Eastwood Welder Opinions

psu_Crash

I understand what you are saying. Wheels was a joke, I'm buying them either way.

I think I'm sold on a millermatic unit if I decide to buy new. For now I'll keep my eyes open for used models. If nothing shows up in a few weeks then I'll pull the trigger on a new one. Figuring out what model will be the next step. The 141 looks like it will do anything I need, but again I'd like a 220V model.

240 volt units do have more power. But most hobby/garage uses will be fine with a 120 volt unit. Most of what you will weld is thin. If you need to weld 3/8 or thicker you just do multiple passes.

Also something to consider is with a 240 volt unit you are tied to your garage. 120 volt units can be used anywhere. I can drag my welder to the backyard and weld or load it in my truck and weld somewhere else. I couldn't do that with a 240 volt unit.

a welding cart is a cool 1st project. I used throw-away scooter crate frames from the bike shop

stay away from harbour freight welding wire also. Avoid extension chords

1st time I saw a buddy MIG welding aluminium rails, he used Miller spool gun + a bigaz machine. Smooth workhorse tho

Bigger than any welder I'd want to own tho, and most likely co$$$tly. Way faster than TIG too.

I still use my 1st welder for thicker steel jobs = trusty big ol' Lincoln stick

Bought my 1st MIG years ago, when the Northern Tool chain was only starting up. Charlotte NC.

SIP brand, an italian machine made by schmauer? (battery charger folks). 220V, mostly flux wire, smooth & been rock solid

Bought a 110 Lincoln MIG from home depot, and its an OK machine. All 5 or so 110V buddy's other Lincolns weld the same

Neighbour's 110V Clarke MIG welds significantly better imo

Best little MIG of the lot, I used was made by FIREPOWER? I would have traded my Lincoln in a heartbeat for that

All above with flux wire. You can definitely see improved performance with gas

Getting to the point where I kinda miss/need my plasma cutter

Bought a HTP brand that worked like a dream, sat for a year or so, then failed. Somewhat dissappointed, but I think dampness where I stored it played a role.... so I'll take one for the team on that.

Will get it repaired simply because it has no troublesome PC board like the newer more costly plasmas

I'll most likely grab a $500 chinese plasma for the time being, as hotrod forums, reviews, etc. seem overly happy with em

Yeah a plasma cutter is next on my list. I'm so tired of cutoff discs, acetylene torches, sawzall blades and hole saws. All of those have their place but a nice plasma cutter with a 30 foot lead would be heavenly.
  • Like 1

The portability of a 110 unit is definitely a nice perk. Although if I have a 220 unit then when my friends want me to come over to weld something I can say "So you have a 220 receptacle in the garage?" and when they say no ... well then I guess you'll have to come here

That Miller 211 with 110 or 220 options looks very nice. I really can't justify spending that kind of cash though. Over a grand for just the welder and then supplies will put it all closer to $1500 and that's just not in the budget.

I have always been told that the first project with a new welder should be to build a cart. Gives you a chance to try it out on something that doesn't necessarily have to pretty or critical load bearing.

Any feedback on the Miller autoset feature? Seems like a nice idea. Reading around some welding forums a lot of people say it's nice but is often hotter than you need. I think a lot of those guys are very experienced welders though so they're a bit picky.

The portability of a 110 unit is definitely a nice perk. Although if I have a 220 unit then when my friends want me to come over to weld something I can say "So you have a 220 receptacle in the garage?" and when they say no ... well then I guess you'll have to come here

That Miller 211 with 110 or 220 options looks very nice. I really can't justify spending that kind of cash though. Over a grand for just the welder and then supplies will put it all closer to $1500 and that's just not in the budget.

I have always been told that the first project with a new welder should be to build a cart. Gives you a chance to try it out on something that doesn't necessarily have to pretty or critical load bearing.

Any feedback on the Miller autoset feature? Seems like a nice idea. Reading around some welding forums a lot of people say it's nice but is often hotter than you need. I think a lot of those guys are very experienced welders though so they're a bit picky.

I stay away from welding forums for one reason, and i see it at work too. Everyone thinks they are the best welder and they know everything. One person can comment on a great machine or a great weld and 20 other people will bash it and try to give you THEIR advice or opinion. We hired 2 new welders at work and they are exactly like this. I trained them for 6 months and after that they thought they knew everything. It pissed me off so i left them to learn on their own. It didnt go very well. A new guy started last week and thought he knew everything. Came up to the piece i was welding and looked at my weld and said oh thats a nice weld, but its abit hot for me... I asked him how many years of experience hes had with tig and he said none since school, whereas for the last 2 years hes been tacking garage door frames with mig. Now im no critic nor do i care what other ppl say, ive been welding full time for about 6-7 years now in all processes (mig, tig, stick, mig aluminum, submerged arc) but any machine you buy that is on miller or lincolns website will be good as long as you dont try to weld thicker than 1/4". Like i said, just watch out for the rollers and the cheap whips. Those are what make machines frustrating. The 211 was just my recommendation to a machine i thought was very fun and durable for a low price.

• Like 1

I have a Hobart handler 175 that I bought around 2002-3. It is 220v. I love it! It will weld sheet metal and structural components. Only drawback is you need a 220v receptacle and the extension cords are more expensive.

I only spent around $500 for mine with a small bottle and cart but I'm sure the price has gone up a bit since then.

Kevin

• Like 1

The Hobart Handler 140 also caught my attention

Hobart is what welds all of GNT products... just saying... flux core is good... gas shielding is well,,,, awesome for what that little box is. you would be very surprised.......

• Like 1

I was checking out Hobart welders last night at Tractor Supply. They seem like a decent unit to me. We have a Hobart 175 at work that our maintenance department beats on and it seems to take the abuse just fine.