Carnage

:oops:

This is the last thing I expected to blow up.

I swapped the rear diff and took it out for a test drive. I hit about 1.3 bar in 2nd and heard a pop and felt a stutter. I thought the engine detonated. I pulled into the garage with a rough idle and and AFR was 17:1. I poked around with a mirror and this is what I found.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTIwMzQ3NzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddim...GZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTIwMzQ3ODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddim...GZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

No nitrous just a 2nd gear pull through the neighbor hood. Maybe a backfire through the intake? :? Its cracked about 2/3 of the way around. It really doesn't look fresh either. I may have been cracked or stressed earlier and the other day was the straw that broke the camels back?

That sux Kris , but at least it happened close to home. Did you try to cover it up with tape or something and start it to make sure that was the only problem? Hope thats it, and there is no other damage. you have alot of hours in your beast and dont need any other BS..

Steven

Fast and Furious 4 ! ;)

HAHAHA!! DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!! Did your floor pan fall out? HAHAHAHA!

DAMN Kris! You better get me some details and a dynosheet soon.

That pic reminds of that Dyno Flash EVO after he upgraded to a GT40R He started blowing manifolds left and right. In the end He laid out 720whp!!

I just cant wait to get mine started! Just waiting on a fuel pump and my ENG MANAGEMENT. Where oh where is my ENG MANAGEMENT?

phil

yikes. at first i was looking at it and couldn't tell what that was.

that material looks awfully thin. there is a lot of pressure on the intake walls when the boost is turned up.

what are you goign to do?

With a 5" OD plenum (EIP) you have an end plate with 19.63 sq/in, at 18 PSI, you have 353.24 total pounds of force on the 15.7" of weld, or 22.56 # per " of weld .

With a 4" OD plenum you have and endplate with 12.56 sq/in, at 18 PSI you have 226.19 pounds of force on 12.5" of weld, or 18.0 # per " of weld.

I'm pretty sure (from experiance) that even just 1 " of weld, even on 16 gage 6061 should hold a good 200 pounds or so. Thus I'm leaning toward stress fracture (vibration or heat cycles), not spontanious rupture.

It may also be the wrong filler was used, from another site :

When considering service at temperatures above 150 Deg F, we must consider the use of filler alloys which can operate at these temperatures without any undesirable effects to the welded joint. Filler alloys 5356, 5183, 5654 and 5556 all contain in excess of 3 % Mg, typically around 5%. Therefore, they are not suitable for temperature service.

I use 4043, the same 4XXX series of aluminum used to make forged pistons. the other major type commonly available is the 5356. If they used that, then it would eventualy fatigue and fail, our intakes routenly pass 150*. the thing is, 5356 is generaly advertized as stronger than 4043, but it's not *always stronger in the presence of heat.

I'm sure your welder knows, this, but you'll need to take great care to gouge out the old weld material and get the oils out of any scress crackes that remain un-ruptured. If it were me, I'd just cut the end plate off and start wtih a new one. Welded aluminum can be pourous and oil gets into those poors, makes for a lower quality repair than the origional weld was (which ruptured).

I guess its just par for the course really. I would rather have something like this happen now before I get to the track then in the heat of the battle or along way from home. I just ground the entire end plate off and will be putting a new one on. I didn't know what the thickness was and we figured it would be easier prep for welding starting with a new piece. That's some good info on the filler Chad, I will forward that to my welder.

I'm also taking this down time to rebuild all my clutch components as well as replacing the rubber line with a braided line. It could have been worse.

• 4 weeks later...
what are the chances of something like that happening to a magna intake?

Slim but possible. Whoever modded the intake for RWD welded a plate on the back of the plenum where the TB used to be. If the weld job was poor, or the plate was thin enough to allow flex then it's remotely possible. However, the hole/plate is much smaller in surface area than Heefner's plenum end plate, so the force is proportionally less.

what are the chances of something like that happening to a magna intake?

Slim but possible. Whoever modded the intake for RWD welded a plate on the back of the plenum where the TB used to be. If the weld job was poor, or the plate was thin enough to allow flex then it's remotely possible. However, the hole/plate is much smaller in surface area than Heefner's plenum end plate, so the force is proportionally less.

hmmm I see