSD al most to locker spec.. Lockers put way to much trama to the drive tran..On a street car..

And you will see that I never post in a thread about turbos ... Its not my strong point ...I read every turbo post ..And let the turbo exsperts do what they do... Not web surf then crash a post..Do I have a ego ...I bet a mess of long standing members would say I do not ...No offence my freind ..

That "LSD" D50 diff is $350.00 (good price for a LSD all you truck owners) that will not work ..new gears on a GP buy are "like $300.00..Set up is say will go cheap $150.00 .. Used diff $100.00.. Its cost me $72.00 to get the diff to Chip in SC ... And I'll give you a break on ajusting the LSD diff plates $50.00..That can't be done with out a press.. We got $40.00 in seals ...Paypal got me for $16.00... And that adds up too ... Alot more then Chip payed ...Chip was on this like a duck on a june bug...Why..?? ... Chad ,TimC ,Monty, Chip... Some heavy hiters in the club ...Arts had one of my diffs under his car for years ...I'm the keeper of the Quest diff info ... Lost of time and money and busted knuckles...So I can give you free info ... At what point do I get respect...Post like this make me not want to give info..

Why won't the D-50 diff work you ask ..You need to go back and read the post ..Not me ...And if you want to take the sales mens word over mine.. Order it and install it ..You say your LSD is bad ... I bet if you reshimed it ..It would be fine ... Mail it to me I'll get it restacked and you can get your car fixed .. I'm realy not trying to be a d***.. I have never come across bad plates that could not be shimed in a Quest ...If you cooked a LSD you the man ..I can't seam to get one to frag.. Dam drive shaft breaks first... A Quest has one of the best LSD in the car world ..Four spiders ..Good heavy plates ...I've tryed to break one .. Remember I RnD thing ... And that takes trying to get it to come apart..There just stacked wrong from the factory..I'm not going to go into why the D-50 diff will not work ..I've wasted anuff time on this ... It will not work ..Why ..?? ..Because I've had my hands on it ..And I said so.. One more time the biggy is its to wide from diff bearing to diff bearing...Could it be made to work .. No need to RnD that ...We have the same thing in the car stock ... I'm the one "trying" to doing diff work for the club... As is Tim on cams ..As is Oscar on oil lines ..And Chad on T56 trans .. And some other hard working guys that help the club...The one thing thats holeding these cars back is gearing ..

Wrong info in a car forum should be a crime ...

Sorry if I come across as a d*** ... It just gets old when someone tales you your biss...Like I said ..The price I gave was the best "I" can do ..

Just reshim the plates on your LSD ...I bet there still good ... Mitsu set theses LSD up loose ... The reason is a tight LSD will make the car "pitch" on slipry roads ...Some thing Mitsu's lawers did not like ..Same reason Ford stop putting lockers in 60's Mustangs...

Some thing I think Chip was hoping to do .. :wink:

And on my smart a$$ attitude only comes out in forsale post that keep getting crashed by wrong info...How was it put in a PM or two to me over this .."I wish the drama would stay out of forsale posts"... Not my words ..

Have a good day

Mr Fabulous

Hazardous Toys inc

Yeah, I don't know if non-IC 4-bolt axle drop out rears are the same as IC cars with 4 bolt axles?

I could definitely use an '85 w/3.90's though. Let me know if you plan on doing that.

Yes, I follow your pricing there. It came up to $1078, which is what I was trying to say too. Local shops want the seal kit, new bearings (which you never need, but they won't start it without them sitting there), etc..., etc...

Then they will do their best, which can not be compared to someone with experience on these rears, and who knows the stack is wrong to begin with.

$500 is a bargain!

Thanks for the good word Tim..Im second in line for a 87 diff thats for sale..So thats another avenue to get you a 87 diff.. will see were that goes..Your the one who needs the 3.90's for your cam work..These cars are never going to get in the lime light inless we step out of the box ..They will turn RPM..Thats one of the great thing about the 2.6..You set one up for torqe..Or go the high RPM rout.. The latter is were I've gone...Had the boys at Boeing sniff and lick the diff bearings ..They were real inpressed with the make up of metals and hardness...I have one set of bearings I keep just for the hell of it ..That have 350.000 miles on them..And can't tale..Shelby ran the gears in his truck for some time..The diff bearings can be real pricey new... I wonder how many 2.6 heads you would have to change to get 350.000 mile on a Quest..LOL.. I've got a box of bearings from all the truck diff's I've plunder..And I would have no problem using them..These cars are funny ..Some stuff on them is real good stuff.. And other are not ..No gray area...Keep looking in the parts sale page ...Will find some thing...

Have a good day

David

Hazardous Toys inc

So if I sent you my diff & 3.90 gears it would cost how much for set up restack and seals?

The shipping both ways from 17602 would be alot.

Hi Mr Rescue...You seam to be new to the family..Good to have you..

Shipping to and from would kill the deal im sure.. UPS got me for $72.00 to ship Chips diff one way..The diff boxed is 66 pounds....Never looked at what Fed-X would break it off in me for shipping,, dam gas prices..I realy do not make any money on the Quest diff I do here..And thats OK..No matter what people think or may post.. :roll: .. :cry: ..I do it because I love the cars and I "know" taht 3.90's and higher RPMs is the way to go on these cars..Realy gun shy these days..I'm sure more then you would be wanting to pay...

David

Hazardous Toys inc

PS..You seem to have a turbo truck ..Would love more info...

Could you PM me a quote on rebuilding two '88 differentials with 4.22 gears? I've got 3x 88 diffs here that are all a bit worn out. I'd like to turn them in to 2 that are ready to go drifting... Never going to be street driven.

David, are you still in Arizona or are you up in the NW now? I'll be out in Phoenix again this year and would love to see the shop. (maybe I can smuggle a set of gears on the plane with me lol)

So if I sent you my diff & 3.90 gears it would cost how much for set up restack and seals?

The shipping both ways from 17602 would be alot.

Hi Mr Rescue...You seam to be new to the family..Good to have you..

Shipping to and from would kill the deal im sure.. UPS got me for $72.00 to ship Chips diff one way..The diff boxed is 66 pounds....Never looked at what Fed-X would break it off in me for shipping,, dam gas prices..I realy do not make any money on the Quest diff I do here..And thats OK..No matter what people think or may post.. :roll: .. :cry: ..I do it because I love the cars and I "know" taht 3.90's and higher RPMs is the way to go on these cars..Realy gun shy these days..I'm sure more then you would be wanting to pay...

David

Hazardous Toys inc

PS..You seem to have a turbo truck ..Would love more info...

I bought my first Mits in 1980, a plymounth Fire Arrow 2.6 5spd 4wheel disk brakes. Added headers, weber carb and Monza exhaust and wooped my buddys 350 Laguna.

Turbo intercooled the Arrow in 1990 with parts from a rolled 85.5 ESI. Bought my 88 TSI in 1994 and let the Arrow go to seed. I picked up a 88 Ram 50 sport 4wd auto 4.22 gears and turboed it with the system from the arrow. Its been on the road since dec 2000 about 48,000 miles on the conversion maybe 8k towing a trailer. 9lbs boost 2.5 exhaust marnel head and cat.

Trucks been very reliable pulls like a ox, pass anything but a gas station. Added a posi carrier from a montero. I can get 15.9 at the track if i power brake and launch in 4wd.

The one thing i did diferent from the trucks i see an the net. I spaced the front bumper out 5/8 to 3/4 inch. This allowed me to mount an unmodified quest innercooler at the stock angle below the front bumper.

PS I got my first computer and looked at the first fourm in dec 2006.