Quick, Elantra or Accord

Malykaii

So have been looking for a wagon for parents for a while now.

2000 Elantra. Good interior with exterior paint completely peeled off. Banged up and ugly. $1200

1996 Accord. Garage kept, zero rust. Showroom perfect. $3700

Both under 70k miles, perfect service records, blah blah.

Help?

Accord is priced way too high. Look for another Elantra in better shape. 2000 up Hyundais are way better cars than people give them credit for.

My mom has a 2002 Elantra GT. I have done nothing to it other brakes, timing belt 1 time and fluids. Reliable as hell, nearly 200k miles.

I picked up a customer with an Elantra, 286 thousand miles! Orginal alternator finaly quit on him. Other than that, he told me same thing, hes only changed fluids and brakes.

I used to own a Honda wrecking yard. But I would take the Hyundai instead of that year model Accord. The trannies on those were not the greatest, I used to sell quite alot of them. The 98 to 2002 Honda trannies were even worse.

Edited by louswheel

In regards to the Honda I have three issues.. Rust, tranny, and difficult timing belt jobs. Rust, I'll find a way to prevent it. Trannys are available jdm with low miles for $400. I'll deal. Belt, fine.

My parents insist on image. Otherwise I'd go elantra. Plus finding a nice one is imposible, defective paint, so all elantra are ugly.

What's a decent paint job cost?

Edited by Malykaii

I'm glad someone thinks $3800 is too much. It seams like it.

Way too much. Maybe $1800 is ok. But really, more like $1500.

You dont have to do Elantra. There many other reliable brands that have less hype than Honda and Toyota.

You can look for a softer brand like Scion. Its made by Toyota, just as reliable but has less hype than Toyota so you will find them for less.

To me, Hondas are over priced not because they are better cars than other brands but because people have hyped them up way too much. And I am always cautious when buying a Honda because people don't sell them until the wheels are falling off.

Years ago my mom bought a new 82 Civic. She had a friend that was always in competition, so she went out and bought some new Ford something or other. Several years later the friend bought another new car. Several years later again she bought another new one. She made a crack to my mom at one point about buying three new cars while my mom had only had one. My mom replied with "I know how to pick a better car".

Mom kept that Civic until the body started rotting away, then gave it to me. I sunk about 2 gallons of bondo into it, primed and painted it, then drove it 2 more years....until I went to change the timing belt and was too cheap to buy the book to tell where to set the marks. Bent every exhaust valve in it. I ended up scrapping it bc my girl at the time thought it was too small to worry about fixing. That car had run like a top for 15 years, and got about 38 MPG.

So parents decided Honda. This morning we were to make the 2 hour drive and buy it. Last sexond they decided $4k for a car of age to buy beer isn't worth it.

So $1k later we now have a third Hyundai Elantra in the family.

Thanks for all the sound advice, even though we bailed on it lolz.

Hyundais are reliable and go forever. Wifey had a 97 base model Accent that I did nothing to for over 10 years until the b-pipe rotted, replaced that and was good to go for a few more years. Eventually I sold it to my brother for $300 and he's still driving it. They aren't always good looking but make excellent commuters. Edited by Fuze

Hyundais are reliable and go forever. Wifey had a 97 base model Accent that I did nothing to for over 10 years until the b-pipe rotted, replaced that and was good to go for a few more years. Eventually I sold it to my brother for $300 and he's still driving it. They aren't always good looking but make excellent commuters.

This. And because they don't have a huge hype behind them they are chepaer priced than a comparable Honda or Toyota.

The new Hyundais look great. I like the line up from 2010 to now, specially the Turbo charged Sonata. Its a damn beast that no one knows about.

Hyundais are reliable and go forever.

they don't have a huge hype behind them they are chepaer priced.

All good points. However, I still had some buyers remorse thinking I let my parents buy a dopey car. Well, now that I'm driving it... Its pretty decent at $1000. Even with all the needed work like timing belt, tube up, fluids, and cosmetics (hood+headlights) we won't hit half the price of hat Honda... And that also needed a t-belt.