Registration surprise..

vbrad511

My poor Quest has been sitting since last fall, shortly before the plates expired. Over the winter I changed the weak alternator, and thin brake pads, and yesterday went to grab plates. (yes, this is going a different direction for a few). I've got these "specialty" plates here that are tagged and decorated for an environmental purpose. There's an extra fee that goes to wildlife and conservation projects. The gal tells me, even after the car being off the road for so long, that I'd have to renew my current plates, for full price, AND pay a late fee. Brought me to $148. No way. I asked about regular plates, she says $101, plus a $29 transfer fee. I tell her work's been slow, gonna have to let the car sit a bit longer, when she pauses and says it qualifies for "Extended Antique Plates". I can drive it any time anywhere from April through the end of October, and then only to shows and events after that....for $51. SOLD. So if for whatever reason you want to little less expensive plate you might consider this next time you renew. I'm sure every state is different, but it might be worth looking into.

Man here in canada, its 323$ for my plates 75$ of it for public transportation tax which i never even use!!. And i have 3 cars... 1000$ for the year plus insurance! Unfortunatley here, antique plates can only be used if the car does not go on the highway:(. If you own a car with a motor bigger than 4 litres, you have to pay a gas guzzler tax.. We get screwed hard up here.

Sounds like you live in an awesome state!

And quebec is the most corrupt province! We pay 16% tax on everything and 40% per paycheck!! Lolll

"Sounds like you live in an awesome state! "

Illinois. We were just declared the third most corrupt state in the country...lol.

I paid for 2 year registration and transfered title in my name from a different state.. here in fl for 275 ish

Don't have to worry about the tag renewal until the very end of 2016.

Get me a job as a welder in the states so i could immigrate! You guys are so lucky. I never thought id grow up to hate where i live:( mind you im the only dude with a starquest here. Kinda sucks...

It's about $70 here in California for my renewal. But if you that ish expire, boy get ready for price hike. I let mine expire last year, cost me nearly $250 plus smog!

Mine's an 88. This isn't a standard antique plate. She called it an "Extended antique plate". She said if I needed to drive it past October 31st I could always buy regular plates for it, so I'm assuming I can just pay for them when the time comes if I need it.

I live in illinois. I have that expanded antique plate on my car. April through October you can drive it anywhere. The months before and after those your supposed to only drive it to and from shows or mechanic. They've only offered this a couple years now. Pretty sweet deal. I ended up getting a vanity plate and my sticker renewal is only like $64 now compared to standard $100. Only thing is illinois screwed me with that. I had to first buy expanded antique plates (waited a while for that) just to spend another $100 or so to buy the vanity expanded antique plate (wait another couple months for that one). Couldn't do it all at once. Paid twice to get my vanity plate (total $150-$160), and waited several months to get it but it's all good now I'm happy

Arkansas antique plates are about $25 and last for life. Car must be 25yrs or older to quailify. Then its just personal taxes every year which is also dirt cheap on these old cars.