my COLD air intake

RJ

I just picked up and installed that Autozone pipe...it worked out really well.

I still have to isolate the filter from the fan heat.

Thanks for the lead guys..

http://a8.cpimg.com/image/CE/48/51300558-156a-02000180-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/CD/48/51300557-4ca0-02000180-.jpg

ha ha, welcome to the dark side Mike :wink: , i may pick up a new one sometime since i don't have the msd over there anymore i could just use the full pipe

I used the aftermarket 3" intake pipe off of my Dakota. Looks just like yours but I paid $18 on e-bay for it, brand new with the washable filter on it.

For you doubters out there, I have a temp guage hooked up to my intercooler oulet pipe..........on a 65-75* day, the temp is usually around 80* going into the engine with normal driving. When it hits 85+* outside, the intercooler outlet will run about 100-110*...that's a big difference IMO.......so I think the colder it is going in, the colder it will be out of the intercooler.

Turborusty

i would much rather suck hot air out of the engine bay than sucking water. Even if you hit a puddle or you'll suck it up. I did a homemade air box around my intake with plexiglass and it helps. i also bareley modified in front off the marker light to help on the highway. every little thing helps.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA0NTk1NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

No to mention the 83 hood i modified cheaply to dirrect cold air to the intake.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA0NjE5NjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA0NTk1NDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Cheap stuff but very effective on the highway... noticeable.

Dz

i was wondering, i've seen alot of quest's with hard piping on the intake, but how do yall get by the problem of the MAS sensor. do u fabricate a whole new mount for it or just not use it at all?

here is a good link on how I modded my stock air can when I had it...

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/filter-print.html

You don't want those MAS jumping around as it can throw things off.

• 2 weeks later...
RJ all you need to do is go to www.weapon-r.com and get their plastic filter cover made just for that purpose to prevent hydro locked. It costs about $15 and is worth it. I used their setup on my 84 and 85 RX7.

I still like my setup because its different.

Parts are scavaged off of a mid 80's 300Z,

I have the charchole canister removed and

a hole hogged out below the headlight behind

the airdam. I then made a chamber down there

below the airdam to channel air and keep the air

filter and MAS safe from raod debris. If rain ever

does get bad I have a plug for the air dam opening

I keep in the car.

http://OklahomaSpeed.com/pics/engine111.jpg

I'm not an Starquest owner yet but I'm going to chime in with my two cents anyway :D I've had a "warm-air" intake setup in my 3000GT (non-turbo): an open air K&N filter that I eventually put a box around to keep some of the engine heat away. Here in Arizona it gets VERY hot inside the engine compartment and I soon began to doubt the wisdom of that particular setup. Most of the article's I've read concerning custom turbo or supercharger setups (for the 350Z for example), noted that they had better results with a drop-in K&N filter than an open air filter in the engine bay.

Cold-air intakes are a different story though. I currently have a NISMO cold-air filter on my Altima that is quite impressive. It is very similar to the custom setup shown in this thread in that the filter hangs in the lower fender just behind the hole for the fog lamps (I don't have the fogs on mine so air flows directly to the intake). However, all NISMO intakes come with a "bypass valve" that looks strange but is supposed to detect the presence of excess moisture in the intake tube and close the tube if necessary. I can attest to being caught in storms and even driving through water high enough to hit my fender without any ill effects.

I don't know how easy it would be to integrate a bypass valve into a custom setup but I know that AEM cold air intakes offer them as an optional part so you should be able to get one and match up the piping if necessary. I definitely wouldn't have a cold-air intake without the bypass valve because even in Arizona you don't always know when you're going to get caught in a storm or drive through a puddle at night. On the flip side I don't know if I'd spend a lot of money on a warm-air intake setup - I'd probably just buy the drop in filter if it's already a turbo/supercharged car.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am slowly working on a write up for an inexpensive DIY AHP. I'm not finished yet but to summarize all you need is a 4.5 in CLR 90 Degree Bend. I purchased Aluminum 16 guage..lightweight, can polish it for the nice n shiney.... If you have Miter Saw, its real easy, you can mark/cut and have the DIY AHP in minutes...take it to a local shop to get bead rolled if you need it.

Here is where I bought my pipe:

http://www.globaltecheng.com/ProductCart/p...rLineRadius=4.5

http://www.26liter.us/hp2.jpg

• 4 months later...
Im trying to put a cold air on my car, but I notice that most of you guys have no MAS that is visible on the intake going to the turbo. What did you guys do with it? Did you relocate it? if so where?

Have you had your aircan apart?

The MAS is inside the filter, bolted to the aircan lid. The AHP pipe has nothing to do with the MAS directly. People with MPI or other tunable ECU's(like my FIP TB setup) can get rid of the MAS, and use a MAP instead(which gets it's readings from a vacuum port)..

Have you had your aircan apart?

The MAS is inside the filter, bolted to the aircan lid. The AHP pipe has nothing to do with the MAS directly. People with MPI or other tunable ECU's(like my FIP TB setup) can get rid of the MAS, and use a MAP instead(which gets it's readings from a vacuum port)..

Is there a way for those of us who are not running a stand alone system though, is the question.

I was thinking for those without the stand alone (like mine self)

turbo - coupler - pipe - coupler -lid with mas and filter

Seems like it should work fine, if anyone sees any reason why it wouldn't, please let me know.

I was missing the question I think, didn't quite understand the confusion.. :)

When adding an AHP pipe in place of the accordian boot, the only problem is that the stock aircan won't bolt back up. When I did mine, I took the aircan out completely..

I used the lid, MAS, filter and the gold/bronze colored plate that seals the bottom of the filter. I cut the goldish plate four times to create two tabs that I folded down(one on each side), drilled two small holes, and used some threaded rods and butterfly nuts to secure the bottom plate to the lid(after cutting two small holes for the rod, of course).. I put in a 1G MAS at the same time..

You can cut out all of this work, if you just get the whole 1G DSM aircan w/MAS.. Their air filters are closed off on the end, and are held in with clips.. Gary posted a picture of exactly what i'm talking about.. :wink:

I have pics of what I did somewhere..

nice and useful, but I'd be noid since hydro lock is only about 6-8 inches away, and given how these things are in a damn rain storm, best of luck. Oh and Heefner, bad a** man, clean #^% !!!!

On my 3g eclipse my intake is maybe 4" off the ground with no shield, and i have never had a problem.

You would have to drive though standing water, or a lake to hydro lock the motor.

I have add my CAI on for over 4 years, and even drove it 1 winter like that.

I was missing the question I think, didn't quite understand the confusion.. :)

When adding an AHP pipe in place of the accordian boot, the only problem is that the stock aircan won't bolt back up. When I did mine, I took the aircan out completely..

I used the lid, MAS, filter and the gold/bronze colored plate that seals the bottom of the filter. I cut the goldish plate four times to create two tabs that I folded down(one on each side), drilled two small holes, and used some threaded rods and butterfly nuts to secure the bottom plate to the lid(after cutting two small holes for the rod, of course).. I put in a 1G MAS at the same time..

You can cut out all of this work, if you just get the whole 1G DSM aircan w/MAS.. Their air filters are closed off on the end, and are held in with clips.. Gary posted a picture of exactly what i'm talking about.. :wink:

I have pics of what I did somewhere..

Looked over Gary's picture last night. (Damn 4am is too late to be up)

I have a 1st gen mas so it looks like I will definately step up with a ahp. And the accordian boot, well, it's cracking due to the weight and angle it sits at so it'll be a good fix.

OK guys... noob question. :D

I found a 1g mas on ebay, planning on going for it. But in the conversion in the FAQs section, it says "You will also need the connector off the wire loom from the donor 1G turbo DSM."

Where is this found? I asked the seller if this is included and his response was, if it is connected to the rest of the harness it will not be included - but if he can just unplug it, he will include it.

If it's not included, where can I get one/how cheap?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated... the item ends at midnight tonight, so I'm trying to find out asap.

Thanks guys!

Brian