4G63 swap time!

Mackzero

First off let me introduce myself...

My name is Scott and I own MAKK Motoring LLC in Ephrata, WA.

I have owned my 88 Starion for a few years, and it has sat without being touched as the motor had a spun rod bearing. I will update this thread as I progress on the build and will try to produce some limited production parts for making it easier to do the 4G63 motor swap for others.

The motor I will be using is a 2.0L 4G63 6-bolt commonly found it Gen 1 turbo eclipses. I may possible install a 2.3L stroker kit, using the 2.4L crank and forged rods and pistons to help with the torque loss. The engine management will be an 1G Eprom ecu with DSMLink and a modified factory harness. I will also use the 3" GM MAFT setup. The transmission has yet to be decided, but I want to use a 6-speed T-56 from an F-body (Z-28 camaro or WS6 firebird for example). I will be using the stock rearend with a custom drive shaft. The car will run a larger turbo, and my hp goal is over 500 rwhp to start with.

I have allready owned a few DSMs and my last one was near 400 awhp possibly more, on pump gas and a stock bottom end. As stated above, I own a custom shop, and this is not a pipe dream but a real project I hope you will all follow. I allready have the motor, ecu, dsmlink, a Turbonetics T-72 turbo (which I may or may not use), and the harness. I will custom make the intake and exhaust manifolds, as well as the motor mounts, tranny mount, and other custom piping etc. that will be needed IN HOUSE.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask, I will also be producing a cage for the car, which I may produce for sale. A full version as well as a rear 6-point with harness bar should be available if there is enough interest. I may also look into some suspension customization if what I want is not available to me.

Thanks for the space guys!

Scott Mackey

MAKK Motoring LLC

Stroll on over to :

http://www.nwstarquest.com/phpBB/index.php

and get connected with some semi-locals while you are at it.

There is a completed 2.4 conversion in the seattle area. If you used the 2.4 wide bolt block, there is a T56 conversin kit already made (that I make). I don't know how well the 4G63 will mate up, from Pics I've seen, one of the T56 bell housing bolts gets in the way of the top starter bolt. If you made a T-56 4G63 kit, I'm sure you'll have no problem selling those.

I've driven my T56 with the stock diff gears, it's nearly impossible to use 6th off boost, but it sure is nice to drop the clutch and not worry about the trans, that's the whole reason I swapped. With a 3.90 gear set you can get a lot of the streetability back, and there is a 4.22 gear set that will fit as well, that makes the ratiosn nearly OEM. I make a pinion adapter to, allows you to use 1350 series U-joints.

Welcome and post often, many will be interested in seeing your progress.

Thanks Chad, I just sent you a PM. I could source a 2.4L block, and go that route, especially if you have the kit available. I know the narrow block route will be somewhat troublesome, I am rather new to the Starquest world, and need to do quite a bit of research. My main focus is getting people set up with a custom harness, so they can run their 4g63 motors with dsmlink, as many do in the eclipse crowd. Most turbo cars at the junk yards still have their harnesses, and eprom ecus are not too expensive, DSMLink is around $600 with the socketing though... What people need to realize though, is it is very reliable to use and tuning is extremely easy. If I can get the transmission part of my project taken care of via. you, then the swap will be very easy going in my opinion.

www.projectzerog.com

A website dedicated to what you are doing. There are some more transmission options there as well. Personally, I am going with a 4g64 wideblock, b2600 bell housing, starion flywheel and clutch, and a RX7 TII transmission. I have some pics posted of my setup on zerog.

Look forward to your project. Take lots of photos along the way.

Kane

Well, I drove to Oregon the other night, and picked up a 2.4L block from a 90 Mighty Max. I have everything disassembled, and I am pulling the rest of the Starion parts I do not need today. I will post before and after pics tomorrow. Should be loads of fun... :roll:

Scott

I am slowly getting together my parts for the build. I still need the transmission parts, and new suspension. I am taking the block over the my machinist next week, as well as the head. I will take some pics and put them up next week.

Scott

If you can find one, I'd highly suggest going with a 2.0 wideblock, and avoid the 2.4 blocks. There's a reason why even lower-mileage units out of stock automatic vehicles show a lot of crank wear. I've yet to understand why people still go with this option.

Good call on the wideblock instead of going with the 4G63 block. Makes transmission selection a lot easier.

The other aspect is that I'd axe the MAF translator. Those things are suspect at best, especially with the DSMLink in the loop. I'm still pushing for them (DSMLink) to try to get a MAP based version of the DSMLink available.

As far as the harness, it's not that hard of a job to utilize the DSM harness in there.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.4 6-bolt block holds up just fine when prepped right. (oil squiters mainly) I have a 2.0 crank, so I could build the 2.3 stroker, that many people are doing. I ran the MAFT on my 1G with DSMLink and it worked fine. I was making around 500 crank hp. I know what you are saying though about going with the MAP setup instead, I will keep my options open on that until the last minute. I am using the stock harness in the car, it will be mostly hidden.

Scott

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks I try . Kept the swap cheap as I could got that 2.0 wideblock for 600 it was a old crate motor some shop forgot about and a new owner bought the place and posted it , I was like im already there dud bag it up .slapped a DOHC head on that bugger and heck yes its fast . Actually there is alot of work involed for that swap but the good part is the block bolts in to are trans. of course and motor mounts dont need to be changed , so with that its all gravy. Ive done some big dollar swaps for guys using the 2.4 wideblock makes me dream wish I could through that kind of cash at a car it would be flat out sick.

you have a 2.0 wideblock turbo 12 valve or 8 . Mine was the 12v turbo sirus course its a hybrid now with the DOHC head . Do you have a 2.4 in your quest already .all ive done with mine is ARP's cometic head gasket and AEM to run it ,started it with a stock ecu but didnt like the fuel cut and other limitations of a stock ecu . so I tuned it up with the AEM oh ya and a fedenza flywheel . 20 psi bost and its fast as #*.I like to hear what other people have done .

you have a 2.0 wideblock turbo 12 valve or 8 . Mine was the 12v turbo sirus course its a hybrid now with the DOHC head . Do you have a 2.4 in your quest already .all ive done with mine is ARP's cometic head gasket and AEM to run it ,started it with a stock ecu but didnt like the fuel cut and other limitations of a stock ecu . so I tuned it up with the AEM oh ya and a fedenza flywheel . 20 psi bost and its fast as #*.I like to hear what other people have done .

I have the 2.0 wideblock we got here in the states. Pretty hard to find but not to uncommon. It is 8 valve non-turbo. I have everything to do the DOHC turbo swap on it but just don't have time to get it together. My 2.4 is fully built and just waiting on time to drop it in my car. I may be going with Holley Commander 950 EMS or I have in mind to experiment with some Ford stuff. Plan to use the RX7 trans as well.

http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372

http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3195

I think I made a few posts here about it too.

PM me if you want more details.

Kane

I found a dodge 904 transmission with are quest bell housing used that would work out well after u build it up full manual valve body . or the suporo i think it was called that has a saginof in it with a 2.6 . Anyway sounds like you got it covered let me know when u finish up shot me some pics .

• 2 months later...
Quick ? is the cyclone a wide or narrow I have one that i am going to put in my 88 it looks pretty much the same as the narrow so my guess is that it is a narrow and ive read that the d50 trans bolts up to it but i will put the starion internals into the d50 trans