magna questions

I just ordered my magna intake and while I am waiting for it to arrive I figured I would gather all the neccessary parts to modify it for our cars. I have been extensively trained on how to TIG weld and have access to a welder I just need to know where to get the different flanges(TB and coolant neck) and what all needs to be welded up(coolant passages). I am planning on using a Mustang TB.

Thanks,

Cory

My coolant neck was custom made by Glenn...he just welded it in.

The flange is the flange from the original magna, just drilled and tapped accordingly for, in my case, a Ford 65mm TB.

You going to need to close up the coolant port to match the head, you'll see.

Then a few other things like relocate your heater core fitting, weld a main water passage shut...there's a few thing you'll notice right away.

If you want to use your stock cooling gauge you will need to tap into somewhere to mount the OEM sensor also.

Make lots of provisions for vac ports. Make at least 4-6 ports if you can. Then you can have nice dedicated vac ports for your BOV,MBC,etc

mind you MIKE means to use a 4.6 TB flange, i don't think a 5.0 will fit, too damn big.

my question is about the fuel pressure regulator?  

is it a 1:1?

and do i have my vacume side hose(the vacum hose to the fpr thats on the valve cover side, to clarify)do i have it before or after the Throttle body?  i mean do i want positive or negative pressure going to my FPR.

and im using Fuelinjectionpro's enj. management.

theres a port in the number 4 runner thats already drilled and tapped, i plan to use that 1 for my BOV.

another tapped in the botton of the large manifold between the runners, that goes nowhere???

you'll see there all wacky.

mind you MIKE means to use a 4.6 TB flange, i don't think a 5.0 will fit, too damn big.

my question is about the fuel pressure regulator?  

is it a 1:1?

and do i have my vacume side hose(the vacum hose to the fpr thats on the valve cover side, to clarify)do i have it before or after the Throttle body?  i mean do i want positive or negative pressure going to my FPR.

and im using Fuelinjectionpro's enj. management.

theres a port in the number 4 runner thats already drilled and tapped, i plan to use that 1 for my BOV.

another tapped in the botton of the large manifold between the runners, that goes nowhere???

you'll see there all wacky.

You can use a mustang 5.0 65mm TB.

That's in essence what I have on there, just an AU version.

Stock Magna regulator is a 1:1 just like the stock TBI regulator. It works just fine.

OK, let me get this straight, wait until I get it then compare the coolant passages on it to that of a stock TBI intake manifold. But no one knows where to get the coolant neck flange? I was looking at the pics of ones that were modded and all of the coolant flanges appear to machined by someone so somebody must know where to get one. And about the TB flange, I can just use the Magna one cut off the other side and drill and tap it to accept the 4.6 TB?

Also, does anyone know the approximate size(cc's) of the stock Magna injectors ?

Cory

How about cutting one off an old NA 2.6 intake (caravan, D50, montero, raider, etc)?

I don't know if the 4.6 TB will fit where the original magna TB was mounted, the modded magna I got from Glen had a machined adapter plate TIGed into place. From what I understand the stock magna TB is really small.

The stock injectors are most likely 300cc or less, I wouldn't even consider using them.

So I'll have to have two plates machined, The coolant neck and the TB?

Where do I get injectors from? I saw some at Midwestturbo. Do those require any kind of spacers or anything?

And about the intercooler, where do I get one of those FUSO ICs from and for how much?

Cory

So I'll have to have two plates machined, The coolant neck and the TB?

Where do I get injectors from? I saw some at Midwestturbo. Do those require any kind of spacers or anything?

And about the intercooler, where do I get one of those FUSO ICs from and for how much?

Cory

I bought Holley injectors from Jegs. ~$82 each

I saw some 75 lb. Delphi injectors on Racetronix website today for 60.00 a piece. These will fit?

Ya those will work if their the standard bosch style. $60 each is a damn deal holy crap!  :o

I believe Joel from Tristarion runs those. I think there is a post about those injectors in this MPI forum if you scan thru here a little.

The stock magna TB is tiny, I wouldn't even mess with that flange.  Cut it off as short as possible and weld a 1/4" plate over the hole.  You can drill and tap all your vacuum fittings into that plate.

The coolant port could be done using two thermostat housings bolted together as in this thread:

http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?boar...;num=1111626471

Also note that the heater passage between runners one and four must be reduced in size to match the one on the head.  I also bandsawed the old thermo housing off as short as possible and welded it up.  Space is pretty tight back there.

You have to add a 5/8" barb to that same water passage for the heater core.

I use the 75 lb Delphi injectors from Racetronix in my Magna and yes it is an incredible deal.  Magna FPR works fine.

That's all I can remember for now.  Good luck!

Ya those will work if their the standard bosch style. $60 each is a damn deal holy crap!  :o

I believe Joel from Tristarion runs those. I think there is a post about those injectors in this MPI forum if you scan thru here a little.

I was going to buy through time, until I bought mine off ebay for $173. They were MSD/Holley, bosch style,  72lbs, and brand new. I received them yesterday.

Shawn

So, The coolant passages between runners one and four need to be reduced in size.

eeaston,

How did you go about reducing them? Did you weld a small piece in there and have the manifold planed or what?

I actually got  a flange today for the coolant neck. Just took one of my old intakes and cut it right off.

I am planning on going with the 75 lb. Delphi injectors.

Now lets start with the engine management. I am planning on using Fuel Injection Pro's computer that is already wired for the Starquest w/ Magna. Any objections?

Cory

I was going to buy through time, until I bought mine off ebay for $173. They were MSD/Holley, bosch style,  72lbs, and brand new. I received them yesterday.

Shawn

wow, I would have snatched those up too!

You better go to church for that one...that's a steal-e-o and a half!  :o

For the coolant passage-

The one in the magna is around 2" high by 1" wide, whereas the one in the quest head is maybe 3/8" high and 3/4" wide.  I did cut a small piece of 1/8" plate to fit tightly inside the magna port then beveled the edges and carefully layed a bead in the groove.  All I had to do was hit it with a file briefly then run it on the belt sander.  Just depends on how careful you are when you weld it.  I started by blocking the hole completely then drilled/filed the new passage out after tracing it from a gasket.

That is what  I figured. Make sure I have everything straight.

Weld a 1/8" plate  in coolant passages then drill and port to fit gasket.

Drill and port a hole to fit new coolant neck(flange w/tube welded to it)

in new location and weld new coolant neck in position.

Cut off Magna coolant neck as short as possible. Block off passage by welding on a

1/8" plate and drill and tap plate to fit 5/8" barb for heater hose.

Cut off Magna heater hose barb and weld another 1/8" plate there too.

For the TB,

Cut off Magna TB flange as short as possible then weld 1/8" plate in its place, drill and tap holes for fittings required for vac lines(how many?).

On the opposite side of the plenum cut the end off and weld the new Ford TB flange on.

Is there anything I left out besides the bracket for the throttle cable?

I think I ended up doing 4 vac ports (FPR, MAP sensor, boost gauge, BOV) and if I need anymore I'll just tee a line.

At the back of runner #4 there is a nice spot to put a 90o fitting to supply vac to the brake booster. You can also remove the PCV fitting from the stock intake and mount that somewhere on the manifold.