Could I trust a Starion as my daily driver?

Hi,

I'm interested in picking up a Starion as my only car/daily driver (and perhaps one from another member on this board) but the more I think about it, the more I think about how I probably shouldn't be trusting a 30 year old car as my daily driver. What do you guys think? My budget is $6,000, so I wouldn't be buying a beater.

Currently talking to another member here about his 88' Starion, 105k miles, no rust, clean, no engine modifications, only some coil overs. Looks very clean but haven't had a chance to see it in person yet. Would I be foolish to potentially buy this Starion and use it as my only car and daily driver? It has had injectors replaced but otherwise no major engine work (besides new clutch).

Thanks guys.

I use mine as a dd, it's MPI and has had extensive mods. It's all in how much maintenance you can put into it and what hacks may have been done in the past. It is a 30 year old car and most have had a hard life regardless of what the PO tells you (no ill intention directed to whomever you are speaking with about the 88).

When mine was TBI it was my DD. When the MPI gets finished it will be my DD again. Doesn't matter how old the car is. What matters is how it's maintained. Maintenance doesn't mean only fix what breaks. Preventative maintenance is the key. Fluid changes, grease, cleaning electrical contacts and grounds ect. Some of that stuff doesn't have to be done often like cleaning grounds. Maybe once every 5-10 years but it's important that it be done. Keeping on top of stuff like that can make a 50 year old car just as reliable as a new car.

The 2 above posts are exactly right.

Good read for you.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449

If I were you I would pull the battery out and clean and die electric grease all terminal ends and connections in, near, and around the battery area.

Clean them all. Then clean any and every other connector you can on the car.

Makes a difference. Resistance causes heat and can melt connectors

Just remember that it will take time to get parts if it does break. Mine was daily driver until a part that I needed was not available in the United States. It had to come from Japan so it took awhile to get here. Now a lot of parts are no longer available so you will have to find a used part to replace it.

While I personally think it's an unreliable platform compared to a ford 4.6 or elantra or...

I just this weekend/vacation rented a car. Brand new, with 350 miles. Blew the tranny cooler line. So yeah...

I personally keep spare injectors, knock box, main relay, ecu, inj resistor, hoses, belts, alt, and so on in a little box in the back. So even if it breaks, all is good.

I use mine as a dd, it's MPI and has had extensive mods. It's all in how much maintenance you can put into it and what hacks may have been done in the past. It is a 30 year old car and most have had a hard life regardless of what the PO tells you (no ill intention directed to whomever you are speaking with about the 88).

I need to drive up a have a look at your car :)

I daily drive mine for 3 years driving 40 miles a day.

Get a Starion or Conquest that is in decent shape and not neglected and you will be fine.

Just look for the typical issues on the wear out items the car has...

oil cooler line leaks, c/v axle boots gone, u-joints on the driveline loose, torque tube excessive play, front end steering parts worn like tie rods and center link, the list goes on.

You can get a good idea of the cars shape by looking at a few wear items on the car. Of course do a compression check and a chemical block and a vacum test on the engine.

Edited by JohnnyWadd