Radiator replacement/repair options, post-search :)

jamez9538

I'm in the market for a radiator, but I couldn't find any GP posts for the *DM (I think) aluminum radiator. Apparently a member had been offering bolt-in aluminum radiators, sounds like a pretty good deal compared to the Griffin offering. There were many posts mentioning it and even some referring to a price somewhere around $300. Are these still available?

My second option is to have a local shop repair mine, but I haven't made any calls yet to price that. Well, a solid used one may be option 2.

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket aluminum radiator and clutch swap. I don't want to get into that debate either, just more interested in keeping the factory fan setup.

As an aside,I don't really qualify as a newb, used to post under Raider 2.6 or something to that effect, just lost login information. Ended up getting rid of the Raiders and keeping the Starion, I'm just as sick as you guys now :-D

Thanks!

Edited by jamez9538
  • Like 1

Hey hey... I'm rocking a turbo raider and no starions... So nothing wrong with them monteros yo.

Anyway... Whats wrong with yours,leaking? Problem with used ones is they weigh a bunch,so shipping one will run $50ish. Last one I scrapped paid 35 as it's all brass, so no ones exactly going to give it away for a cheap price. Then on top of that,it will prob need to get flushed or cleaned/rodded as its 25yo.

So unless someone has one locally,after all is said and done it's easier to use yours. When they rod a radiator they have to take it apart anyways, so that would take care of the leaking right there. Depending on where you ate prices vary from $80 up to $140.

It's leaking at the inlet tube and the top bracket for the fans has broken off. Plus one of the bottom fan mount bolts was broken off when I got it.

My original plan with this car was to rip out the turbo stuff and scrap it, but I started to like the thing. Now that it's running pretty well, I'm moving forward on my multiple-page list of things it needs.

I may have to correct the original post, I may be a newb, didn't see that :-0

If you have a good radiator shop near you they can clean it out and likely fix the broken mounting points. Although it may not be cost effective. A new radiator that bolts right in can be had for under $150. See this link. http://www.rockauto....9948&cc=1208180 The problem with that radiator is that it does not have the bungs for the temp switches on the bottom front, so you would have to add them. Edited by psu_Crash

James,

Have your OEM radiator acid cleaned, rodded out and the mounts repaired. I am still running my original OEM factory radiator and I've had it rodded out, on the average, every 4 to 5 years. It has kept the Old Broads engine running at just below the 1/2 mark on the temp guage in the desert in 120 deg heat with the AC on whenever I head West on the I-10 or I - 20 interstates.

BTW - when you have the inlet tube rebrazed on, make sure that it is at the same angle as when it came off. If it is angled too high you will have an interference fit to the primary fan shroud. ;) Been there and had that. :unsure:

To have the Starquest radiator acid cleaned & rodded out costs about $75 dollars, at least that is the price here in Georgia.

Glad to see you on the SQC boards again. I remember when you stopped off at my daughters house in Tulsa, when I was out there a couple of years ago and we BS'd about the Starquests. I think that it was the time that I was getting my daughter's '72 VW Bug convertible running again after it sat in storage for 12 years. I'm glad that you decided to keep your Lady.

For What it's Worth.

KEN

I learned a good bit during that short encounter :)

Mostly importantly, what a solid car can look and feel like, properly functioning electronics and all.

I'm trying to make a driver out of her, but my last trip to Missouri proved that she doesn't like 80+ degree weather. Ended up doing the old turn-heater-on-to-keep-it-cool trick.

I'll check around locally, see what they want. My only concern with a $240 aluminum radiator would be the durability/quality.

Oh, I also have an SHO fan I got cheap a few years back, might try that out in place of the factory 2-fan setup. Do both fans use their own power supply/relay? I'll have to research the SHO fan, it may be a 2-speed.

• 2 months later...