Winter wheel setup thoughts

speedyquest

Yes you have the right idea. 205/55/16's in the snow will be good. Anything wider will ride on top. Even the 205 is a bit wide. That's what I would do in my mustang days. I'd ditch the 245's on my pony wheels for some 4cylinder wheels (195/75/14)with all seasons and the car was usable in the snow.

I wouldn't say that they suck in the snow. I think a lot of it is how the car is set up and the driver.

Without snow tires, which I admit I never put on, they don't handle snow well. Can it be driven? Sure... but I don't know what other setup there would be to do besides tires. After driving 10+ NJ winters in a Starion, it's worth buying a beater truck just to avoid all the salt and risk of some other idiot hitting you. It's risky. Plus, you can use the truck to pick up an engine swap LOL.

but I don't know what other setup there would be to do besides tires.

Raise suspension 4 or so ", Skinnyer rims and tires (mountain rated snow tires) make weight box distribute weight in said box and take out and test in slick conditions. Make adjustments to box and weight till you get it just right. Maybe adjust you mix of antifreeze, add winter washer fluid and winter wiper blades. Add MRE, blanket, flare (mainly for starting fire) shovel and other various supplies. hat gloves and change of clothing. Turn the boost down

Edited by jszucs

I drove my quest once in like half inch of snow... car let go of traction at 10 mph around a corner. But it was in no way setup for winter driving.

So, if you're gonna do it, then yes, skinnier is better. Add weight, even if you don't think you need it - it will only make your life easier. I agree, kitty litter is great for that purpose.

Honestly? Just don't use SQ rims. Even 7's are a touch too wide, and they're too nice to watch them get eaten up by salt and crap. We have a really common bolt pattern - I'd just go spend 50 bucks for a set of skinny steelies from a junkyard and run those

I've never had winter tires but a few times I needed them. There was a mountain road near my old house that would get snow a couple times a year. Didn't matter what car I took I couldn't get down that road. Only having old all season tires was scary. I would get 100' down in the snow and start sliding across the road. Even the wife's car with 195 tires couldn't make it. Was great real world experience on just how much all season tires suck in snow.

Raise suspension 4 or so ", Skinnyer rims and tires (mountain rated snow tires) make weight box distribute weight in said box and take out and test in slick conditions. Make adjustments to box and weight till you get it just right. Maybe adjust you mix of antifreeze, add winter washer fluid and winter wiper blades. Add MRE, blanket, flare (mainly for starting fire) shovel and other various supplies. hat gloves and change of clothing. Turn the boost down

Besides the emergency kit which is good whenever, weight boxes and raising it 4"? Screw that just find a cheap beater 4x4 on craiglist it will pay for itself many times over and the peace of mind is priceless. Old cherokees or explorers are like $1000 sometimes less around here. Took me a few years to realize it though but once I did, that Starion never rolled through slush again.