my COLD air intake

RJ

heres a pic of my intake i made out of honda intakes from autozone.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10079/thumb_PICT0563.JPG

the filter sits right behind the opening in the air dam

can't really see it because its such a small pic. i used the same pipe from autozone except i cut about 6" off of it, to make it fit better in the space offered. heres what mine looks like:

http://www.northeastsyty.com/albums/album285/engine_building_067.sized.jpg

i used 2 of them. the first one was kept whole. and the second on i cut about 7 in off of it and connected it to the first on about where the charcol canister would be. the second one then goes through the whole down there and out by the back of the air dam. i have some better pics at home and ill post them later.

go one step further and make a box out of sheetmetal to keep all the hot air from the engine bay from being sucked up into the turbo. I ran a duct from the opening in the spoiler to the box so that the turbo pulls in cooler outside air.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTg3NjY4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

go one step further and make a box out of sheetmetal to keep all the hot air from the engine bay from being sucked up into the turbo. I ran a duct from the opening in the spoiler to the box so that the turbo pulls in cooler outside air.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTg3NjY4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

That is absolutely perfect. Everytime I see that I tell myself I gotta get going on mine.

What's the part number for this air pipe thingamabober??

This is just some constructive criticism. Why would you have a cold air intake on a car with an intercooler? Having the intake down there isn’t going to make the air any colder. When the air goes through the intercooler it’s going to cool the air down. What’s going to happen is the air is going to come up you cold air intake and then get compressed in your turbo. When it gets compressed it’s going to get heated up a little bit anyway. Then it’s going to go into your intercooler and through heat exchange it will cool the air down to the closer to the temperature outside. I don’t get the point of a cold air intake on a car with an intercooler. Maybe I’m getting something wrong here in my train of thought. Can someone try to explain?

Well, the cooler it is going in, the cooler it will be coming out.

ie: if the air going into the turbo is at say 100, and the turbo heats it up to 200, the intercooler has to decrease from 200

if the air going into the turbo is only 50, then the turbo would only heat it up to 150, so the intercoolers job is easier.

and all these numbers are arbitrary, I have no idea how much a turbo heats the air under normal circumstances. might be cool to find out though. (no pun intended) :lol:

Ok check this out.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo7.htm

Compressing air is going to heat up the air anyway. So check this out. Say it’s 70 degrees outside right? The cold air intake is going to suck up 70 degree heat (maybe a little bit lower of you are going fast). That air is going to get heated up through compression a few degrees, let’s say 7 degrees (probably more than that). So now the air temp is 77 degrees, it goes through the intercooler and it’s going to drop it to around the same temperature as it is outside (70 degrees).

Is it really that efficient to have a cold air intake on an intercooled engine? Another thing to think about is why don’t you ever see turbo charged intercooled drag cars with a cold air intake? They just put a filter (if that) right on the turbo. I think because of what I just said up there.

i wont drive the quest unless the weather is nice. only way it will be driven in the rain is if its unexpected. thanks for the oppinions guys. ill have to think of something to make though in case of those unplanned rains.

Air is heated up greatly when compressed. I've been out driving and put my hand on the pipe going to the T/B from I/C and it's realitively 10 degrees hotter than ambient. Now, when I put my hand on the turbo to I/C pipe I can almost burn myself with the heat coming off of it. I would say that the turbo raises the IAT to almost running temps of the engine, maybe 20 degrees cooler. Even at that, like stated before, the cooler the air coming in, the less work the I/C has to do and the cooler the air going into the engine.

Now on a different subject. I would def. be pulling that intake from the hole it is in. Like stated, If you completely submerge that intake in a puddle or what not you are going to have very serious problems. If anything I would pull it and put it right where the charcoal canister use to be. Mind you this is all constructive critcism, so don't take any of it the wrong way. Just don't want to see another car down because he drank too much water...

one thing i have learned with my old syclones is that if an ic is working properly(whethers its an air to air, or air to water), on a nice cool day/night while driving you are able to pull over pop the hood and place your hand right on the intake, and your hand should almost instantly freeze(trust me i tried it one day, and i could barely keep my hand on it becuase the intake was so cold). i have tried it on my car, but being the ic pipe goes directly over teh head, it gets hotter then i'd like it

heres a pic of my intake i made out of honda intakes from autozone.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10079/thumb_PICT0563.JPG

the filter sits right behind the opening in the air dam

have you checked to see if it clears the headlight motor arms?

we did a test on the dyno with a turbo PT cruiser. It made about 5 extra horspower (roughly 2%) using the stock airbox over an open element airfilter. Your right the turbo will heat the air and the IC will cool the air but the cooler the air is to start the cooler it will be after it goes through the IC.

As for drag cars, most track cars don't even use filters but the intake is such that it draws air from out side the engine bay. ie

http://gallery.modified.com/media/images/13-410148/gal/249.jpg

Hate to get stuck in a rain storm in that thing! :shock:

I know, I know, track only car. :lol:

sucking in rain would be the least of your worries. Try getting traction in the rain with 1600 hp :twisted:

I saw one at Autozone the other day and wondered how it would work for a hard pipe. Looks like it's perfect, with only a little modification, if any. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than $150+ for an AHP kit.....

Mike, I don't know if they have a part number, but at Autozone here it's an off-the-shelf item....costs about $40....think I'm gonna go get myself one and try it out as an AHP

Keeping the air filter from sucking air out of the engine will definitely make a noticable power difference. Everyone knows how much faster your car feels on a 60 degree day vs. a 100 degree day. Partially due to the fact that the intercooler is more efficient and partly because the intake temps are lower. The more mods you have the more difference you will notice.

My engine bay temps are very hot, probably near the 200 degree range, not sure, just an educated guess. I would much rather draw 80 degree air into the compressor than the 200 I get in the engine bay.

I recently sealed off my air filter from the engine bay with cardboard(construction paper type) so it draws in air from the area near the gas tank vent(lower passenger front fender) and according my Haltech, the charge temps dropped over 40 degrees. My intake charge temps were running around 125 and now run around 85 on a 80 degree day. Before I sealed it off, I would try to touch the plenum on the magna intake and it would almost burn my hand. Now after a drive, I'll touch the plenum and it's quite cool(about the same as the ambient air temp).

The cardboard doesn't look that great but it sure works well. I am planning on a more permanent solution that is a little more aesthetically desireable, but until then I will definitely keep it shielded.

And by the way, don't entirely depend on your intercooler to do the work. I am running a large spearco that is 2 inches taller, 4 inches wider, and an inch thicker than the stock intercooler and doing this made a dramatic difference. With a stock intercooler, its probably even more important.

Dave

I just picked up and installed that Autozone pipe...it worked out really well.

I still have to isolate the filter from the fan heat.

Thanks for the lead guys..

http://a8.cpimg.com/image/CE/48/51300558-156a-02000180-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/CD/48/51300557-4ca0-02000180-.jpg