CARBON FIBER HOOD IS HERE! (GP CLOSED)

101PROPOSE

You see, I knew he'd do it! Good job M! Everyone had a right to be a little doubtful, since the old CF GP's went bust. But M did it :!:

Man I had a strong feeling he'd come up with something, since he's already making a lot of other good stuff for the StarQuest. Another great part of all this is he is a StarQuest owner himself, so I'm sure he tests all his products on his own ride before selling them...and he's not just some faceless supplier, but a guy who, since he owns one, wants to make cool stuff to put on his car. I mean, he wouldn't be peddling some garbage on the internet, knowing it's pure crap and then slap it on his own car; you see my point.

Keep up the Great work M :!:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is an idea:

Shipping is a major cost to the consumer, and huge haslte for the shipper.

for those in major areas with multiple customers, you can have the hoods bundeled and shipped to just one member, then that member can distribute to other local members.

I bet you can get them shipped 3-5 at a time for little more than the single unit cost, and that saves as much as ~$100 per hood for the consumer, and means far less packageing for the shipper.

Imagine the cost savings of having 10 so-cal hoods shipped to a single so-cal member, the box of 10 hoods would probably be only $250 to ship, that's better than the $1500 ($150x10), thats a savings of $1250/10=$125 per hood saved :shock: I'm sure those members would be willing to drive to the distribution point to save $125.

Savings could easily be had even on shipemnts of even just 2, the added weight would be negledgable and probalby be the same cost to box and ship, you just cut the shipping per-hood in half :lol: .

Best part too, these potential cost savings would increase the number of potential buyers, which reduces to the cost for evryone.

That would be a good idea, but i live really far up north in Canada.

i would have to pickup from someone in Seattle or further up north. :)

i added some more pictures for you to check out and here are my answers to some of your questions.

1. "What is the weight, and which resin system is used? West 105 epoxy perhaps? Dupont UV Gelcoat?"

a. it is about 20lbs, i am not sure exactly what resin system and gelcoat were used for the sample hood. i am sure my supplier used good quality material, same one used for many other good quality carbon fiber hoods being sold. i think i can ask them to use certain type of resin and gelcoat(dupont uv) or any others you ask but the cost of the hood might go up higher. it is like asking a body shop to use certain brand name material you prefer (i guess higher quality than the average)and paying extra for it.

2. "Hopefully it's fully CF cloth and not a few outer layers of CF cloth over FG etc"

a. i think it does have layers of cf cloth over the frp(firber glass reinfored plastic). most of the top quality carbon fiber hoods ive sold such as vis & extreme dimension hoods were made?/looked same way(carbon fiber on the top and the black frp bottom). i have never seen a carbon fiber hood that used carbon fiber for the outside (top) and the inside(bottom). based on my experience.

3. "is that 40 total of 40 CF and 40 Fiberglass?"

a. yes, mix and match 40+ hoods for better price.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

thanks,

101PROPOSE@VERIZON.NET

http://www.mookeeh.com/starquest/a.jpg

http://www.mookeeh.com/starquest/b.jpg

http://www.mookeeh.com/starquest/d.jpg

http://www.mookeeh.com/starquest/e.jpg

http://www.mookeeh.com/starquest/f.jpg

http://www.mookeeh.com/starquest/g.jpg

Looks to be a very sturdy and rigid piece, perfect for street use. I made a 100% CF hood on the 83 mold I have and it came out to only 8 pounds, but it would twist and flex if you pulled on the corners which would require hood pins on the front corners (in my plans anyway). It was however indestrictable, CF will not break like glass will.

If it were to be made lighter than 20 pounds, it would need more CF and less FG, and it would flex more, that is not good for street use.

I wouldn't mess with that design or ask for different options, what is offered is a perfect stock replacement, anything else will have comprimises in cost (lots more $$) or rigidity.

I never persued making hoods off my mold because of the cost to do it my way (ultra light). You cheap bums would never buy a $1000 CF hood only to save 12 pounds over this $500 CF/FG hood :wink: what is offered is a great price for the apparent quality

Do you have any pics of the fiberglass hood.

I will be painting it anyway and if the quality is the same then i may as well save some money and go with the fiberglass one.

thanks and great work!!!!!

Yeah thats my plan too.. I'd hate to paint over CF... if thats even possible

When are you thinking you will need some cash by? Is this a one time deal or are they going to be available for as long as there is a demand? Hardly any of us are rich so we will need to know when you need the cash. I know I'm going to have to scrape so change together to get one

slow to no responses... reminds me of every GP that has gone down the poop hole...

JUST WAIT! This guy obviously knows how to run a business, look at his eBay rating. Most businesses don't have 4hrs of free time to browse forums.

Don't worry, im sure in the next 6 months these will be on ebay steadily.

JUST WAIT! This guy obviously knows how to run a business, look at his eBay rating. Most businesses don't have 4hrs of free time to browse forums.

Don't worry, im sure in the next 6 months these will be on ebay steadily.

I assume that time frame is in relation to a "anytime solo purchase". I emailed the guy about the hood GP and he was trying to determine when to start the buy and end it. I requested a start time of now and end time before Oct.30th. To start anytime after that would not be good due to the holidays and bill repay there after. It would be spring of next year before anyone has any money. I'm am not rich by no means in fact before 7 months ago, I was in and out of work,newly bankrupt just before the deadline of new law and trying to do what little bit I could on the car with nickles and dimes. All this stress due to point accumulation on my license. I had 5 points. Unfortunately I have a CDL and could not get a job for nothing. Now I'm clean-No points! and I am driving for the County. excellent pay,benefits, security.... Can't ask for more than that. Anyway, I have a few dollars to put forth for this hood, and can sacrifice to get the other bit. I don'y like the price all that much, however It's either 6oo for a brand spankin new hood or 4oo for some BS + extra to restore it to. I mean people are actually trying to sell hoods that are rusted,dented, and cutup for 400 bones. I guess starquest means fool in another :evil: language. :evil:

I'm tempted to get in on this too. I don't usually impulse buy, but this is a really nice hood. You can pencil me down pending confirmation of a timeframe that you can get these and the final purchase price. The timeframe is more critical than the prices for me. PM me when you get a better idea of the demand and the projected date for delivery.

Damn fine hood

sorry for the late reply.

i was out of town and just got back.

1. so whats on the underside?

a. black frp(fiber glass reinforced plastic)

2. Do you have any pics of the fiberglass hood?

a. no, i only have a carbon fiber hood right now. fiberglass hood should be same style as carbon fiber hood but with smooth black frp finish(just like how the inside of the carbon fiber hood looks)

3. DAVE!!! Is that you!!!! (101PROPOSE)?

a. no, i am not Dave

4. Whats the weight on the straight fiberglass one?

a. i am not sure exactly but it should be about same(20lbs). i will check with my supplier and let you know.

5. Is there going to be a GP on this?

a. yes, i am taking orders now and ending it on 9-30-06?

i am asking $100.00 deposit for a frp hood order and $200.00 deposit for a carbon fiber hood order.

i will add you on the GP order list as soon as you order and the deposit is due by 9-30-06(of course you can pay right away as you order but you dont have to).

please send deposit to my paypal address ----> 101propose@verizon.net

6. 6 months?

a. no, it should be a month or so for me to get the hoods in. i will double check with my supplier to give you more accurate estimated time.

i will try to answer questions and update the current order status at least once a day.

order list

member id --- type of hood ordering --- deposit

thanks,

101PROPOSE@VERIZON.NET

REG. PRICE FOR CARBON FIBER HOOD IS $699.99 + $150.00 S & H WITHIN 48 STATES

HERE ARE THE DISCOUNTED PRICES FOR MEMBERS,

1-9 PEOPLE $599.99 + S & H

10-19 PEOPLE $574.99 + S & H

20-29 PEOPLE $549.99 + S & H

30-39 PEOPLE $524.99 + S & H

40+ PEOPLE $499.99 + S & H

BLACK FRP(FIBERGLASS REINFORECED PLASTIC) HOOD IS ALSO AVAILABLE

REG. PRICE FOR FRP HOOD IS $499.99 + $150.00 S & H WITHIN 48 STATES

HERE ARE THE DISCOUNTED PRICES FOR MEMBERS,

1-9 PEOPLE $399.99 + S & H

10-19 PEOPLE $374.99 + S & H

20-29 PEOPLE $349.99 + S & H

30-39 PEOPLE $329.99 + S & H

40+ PEOPLE $299.99 + S & H

i am taking orders now and ending it on 9-30-06?

i am asking $100.00 deposit for a frp hood order and $200.00 deposit for a carbon fiber hood order.

i will add you on the GP order list as soon as you order and the deposit is due by 9-30-06(of course you can pay right away as you order but you dont have to).

order list

member id --- type of hood ordering --- deposit

1. Starionheaven - CF hood - $200 -> Not paid

2. Sully - FRP Hood - $100 -> I'm going to wait til this gets bigger.