Adapter Bellhousings for the 54B NOW have T56 #'s!

89onaquest

What trans will you like to run. YOU. Keep in mind, I would have to be able to get ahold of it to make a pattern for the foundry.

What the deal is, is this.

I just got off the phone with a not so local foundry and asked a few questions.

If I can take them a mold to cast off of (they suggested wood) they will charge $400 for 1, and "heavy" deals for multiples.

He asked for numbers, and I told him I would have to find out first.

So this is for YOU to decide. I have the means, and the skill to produce the mold, what do you want to use as the trans? GM T5?(more popular and availible everywhere) Ford T5? (I have seen a few, but not as many as the GM ones)

So the poll is on. Do not ask about pricing, I do not know. I have to have a "Iron clad-No regrets-you back out I'm goona shoot your eye out" kinda number before I get prices.

I told the guy that I could have the mold to him by Friday, I made no commitments to anything or anyone. I am going to get this for my car if nothing else.

If interested, put name and trans.

Also I will be adding side note as this progresses--- this is the first...

I have seen the V6 GM T5 handle 336/38X with ease. www.thirdgen.org has a Turbo 2.8 that is using it, and there is a 4th gen 3.4 that has dyno'd in excess of 300 Hp, 350 Trq that is using it.

#2 This will not be moved to the GP board untill serious interest in shown. This is for here only for right now.

#3 I can also provide Blank trans ends that you could have drilled by a machine shop

Names of "IN"

manual T-56

Chad

Barbercb

Artinist

Silvrstar

Grey_wulf

Shelby-

Mr Dodge-Ford

Backslider

Turbo26tsi

Automatic L60E

Tim_C

Booted One

ZPI28

11 so far... 225 ish... lets get more people.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with a late model Ford T5.  They are called World Class T5's and will hold quite a bit of power.  Also, you could get a bellhousing made for a T56.  You could use either GM or Ford bolt pattern.  The cool thing about the Ford T5's (although I'd bet you could do the same for a GM T5) is there's a place called G-Force transmissions who offers a super heavy duty rebuild kit using 4340 gears and you can get either a straight cut dogleg engagement kit or a helical cut synchronized kit.  The straight cut will allow you to up & downshift without using the clutch, you just gotta match RPM's.  The synchronized kit will work as stock but holds upwards of 800 HP.  I'd opt for the Ford parts, but that's cuz I work at a Ford shop.  LOL  I'd bet people would be down for a T56 conversion.  Check in on that.

Laters,

Brian

Go with a late model Ford T5.  They are called World Class T5's and will hold quite a bit of power.  Also, you could get a bellhousing made for a T56.  You could use either GM or Ford bolt pattern.  The cool thing about the Ford T5's (although I'd bet you could do the same for a GM T5) is there's a place called G-Force transmissions who offers a super heavy duty rebuild kit using 4340 gears and you can get either a straight cut dogleg engagement kit or a helical cut synchronized kit.  The straight cut will allow you to up & downshift without using the clutch, you just gotta match RPM's.  The synchronized kit will work as stock but holds upwards of 800 HP.  I'd opt for the Ford parts, but that's cuz I work at a Ford shop.  LOL  I'd bet people would be down for a T56 conversion.  Check in on that.

Laters,

Brian

Actually... that gave me an idea....

Can you get me bolt patterns of the trans you have access too?

I am thinking this...

I can have the bellhousing made... the trans mounting can be drilled for multiple trans, IF I HAVE THE PATTERN FOR THEM. This will also HEAVILY depend on the ACCURACY of the pattern that I am provided with. And no holes withing 1/4" or so of each other.

OR, I can just provide a blank that will bolt to the engine, and people can do whatever with them...

Post you idea's on that as well.

I'd be interested in a ford pattern tranny, although I dont have the money to buy anything right now..... It would be great to be able to get a TREMEC 3550 or even a TKO to go in these cars- it's what they deserve anyway.

this T5 ford ,  is this the  famous   soft  cyncro  fords  we'l all  grown to  love and hate

if so these things are  going for a $1000.00 use'd  arround here  and all the olders  ones have sycro  problems

Sounds like the perfect replacement for our cars then Shelby! I'd like to see  a T5 and T56 bolt pattern providing they will both bolt right in. Your gunna pay 1200 or more for a rebuild on our with gear hardening. Hopefully what you are making here will be around 2-300 bucks? Then you gotta find the tranny right?

Brian, what mustangs have which tranny? Any better than others?

Tim  has a point  to concider,,  most of  you  will find there is no  bulit proof  5 spd's out there, and in the end , the auto trany will win out , this has  been  prove'd many many times and will continue to be  the  truth for the drag strip, but  for  street playing  and fun  your always gona have  5 spd cars arround  atleast untill all these rear wheel drive cars are gone

but  for the serious  drag racer's  the auto is the only way to  go

"If I can take them a mold to cast off of (they suggested wood) they will charge $400 for 1, and "heavy" deals for multiples."

Ummmm, the casting does not include all the holes in precise locations.  Just so you are aware.  You will have to have both faces milled to the proper heights and flat, and then you will have to drill all your own holes, which have to be very accurate to centerline, otherwise welcome to a world of problems.

Not to ruin your thread, but just to inform you of what you will recieve from them in a returned casting from a pattern.....

Take care

Shawn

Shawn, thanks for the info, but nothing I already did not know. The place is offering milling to get true and flat, and has offered to drill the holes. So in a sense, I would be getting close to bolt on ready housings.

Your comments are welcome, but only to a point.

Tim_C, can you get the L60's  without the bellhousing? I do not know thats why I am asking. If so, then hell that's what I am gonna do.

Hopefully what you are making here will be around 2-300 bucks? Then you gotta find the tranny right?

quote]

What I am tring to get is a feel of what is popular/availible and CHEAP in your area(as well as other areas) that you would be willing to use. I want this to be a very viable option for EVERYONE, not just a few.

I would like to get enough people involved that these will be VERY affordible. I will call the guy back right now and give and get some soft numbers. I spent all day at a junk yard looking for parts and I just got back so...

Oh my god...

Just oh my god...

prepare to hit the floor...

Seriously... put down a group of pillows...

a mattress something...

I just got prices...

ready? 10 will be around 225 ish EACH

Ok, you back up yet?

waiting...

ok ready for more?

15+ 175 EACH...

20+ he said well... just imagine.

He said as long as I can provide an accurate mold, a run will cost around 3500.

So this can become a VERY PERMINATE THING.

get word out, must get word out... imagine if we hit 30-40 people on this? we're talking like 100 bucks OR LESS for an adapter...

Yes, I will have him make extra 5-6 depending on the final cost tally for those that need to wait a little bit.

I think it would be a very good idea to ofer blanks.  One problem...

You are going to have to take into consideration the length of the input shaft, the diameter of the input shaft, etc.  Also remember you'd have to change out clutches and all that.  I know SPEC can make custom clutches with whatever spline count you want, so that wouldn't really be a problem.  Just keep the dimentional problems in mind.  

As for the 5 speeds in Mustangs....

83-85 = Borg Warner T5

85-95 = Borg Warner "World Class" T5  It was actually only called the "World Class" from 89-95.

96-04 = T5 For The 6 Cylinder Mustangs

96-01 = Borg Warner/Tremec T45

01-04 = Borg Warner/Tremec T45 For The GT's

01 Cobra = Tremec 3650

2000 Cobra R & 03-04 Cobra = Tremec T56

Laters,

Brian

PS.

I may be a little off on some of the later tranny's & years.

I know about different input shaft lengths, that is a concern with me about offering the "blanks".

The person would have to know EXACTLY how wide a spacer they would need.

As far as the blanks go, what I was going to do is have a generic flat spot for the trans mount, and it would have a 1/8" pilot hole that would locate dead center in referance to the flywheel.

If a person wants a blank, STILL POST, and you know exactly what you are getting, so clutch and such is all on you to find things that will work. Afterall, they all start off as blanks... ;D

89ONAQUEST....

this is a great development BUT please please PLEASE dont do this if its only going to work on a xmission that can hold 350hp/tq cuz that is a waste of time and money. build this for a xmission that will hold 500hp/tq. i know that sounds crazy but there are a few MPI guys out there getting very close to that so if you make one mold to work for everyone then its a global solution.

also, lets not get too excited yet until we hear some talk about what will fit in our xmission tunnels and will it line up with the shifter and what about the drive shaft blah blah blah. i know those are smaller issues but still issues nontheless.

so does anyone else think doing this for a tranny that hold 350hp/tq is a waste of time?

350 TQ yes waste of time. I'll rip that to shreds inside of 6months.

Shelby, I think you are right, the Auto is the way to go for all out drag racing. I think people are afraid of the auto's and  working on them in general etc. I know I am. I think we really need a trany that is capeable of laughing at 350TQ and being right at home with 450 or so.

Ok, I will put this forth...

What I am seeing is this...

1/3 for auto's

1/3 for T56

1/3 for 'stang trans.

sad but it looks like this? am I wrong?

Anyway... I am sure that conquest351 can provide templates to the mustang guys right?

So the T56 guys need to find a template? right? I can ask around some and will post what I find.

I need info from all interested. I need mounting plate diameters/measurements.

Pm it to me or send it to davepatton42@yahoo.com and I can see if I can post it.

What I would like to see is hosted pics.

If someone can take a picture of the plates with measurements that would be of a great help.

I will scour the yards again tomarrow, and see if I can borrow a camara.

Again, depending on the number people involved, we can get these for around 120-150 EACH!

If you are members of other boards that are looking for adapter housing, POINT THEM TO THIS THREAD. The more the merrier.(and cheaper)

89ONAQUEST....

this is a great development BUT please please PLEASE dont do this if its only going to work on a xmission that can hold 350hp/tq cuz that is a waste of time and money. build this for a xmission that will hold 500hp/tq. i know that sounds crazy but there are a few MPI guys out there getting very close to that so if you make one mold to work for everyone then its a global solution.

also, lets not get too excited yet until we hear some talk about what will fit in our xmission tunnels and will it line up with the shifter and what about the drive shaft blah blah blah. i know those are smaller issues but still issues nontheless.

so does anyone else think doing this for a tranny that hold 350hp/tq is a waste of time?

I cannot agree more with everything you just said.

Hense why the very first line I put was "What trans do YOU want to use"

And the way I will be making the mold, it will lend it self to just about anything you could want to bolt to it. You just have to do the figuring where to put the holes(Talking about a "blank" casting here).

I will make everything BUT the trans bolt to plate. I will need a size that will be a "Cover All" to make that plate. I want it big enough so that these things can be drilled and or modified to fit just about anything that a person would want to try.

Right now I am looking at around a 7"W by 5"T plate.

Speak now it you think the plate needs to be bigger, or if you know that the trans YOU would like to use needs a bigger plate.

I am really glad that 351 said what he did, cause that gave me the "blank casting" idea... and those that come after will be glad about that as well.