MPI whats the difference?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to FIP their circuit board is their own design. I don't know if it's still the case, but in the beginning they were using Megatune for tuning, which means that their embeded(ECU) code has to be nearly identical to MS code.

Given the choice between the two, I'd get an MS version 3.0 board with MS-I processor, and run MS-extra code. You can build it yourself or buy it pre-built. If you want full IAC control and a few other options then spring for an MS-II processor(same V3.0 board)(~$85 more).

the FIP board is a fuel only controller. altho they also have a ignition controller.

MS controls everything and comes with a MAP sensor on the board.

at least i tihnk ive got that right...

thanks for the info. i was thinking about going FIP because of simplicity. i really wanted to do the MS 2 V3. i dont know what the right decision is. the only other thing i would consider is the SDS.

what to do , what to do! :cry:

the FIP board is a fuel only controller. altho they also have a ignition controller.

MS controls everything and comes with a MAP sensor on the board.

at least i tihnk ive got that right...

you're wrong

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/edwardcase00/magna.html

How abot you say what i am wrong about.

thanks for the info. i was thinking about going FIP because of simplicity. i really wanted to do the MS 2 V3. i dont know what the right decision is. the only other thing i would consider is the SDS.

what to do , what to do! :cry:

I would definaetly go with FIP for our cars... premade wiring harness and map programmed ready to go is really hard to beat.

The SDS is really easy to install. IIRC there are only about 10 wires to connect. The manual is pretty good as well as their tech support.

My car started and ran fine with the out of the box settings for about 1000 miles before it was tuned.

My brother is going to be selling his soon. Same as mine 4F never used with everything. We'll be running a Motec on his.

Hi

I have the FIP system. It works great. One thing I did like was it uses a Map sensor that you mount under the hood . If bad, easy to replace (GM). they are working on there own software to run there system. They also have a nice dash or hand held controller to make adjustments with out using a laptop. The harness that came with the kit was made very nice and the book had alot of details on how to install it and trouble shooting. After installing mine I bumped the key, not thinking it would start at first. because I still had to set my fuel pressure it started right up. They give you so much extra stuff in the kit to help mount the harness I didn't use it all, Tie straps ,wire cover, on top of there premade harness is already tied and covered. At first FIP was hard to reach by phone, then I found out "leave a message" and they will call you back. Every time I've left a massage they called me the same day ( might be at night ) but they called !! They have a new Ing system with coils for each cylinder that will tie in with there systems . That will be one of the next things I get and the Hand held controller.

I was really looking at MS system . but when I saw FIP price and it came with a harness for the Starquest it was hard to beat ! I'm sure there is always something better, But it is a good unit and they Love the Starquest

just like us!! the hard stuff is already done ! When you talk to them on the phone they will talk, not like some. As soon as you get them they are trying to get you off the line .

There are alot of nice systems out there. Its like buying tires, which one ?

Len

Haltech is pretty easy to setup and run as well. You can get a wiring harness ready to go. Or you can get one without the terminals on yet and cut it to fit. I think too many have been too quick to look at MS first, because of the price :roll:, without considering the other options.

I was just on the MS website, maybe I missed something, but can a MS only control your fuel and ignition?

Plus none of this stuff is for beginners either. Should have someone help you out that knows how to work and what it does. I've gotten several emails/pm's asking about using MS1 or MS2. And most of them were the most simple questions that could of been answered in the sticky post in this forum. I'm getting close to be really experience with the MS now because I read hours/days/months/ even now its been 2 years. I pretty much can rewire up a engine and mod the circuit board and have it tuned in for basic within a weekend.

Haltech is pretty easy to setup and run as well. You can get a wiring harness ready to go. Or you can get one without the terminals on yet and cut it to fit. I think too many have been too quick to look at MS first, because of the price :roll:, without considering the other options.

I was just on the MS website, maybe I missed something, but can a MS only control your fuel and ignition?

It can do more than just fuel and igntion

if you like more options the best bet is to use the MSnS Extra firmware and get a crap load of features like

boost controller

knock detect also retards timing when knock is sense

traction control

Nitrous control

rev limiter on spark or fuel cut

12x12 tables but I hear rumors that they soon will have the 16x16 tables

I suggest not to get the MS2 because its too new that doesn't have enough features available like the MSnS extra

Hi

They have a new Ing system with coils for each cylinder that will tie in with there systems .

Len

I have dealt with FIP Ed and Scott were very good and tried helping me everyway. We all could not figure out what was the problem with my car. My two main problem was idle and will not pass about 5800rpm and I said just screw it and got a MS and did help a difference. As for the coils. I love how they finally got the EDIS gear on the pulley. I love it. But its not Single coils its a coil pack. New cars today are single coils to every cyl which you can have done on MS too. The more you read about MS you will be surprise what it can do. I hate it when people just take a half hour to look it over and then decide that its not worth it. There's been couple if not several vehicles are running 1000HP+++. FIP system can do it too I'm sure but I just had headaches with it. But they are great customer support.

Hi

You are right it is a coil pack . the only thing bad about that is if one coil goes out then you have to buy a whole pack. It still has a coil percylinder just made in one unit.. Why did your system only turn 5800 did you every find the problem. I've had mine up to 6500-6700 still pulling just can't get it out of gear unless I let off the gas ! It's like the shifter get lock-in and want come out of gear. at 6000 no problem. What kind of Ing. system were you running with your FIP at that time.

Just asking ( If I ever have that problem with my system )

Len

Hi

You are right it is a coil pack . the only thing bad about that is if one coil goes out then you have to buy a whole pack. It still has a coil percylinder just made in one unit.. Why did your system only turn 5800 did you every find the problem. I've had mine up to 6500-6700 still pulling just can't get it out of gear unless I let off the gas ! It's like the shifter get lock-in and want come out of gear. at 6000 no problem. What kind of Ing. system were you running with your FIP at that time.

Just asking ( If I ever have that problem with my system )

Len

Ignitionpro it was a headache. I sent it back to ed and scott and they saw no problems and seem I did do everything right. So we had no idea then. With MS I easily got to rev up to 7k no problem. I loved how it sounded too lol.

Hey I am a noob but what are you guys talking about I think about a fuel management system but I don’t know and how much will it help me

I have an 88 tsi auto

Hey I am a noob but what are you guys talking about I think about a fuel management system but I don’t know and how much will it help me

I have an 88 tsi auto

It all depends if you are a very decent at working with electrical wires and setting up fuel tables and spark tables and setting the lock down dist. there's quite alot of things to do.

mpi from fip is awsome work great no probs at all

i love it i cant wait till there software comes out

they been saying that for the pass two years about the software and still isn't out. How hard can it be? FIP is great just not the software issue.

Plus none of this stuff is for beginners either. Should have someone help you out that knows how to work and what it does. I've gotten several emails/pm's asking about using MS1 or MS2. And most of them were the most simple questions that could of been answered in the sticky post in this forum. I'm getting close to be really experience with the MS now because I read hours/days/months/ even now its been 2 years. I pretty much can rewire up a engine and mod the circuit board and have it tuned in for basic within a weekend.

so you recommend i get megasquirt 1 and have them load MsNs on it?

does the MsNs have the ability to control ignition? I wish they had a "menu" based website where everything was tailored to what you want

example:

If you want fuel only =

Fuel and ignition =

i have no fear of the install a i install/ fix and reengineer much more complicated electronics on a daily bases but picking the correct ecu has me confused.

If i buy the megasquirt I what are my options?

cashaudio and easton seem to have the best grasp of the MS systems, maybe you 2 guys should build a FAQ that cannot be replied to (site admin should be able to enable that function for you). As with other MS threads they tend to get jumbled with questions that have led to my confusion. I have already ordered and cancelled the order due to my confusion with what i need.

MSI with MSNS-e will control fuel and spark.

it has 12x12 tables, but you only have a single fuel and a single spark table, no dual tables.

MSII is faster. 24mhz over 8mhz.

MSII has more ram. 2048k (2mb) ram vs 512k (.5mb) ram.

but as far as I can see, MSNS-e does everything MSII does just less the speed/ram. So MSII will have higher sample rates...

IMO if you arent running a v8+ I think MSNS-e will be fine and save yah some $.

but get the v3.0 mainboard.. you wont regret that!

so you recommend i get megasquirt 1 and have them load MsNs on it?

does the MsNs have the ability to control ignition? I wish they had a "menu" based website where everything was tailored to what you want

example:

If you want fuel only =

Fuel and ignition =

i have no fear of the install a i install/ fix and reengineer much more complicated electronics on a daily bases but picking the correct ecu has me confused.

If i buy the megasquirt I what are my options?

cashaudio and easton seem to have the best grasp of the MS systems, maybe you 2 guys should build a FAQ that cannot be replied to (site admin should be able to enable that function for you). As with other MS threads they tend to get jumbled with questions that have led to my confusion. I have already ordered and cancelled the order due to my confusion with what i need.

MS1 with MSnS Extra control more things than anyother MS firmware. Yes it can control spark. I just recently did my bro's 92 dodge stealth SOHC and did a quick search how to trigger the dist. Reason of doing it on his stealth was because car just totally died and told him about MS and he was like sure. After doing couple wiring mod inside the MS and loaded up some files to get it going and Started right up after the 3rd crank. Without even changing anymore settings, I took it for a spin and it was alot better. Even got better after I did couple minor tuning. Pretty much He can keep up with my 91 stealth DOHC that is stock. It's not even dialed in. MS been the best for me so far. Yes you will get some headaches on some issue. Thats y I'm also here to help. I do have files that can be emailed to you to get started for the G54b.

Monty get the MSI and you have to download the MSnS Extra 029t firmware. If you really don't want to get it setup. I'm more willing to do it if you ship it to me and I can get it started. If you like I can mod the dist for ya too. Just send me couple bucks to do somethings to it for ya :wink: As go for anyone else.

I can talk to the mods about FAQ for the Megasquirt but we would need alot of interest of others. I am also willing to do a video how to setup. It took me about 2 months to find the true setup. The diagram is in the Sticky.

So yes get the Megasquirt 1 3.0v not 2.2 its a hassle to put the flyback circuit and other options you would like in it.

thanks cash

i dont mean to seem "dense" i just like to fully visualize something before i jump in.

i wanted to run EDIS in the near future but locking down the distributer for now would help me learn the process before taking that step.

ill be in contact after the holidays!

I really appreciate all your help and patience!!

monty

MSI with MSNS-e will control fuel and spark.

it has 12x12 tables, but you only have a single fuel and a single spark table, no dual tables.

MSII is faster. 24mhz over 8mhz.

MSII has more ram. 2048k (2mb) ram vs 512k (.5mb) ram.

but as far as I can see, MSNS-e does everything MSII does just less the speed/ram. So MSII will have higher sample rates...

IMO if you arent running a v8+ I think MSNS-e will be fine and save yah some $.

but get the v3.0 mainboard.. you wont regret that!

You are wrong about no dual tables yes it has dual tables infact fuel tables have total of 3 and spark has two when you kick the NOS on or what every option you like to use it for. Yes MSII is faster but you again wrong about MSII does the same as MSI does. Do the research abit more. MSII has less feature than MSI because its too new that they have not tested all the other features but they are working on making a MSnS Extra for the MSII. Y can't you use v8 or more on the MSnS Extra? It has been tested. If I'm not mistaken Parish that has the 1000+HP truck is running the MSnS Extra.

As for some of you wanting the MSII processor, You can change them right now in a couple minutes with couple things to change.