150-170 MPH Top Speed + Fuel Efficiency 5th Gear

Oscar_the_Grouch

I would highly recommend Jamie from http://www.housemanautosport.com/ if you people are seriously interested in fabricating a helical cut gear.  This is not a simple process and requires exact machining, indexing and heat treating.  Jamie has proven to me over the years his expertise in this area is unmatchable anywhere else in the world as far as I'm concerned.  He is more than able to fabricate any gear including straightcut dog tooth.

Take care

Shawn

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shawn for the info... I'll contact him right now as a matter of fact I want to get the ball rolling soon before the hype dies out.

Do you know if he has access to a 5 speed StarQuest Tranny ?

Thanks

Oscar

15 minutes later and the e-mail has been sent. I found this HANDY gear ratio calculator on his site and its VERY handy. I personally think (according to the calculator and the values imputed ) that we can do with a 5th gear in the 0.650 range wich will equal to about 166MPH at 5500RPMs.

What combo can you guys come up with as far as 5th Gear ration and Final Drive combo's Available to us from the Mighty Max and Montero ?

http://www.housemanautosport.com/gearcalculator.html

Thanks again Shawn...

Hey Oscar, Has he contacted you... I am getting ready to rebuild my tranny and this would be the most oppurtune time... Get a list going of all the parties interested and fax it to him that way he knows that more than just 15 people are interested....Maybe that will help out with the hesitation of going on or even thinking about this product....

VOLUNTEER NEEDED

Hello all

Well I need a volunteer for the following...

I NEED....

- A pic or some pics, ( GOOD with DETAILS ) of the 5th gear itself and its mating part with something next to them for size relation. ( A tape measure will do)

- Some one that has the 5th GEAR ITSELF and its mating part OFF THE CAR and ready to be shipped out to CANADA to be looked at. I WILL personally PAY for the shipping to CANADA. so all I need is some one with the parts already pulled and ready to be shipped on a minute's notice.

ALL this is on a VOLUNTEER basis ONLY.... Sorry but no compensation or rebate can be offered at this time SORRY.

Please let me know what you have and I'll let you know were to send the pics. NOT to my e-mail addy on file ask for that addy for pic e-mailing.

Thanks

Oscar

• 3 weeks later...
OK,lets just call it a dog box, and make all of the gears straight cut. 1-5.Our trans would last forever.

Yes BUT will you be able to take ALL that whining ALL the time. I HAVE driven a 240Z with a race tranny with straight gears and MAN after 15 minutes on the track I was DONE that thing was LOUD and not to mention you HAVE to be 100% RIGHT on the money in between shifts or you WILL blow it.

But guys no new progress on this yet, I am still waiting on a few more pics and I will keep on top of this.

Thanks for the suport and the continuous interest.

Oscar

I once saw a video from sweden, of this EVO or something, driving down the street, and it had straight cut gears, and for the camera sitting on the pass side seat, the sound was loud, and annoying.  Dont make them straight cut.  Every straight cut gear you make kills a precious lil kitty cat. :-[

UP-DATE

Some pics and info was sent to the manufacturer well PROPOSED Manufacturer for a quote but they need more detailed pics wich I am waiting for as we speak and they ARE comming just had some busy times ahead so its has fallen a bit behind schedule.

But this is STILL goin on and the interest is still here.

I will shortly be spreading the news to the Mighty Max and D50 boards as they also share the same 5 speed tranny as we do so that will mean more guys HOPEFULLY jumoing in on the wagon for this.

So stay tunned and I have all of you on my mailing list to be keeped of ANY GOOD braking news.

Thanks again for your continuos support and it looks like Hellical gear will be the gear of choice BUT IT WILL BE almost twice as much as the Straight Cut.

But we'll see what the shop says FIRST and we'll take it from there.

Oscar

OK I received the pics that I was missing and sent them to the manufacturere.

Shawn ( Shift Boots and Strut bar guy ) was the one that was able to get the immages to me the fastest and he posted them at the LINK bellow so it will be easier for the shop to view at any time. He also made the gears available to be shipped to the manufacturer if the need arrises.

THANKS SHAWN...

http://www.usachoice.net/bfrederick/tranny/tranny.htm

Oscar

What year is that gear and do you still need on the gear I mean I have a 87 tranny I can take apart if you need the gear still BUT.... the 88-89 are not the same gear.

Luke, that's out of a spare 86 tranny I had. I didn't realize the gears were diferent  with the 88-89 trannys. The picture on the link Oscar posted at the top with the arrows is from the 88 manual. It appears to be the same as my tranmission. Then again ,pitures don't tell the whole story. I would think if the input shaft has the  spline then the gears would be swappable. This isn't proven so I can't back that up. The up side is there are more 83-87 style trannys out there.

I do know that the 84 trannys had a low 1rst gear according to my 84 manual. Also the kid I got the spare tranny from replaced it with an 84 tranny and he said it did feel a little more torqueish.

Thanks for the info Luke, I hope this can be worked out so it works for all years.

Shawn

Well guys if someone can CONFIRM the 5th gear compatability for pre-86 and post 86 gears.

I think all of the tall geras are the same BUT again I am not sure of this either I will do some research on this.

Also Shawn I may have you ship those parts to the shop as they asked me if I could so I will forward the e-mail they sent me so you can see what I am talking about and follow along so I dont miss any information in the cutting and posting.

I will e-mail you shortly with it as I am trying to enjoy Miami as much as I can. I will send you tjhose in a few days as I think the shop is not open for a few days due to the holidays.

THANKS for your help on this.

Oscar

Well guys if someone can CONFIRM the 5th gear compatability for pre-86 and post 86 gears.

I think all of the tall geras are the same BUT again I am not sure of this either I will do some research on this.

Also Shawn I may have you ship those parts to the shop as they asked me if I could so I will forward the e-mail they sent me so you can see what I am talking about and follow along so I dont miss any information in the cutting and posting.

I will e-mail you shortly with it as I am trying to enjoy Miami as much as I can. I will send you tjhose in a few days as I think the shop is not open for a few days due to the holidays.

THANKS for your help on this.

Oscar

I recently found out the input shaftbearings were not the same on the 88-89 style tranny as the pre-87. So who else knows what's different.

I'll go to the Chrylser garagre if i get a chance and have the run the part numbers for the gear for 88-89 and 83-87. This will tell us alot.

Foward the email, I'll gladly send it out for you. That's good they are closed for the holidays! I'm so busy will projects that I haven't started Christmas shopping yet. :(

So after the holidays is perfect!

Enjoy Miami, I know I would!

Shawn

Well, if the Throwout Bearing is different, why hasn't my transmission exploded yet?  LOL!  Back in April, I had to replace my clutch on my 87, and when I replaced the throw out bearing, I used an 88-89 bearing, mailed to me by Lloyd.  I wasn't aware that the bearings were different, until just now.  I did upgrade, to an 88 Flywheel, clutch disk, and pressureplate.  Is putting an 88 Throwout bearing in my 87 GOING TO cause any problems? I mean, it hasn't yet, with over 11k miles so far.....but is that bad?  lol

CoKe

Well, if the Throwout Bearing is different, why hasn't my transmission exploded yet?  LOL!  Back in April, I had to replace my clutch on my 87, and when I replaced the throw out bearing, I used an 88-89 bearing, mailed to me by Lloyd.  I wasn't aware that the bearings were different, until just now.  I did upgrade, to an 88 Flywheel, clutch disk, and pressureplate.  Is putting an 88 Throwout bearing in my 87 GOING TO cause any problems? I mean, it hasn't yet, with over 11k miles so far.....but is that bad?  lol

CoKe

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to miss inform anyone. I mean input shaft bearing!

Coke, you'll have no problems there with your throw out bearing.

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Helical Cut Only!

There is no way in the world anyone would be able to own a daily driver with a constant siren whining off in your ears; while using the running gear.  Even if you could block it out, the people riding with you will never go with you again!

Also, the ratio should be calculated in RPMs and NOT mph!  

I had a ZX-11 Ninja that was sleepwalking at 110 mph.  I got rid of it because we don't live in Germany.  Here in the states, if you pull that circus stunt driving over 100 mph, you go straight to JAIL and do not collect $200.  When they designed the drivetrain for these cars, it was the mid 1980's.  Anything over 60 mph would give you a ticket.  Now, (sign of the times) our interstate is up to 70 mph and I drive it around 80 mph; in a car that was built for the 55 mph zone.

I would rather have a snappy city car that also gives me 30 MPG on the interstate.  

It really shouldn't matter to anyone if their Conquest can go 170 mph; unless you are a sponsored circut racer.  If that was the case, you wouldn't need this GP to find the gears for your car anyway.

I just want to know if I can lose about 800 RPMs at 70 mph, and if this GP is a go or not?

Any updates?

Jack  ::)

Helical Cut Only!

There is no way in the world anyone would be able to own a daily driver with a constant siren wining off in your ears while using the running gear.  Even if you could block it out, the people riding with you will never go with you again!

Also, the ratio should be calculated in RPMs and NOT mph!  

I had a ZX-11 Ninja that was sleepwalking at 110 mph.  I got rid of it because we don't live in Germany.  Here in the states, if you pull that circus stunt driving over 100 mph, you go straight to JAIL and do not collect $200.  When they designed the drivetrain for these cars, it was the mid 1980's.  Anything over 60 mph would give you a ticket.  Now, (sign of the times) our interstate is up to 70 mph and I drive around it around 80 mph; in a car that was built for around 55 mph.

I would rather have a snappy city car that also gives me 30 MPG on the interstate.  

It really shouldn't matter to anyone if their Conquest can go 170 mph; unless you are a sponsored circut racer.  If that was the case, you wouldn't need this GP to find the gears for your car anyway.

I just want to know if I can lose about 800 RPMs at 70 mph, and if this GP is a go or not?

Any update?

Jack  ::)

I totally agree with that post.  100%, he's right.

Hey Mr.biggerstaff....

Yes the GP is still in the process of getting an accurate QUOTE on the gear or gear SET needed for the modification.

I posted the TOP END SPEED as well as the higher fuel efficiency as it will serve as BOTH. If you gain 500 to 800 RPM's you will be able to CRUISE at a lower RPM giving you better milage and at the same time by increasing your usable engine RPM you';; achive a higher top speed as well.

So its BOTH.

Keep tuned as the sample gears will be shipped to the manufacturer within a few weeks as time allows.

Thanks for the interest

Oscar

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any new news? I just want to know when or if this will ever take off and become a product. I am still very interested I'm just wondering when.

P.S. Do you guys still need pictures of the gears and what not, I have a spare 87 trany in my shed and i'm willing to help to get this going.

Kurt