supra tranny

rumboogy

Joel, he is referring to the Mazda B2600i pickup trucks, they supposedly have a removable bellhousing and bolt to a Koyo 5 speed, which allows for the Turbo II transmission out of the RX7.  I personally think the trans gearing in an rx7 is silly, but it could just be the flat power band.  I've owned a half dozen rx's in my life.

But.....If I remember correctly the B2600 2.6 Mitsu is the wrong bolt pattern width, although somewhat easy to fix if you are able to machine/weld bosses in the right locations...

Take care

Shawn

Well, I have a Mitsubishi MIghty Max and I am using the 2.6L tranny on the Starion motor, it bolts right up...

the narrow vs wide 2.6 block question, I've been trying to read AU posts about magnas and I've seen that there was a difference in the oil pump and the front timing cover too.  perhaps that is what he meant.  what that has to do with bolt pattern I don't know all they mentioned was you had to have the right pump for the right cover, something about a bump on one side

torque tube is a part of the rear differential and there is no way to get rid of it unless converting to a different rear end.

a rear end conversion consists of buying a rear end, $200-300 for a custom driveshaft and I assume somewhere around $300-$400 for two custom half shafts plus some small fabrication to mount the differential itself. definetly not cheap.

hey, these guys seem to have put together a 4G63 with a RWD tranny. they also may be able to put together something for us.

http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?boar...1773921;start=0

Yea you can use the tranny from a 2.0L mighty max, it bolts up to the 4g63, if you want to keep the hydraulic clutch you can use the gear box from the Starion since the input shafts are the same.

well one thing   you guys with an auto body quest should be able to put any darn tranny in  it  you'd want it's over 12 inches wide and  much  deeper then the 5spd  body tunnel , so saveing a few of these auto  body quests is in order , if you want to go a biger   5 or 6 spd tranny

on the other hand tunnel wideing  isn't  a super  big  deal , :) ask me  how i know

I posted some pics of the supra tranny at its widest part in the 5speed starion tunnel but it's a tight fit. Stuff would have to be trimmed off the tranny case and the tunnel would have to be hydrolicly widened with one of those handpump deals body shops use, "helper" is another term I believe- I tried using the spare jack and it just slipped an slipped. There alot of underbody paste type stuff that could be removed as well but wold be time consuming-

Another plus is that the toyota trannies are pretty short so it wouldn't have to fit all the way down throught the skinnier part of the tunnel-

So does the Toyota input shaft spline match our clutches?  What about the pilot bearing?  Seems to me that if the bellhousing's that close, an adaptor plate would be a piece of cake to produce.  Throw each bellhousing on a CMM , overlay the hole patterns, and you've got your pattern.

the splines in the w58 doesn't match our disc. Not a problem tho.

The w58 is closer to a dsm block than our 2.6.

I have em all spread out on the patio. Some carefull mesurements and its doable.

The corolla tunnel is smaller than a starion and it accepts the w58 without mods.

Wayne, with the sumari rock crawler posted some photos of his adapter on the dsm forums. He use the front of a dsm gearbox and bolted an aluminium plate to it to accept the w58. I plan on sawing off the front of the trannys and welding. I got abudy thats been doing this sorta stuff for years so I can't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
I just called the guy.  It's about 4pm the 25th there.  he said the idea that the w58 is going to hold 700hp is rubbish (his word), and even the top of the line twin turbo supra box is only recommended for 500hp applications.  Just throwing that out there as food for thought.  the w58 and r154 are both supposedly good for 300hp.  By good he may mean completely reliable for a long long time though.  I'm not sure.  I told him my stock gear box is holding up to 325hp and has 140,000 miles on it.  

The kit for our car is $290 AU and includes a "thrust slide bushing" and the actual adapter.  the issues that need to be sorted out are as follows

1. He is used to the customer providing a bell housing and building the adaptor based on that.

2. He thinks the clutch for the supra gearboxes is not hydraulic like ours.  I have no idea

3.  the best thing to do IMO, is to send him the bell housing from the tranny we all want to use.  He said it's a borg warner bell housing over there and he'd have to see if he could find one.  

For a run of 10 or 20 kits, GP style, he'd get his hands on the engine and a starion tranny tunnel or at least measurements and make up a nice kit.  Then of course there's the drive shaft to be sorted out.  He sounds like an easy guy to get along with but asked about a narrow and wide block 2.6 to which I said " I've never heard of any such thing "  so I don't know.  He thinks any of the supra trannies will work though, and that they're all 9 bolt housings with the dowels in the same location, except for the TT tranny which is huge and would almost certainly require tunnel mods.  

Well I am sorry but I work at Sound Performance (big supra shop in midwest) and the mkIII trannies will hold about 600 horse as long as you don't speed shift and not a race clutch and pressure plate, and the 6-speed's can hold over 1200 with speed shifting as seen with titan motorsports. But to say how long with constant abuse is a tossup. If anyone has questions about the transmissions or anything else about supra's let me know. and the clutches are hydrolic.

So will the W58 be more relieable and take more abuse than the stock 89 SQ5spd? Im talking with only around 250hp..

I just got this 88 Auto, so If something comes off this supra tranny thing, I would love to go with the 6spd.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
Someone actually needs to make some power to require replacement of a transmission don't they?

Joel

now now I think there are plenty of people making enough Tq to warrant looking for a stronger Tranny.

Joel my car, well in Bill_TSG's posession right before I bought it, broke U-joints like other's have. It also completely snapped the output shaft about 9" back from the end of it. Pretty much twisted it and snapped, it only streched a little before the metal gave.