1g harness + ECU + MPI manifold?

I was thinking about a new way to do mpi without a standalone enigne management system and I thought this up. What if you took the wiring harness from a 1g turbo eclipse and the ECU to go along with it. Then got an mpi manifold either magna or other. Install the manifold with compatible injectors for the 1g. Then you compare the new harness with the conquest harness and plug and play using the ecu pinout as a guide to where to connect things. Anyone ever tried this or think it could be possible?

Not gonna happen easily. The DSM uses coilpacks and Crank Angle Sensor to deal with spark and determining TDC for the #1 cylinder. The quest system uses a distributor and a magnetic pickup and doesn't really care when #1 is at TDC. If you could get the DSM CAS to work with a quest head it might be feasable but that would require a lot of fabrication and exacting machine work.

Kane

• 5 months later...
Why can't you just put the CAS where the distributor goes? That's how you have to set the spark. Looks like it's a damn close fit too. Isn't that what all the stand alones use anyway? Why aren't more people pursuing this.

Not gonna happen easily. The DSM uses coilpacks and Crank Angle Sensor to deal with spark and determining TDC for the #1 cylinder. The quest system uses a distributor and a magnetic pickup and doesn't really care when #1 is at TDC. If you could get the DSM CAS to work with a quest head it might be feasable but that would require a lot of fabrication and exacting machine work.

Kane

just a wierd question... if you were to use a FWD cam the sticks out the back of the VC wouldnt it be easier to make a CAS work....If the CAS it only looking for the position of #1 it has to be a white black sensor. Black would be when the paddle on a sensor wheel is blocking the sensor pickup at TDC on #1

i have never seen a CAS off a car but i cant think of another way they would have it work form the factory

monty

the dsm link idea we had years ago but it's too expensive we were going to use a dsm crank sensor in the back of the stock head and use a fwd cam to drive it, the cams come with the stub already and the saw them off and call it a rwd cam so why not use them for that purpose? I hadn't ever tried to fit the sensor into the head but as I remember it's all about the right sizes but if you are wanting to use dsm parts for something like that just use a 1g harness and get a plug in AEM ecu.. AEM makes a plug in ecu for dsms and it's less money than the universal AEM kit but you know it's a royal pita to get a dsm ecu harness out, the whole dash and hvac boxes have to come out and it will take you a whole day just to get one after you finally find one

this idea has been bounced around here for years. I gathered all the components over 3 years ago from a $150 donor dsm for this purpose, but change of plans after some thinking.

Don't forget you need to fit aallll those dsm sensors too!

Add up; EFFORT + safc or maft + datalogger + AGE... vs standalone.

The single most attractive feature of the dsm ecu is the way the knock sensor keeps the 4g63 alive, while providing a decent timing curve for making impressive power. Question is, will you loose that on the 54.

Knock sensors are tuned to bore size from what I understand.

Also would the timing chain and mechanical valvetrain drive you nuts with phantom knock ?

If you "work around" the knock sensor, say goodbye to the wonderful benefit of cheap dsm datalogging.

Some things to consider.... before you go thru 'all that work'.

However, I did post (on BS forum a few months ago) a nissan 2.4L 4cylinder managed by a dsm ecu that made "good" power, so....

Depends on what you're after

this idea has been bounced around here for years. I gathered all the components over 3 years ago from a $150 donor dsm for this purpose, but change of plans after some thinking.

The single most attractive feature of the dsm ecu is the way the knock sensor keeps the 4g63 alive, while providing a decent timing curve for making impressive power. Question is, will you loose that on the 54.

Also would the timing chain and mechanical valvetrain drive you nuts with phantom knock ?

If you "work around" the knock sensor, say goodbye to the wonderful benefit of cheap dsm datalogging.

However, I did post (on BS forum a few months ago) a nissan 2.4L 4cylinder managed by a dsm ecu that made "good" power, so....

Good points.

As far as knock I was getting fantom knock via the SDS so I don't use knock anymore as i just don't know if I can trust it.

As far as Kelly they are going to use that to trigger some other aftermarket ECU, but that was an excellent idea on Kellys part.

That ain't no cheap distributor there he is holding either if he used a new CAS. :shock:

Good points.

As far as knock I was getting fantom knock via the SDS so I don't use knock anymore as i just don't know if I can trust it.

As far as Kelly they are going to use that to trigger some other aftermarket ECU, but that was an excellent idea on Kellys part.

That ain't no cheap distributor there he is holding either if he used a new CAS. :shock:

pick-a-part 1/2 off special