SInce I have no SQ, Here is what I've been doing--Converting Mustangs

helrazr70

I threw together some pics from my '68 Mustang Coupe to Fastback conversion I did last year. Don't laugh, it's my first video. lol! I did this car and sold it and then I started another one. I am in the middle of this one and hope to have it ready to sell around June. Then maybe another SQ?

I have had a few SQs over the past few years but I have just been fixing them a little and flipping them. I will continue to do so until I find the right one that I want to keep.

In this video I didn't have a whole lot of specific build pics relating to the actual roof conversion but you get the general idea of how it was done and how to do it yourself if you decided to go that route. There are pics from most every part of the build in there.

I didn't get to finish the car because I posted a "feeler" ad on craigslist (and here) before it was ready to sell and the response was overwhelming. It sold quickly and I scrambled to get the doors, hood, and fenders hung for transport. The final pics at the end with it on the trailer look good but would have been better had I had time to align all the gaps and fully assemble the foglight grille and attach the GT emblems.

Is the hate for the coupes and the love of the fastback so great that it's profitable to undergo all of that work?

Very nice work! and yes fastbacks are very popular. My friend at work just did this very operation to a 67 or 68. I'd post up a pic but they are on my old phone

Chris did you ever figure a resolution to the title issue you had with that last SQ you had? Nice to see you post every once in a while. :)

It wasn't an issue. It was 49 state legal as I stated. It just couldn't be registered in PA unless the last person on the title went to a notary and resigned it--which was impossible because she moved to CO over 10yrs ago before she mailed the title to the guy I bought it from and I had no contact info for her.

I sold it to a guy in TX. He has already done a LS1 swap on it and is driving it now. It's all good as I predicted.

Is the hate for the coupes and the love of the fastback so great that it's profitable to undergo all of that work?

Fastbacks sell for double to triple what coupes do.

You can buy a very nice running and driving 65-68 Mustang coupe for the same price you would pay for a rusty, incomplete fastback

Look at the difference for the same money:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-fastback-1967-ford-mustang-base-fastback-2-door-4-7-l-/331473588943?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d2d5d92cf&item=331473588943&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Coupe-/301571941122?forcerrptr=true&hash=item463716a302&item=301571941122

Very nice work! and yes fastbacks are very popular. My friend at work just did this very operation to a 67 or 68. I'd post up a pic but they are on my old phone

Thanks! There are several people doing the swaps. There are many ways to do it. I am on my 3rd one now.

Are you using new chinese stampings? If so how well do they fit the oem ford panels?

I use both OEM and reproduction sheetmetal. The car in the video above had Ford doors, Ford fenders, reproduction deck lid, reproduction roof skin, reproduction hood, reproduction front and rear valences, reproduction coupe 1/4 skins trimmed to fit a fastback, reproduction taillight panel, reproductionLH outer wheel house, reproduction LH trunk floor, reproduction LH long front floor pan, and a few other repro parts.

My current project is mostly all Ford panels except the rear 1/4s, roof skin, and floor pans.

With classic Mustangs it varies by the part. lwer priced repro doors and fenders tend to match the OEM panels better than the higher end Dynacorn panels. As general rule you match up Dynacorn to Dynacorn and OEM to lower end like Golden Legion, etc. For example, Dynacorn doors match Dynaorn fenders. Cheap fenders match the door contour better than Dynacorn.

All aftermarket sheetmetal needs some tweaking, trimming, and shaping. There are a few panels that are ok right out of the box but it's rare.

A good example of work needed on a new part is the rear valence in the video--I had to do a lot of work to get the ends to fit the rear 1/4s properly and get good gaps.