Still not running right...

xwingz2

Hello, folks!

When this engine is cool, maybe for the first 30 minutes, it has what I always thought was a turbo lag. After an hour or so, there is a miss between 3,000 and 4,500. It will "pull through" the miss...but it's almost like something thermal is influencing the ignition. Or, a fuel filter?

New plugs, new wires and I see that someone replaced the injector clips. These leads are both white...could they be crossed???

Is this a coil going out? There is a new ignition module on eBay...is this the next step? Thx...

Injector clips aren't polarized, they can go either way. It's not the ignition module, they just flat out fail. I'd suggest cleaning and relubing the dizzy, the grease turns to glue and maybe its causing temperature related issues.

It isn't hard at all to take one apart, clean it up good and re-grease it. Just got to keep track of those pesky clips that hold the weights on. The springs can go back either way, they are different but it doesn't matter.

Working around the distributor I see a rotor with three segments...it is only "hitting" on 1 and 1/2 ...the third one has no "shine" to it. The first one looks like it is hitting and the second one is pitted. The tabs in the distributor also look corroded. This is an easy first step...

2.) There is a 4" vacuum hose that Is not connected. It is attached to a manifold with three other vacuum hoses. I wish I could find the place here to attach pictures. Anyone have a suggestion where this 4 vac hose goes ??? (near the distributor but not long enough to reach the advance tab)

3.) I cannot attach pix...right??

Thx....ed

Just went out and checked my vac lines. That line is supposed to connect to the bottom of the black plastic thing threaded into the manifold (not sure what it does). I'm guessing yours is cracked off since you can't see it in the pic

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/909/9An2lP.png

Edited by T-Harps

What gap are you using for the plugs?

Try .032 to .028 gap.

Check the exhaust manifold for hair line cracks

Check the vacuum advance with the suction test

If it holds its fine.

If it has a leak or slow leak or like sucking on a open straw it is BAD.

Edited by importwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

OK...I am back! My wife had surgery and I have just not had time to think about anything like "fun". The advance is working plugs gapped and re-gapped. I am not sure how to approach finding a hairline.

Can this be valve adjustment? The engine seems t clear out at 4-5,000...it's jus getting there that is 'rough' like a miss. I changed the coil, wires, cap and rotor which DID help. Valve adjustment possible???

Edited by xwingz2

Thank you for responding. It just seems "flat" throughout the range. It's like one plug isn't firing...but that is not the case. I changed cap and rotor, wires and plugs and the thing wants to pull up to 5,000-5,550...but it seems like it is struggling. The plugs all have a nice "burn".

Any chance this could be a "clogged" cat converter?? Is changing the throttle positioning sensor an "yes" or "no" thing...there is no "adjustment" or "test"...right? Do I sit behind the tailpipe and see if I get blown away??!!! :) Thanx...ed