Moderators

IntercooledFlatty

see I missed you saying nov 1st sorry , I was thinking oct for some reason

but my answer is still some what the same , it depends on what they find tomarrow and in the lab this week , hell I could be in the ground by then

my neighbor friend Betty had the same biopsy thing done just before my 1st march hospital stay ,she was dead with in 3 weeks from the biopsy :(

no one is blaming anyone for not being around, i'll try it again...

if you are a mod and you are away, and you KNOW you are going to be away, like years as some have done. then why are they still a mod ?

if you don't show up for work ( when you are desperatly needed ) for months how long will you company keep you around ?

i'm not trying to start trouble, i just want a logical explination from someone so i can understand.

I feel it is a fair question to ask. It is one that I asked myself a number of times.

It was explained to me this way. Moderators are considered people who are respected members of this community and done a lot to help out this forum greatly. I know most will disagree that that statement applies to a few of us. But when you look at the names on the mod list that haven't beenaround for a while, it's hard to dispute the amount of stuff they have done for us. It is in the wishes of the site owner and a few of the older mods, that once that title is given, it not be revoked. Life hits us all at times and leaving the title there leaves the door open for them to come back and help the community once again.

I may not agree with that reasoning, but it was an answer to a question. And it is an answer that I will respect because it is in the wishes of those that make this site possible.

Those who carry a mod title and who have not come around a while are really not the issue anyways, so it is not something that I dwell on.

There is no secret UN meeting that goes on behind closed doors. We try to moderate as a team and try to be consistent. But our opinions are GREATLY different and it is helpful having a place where we can voice our opinions and come to a conclusion.

Take this thread for example. I locked it because my opinion differed from the opinions of the other mods when it came to how to moderate this topic. I locked it to give us time to discuss our opionins and come to a conclusion. What resulted was some sort of compromise and the thread was reopened. I feel that is a fair way to handle it. Members screamed about vanishing threads for years and now we are trying to make an effort to keep them open.

We are never going to be able to please every one. But we do try to be fair. Kev did a great job trying to answer questions and be diplomatic at the same time, and yet he was still jumped all over. So maybe it would be best that those who feel the need to constantly push an issue, take a step back and give those of us who try a break.

oh i'll send you guys some t-shirts to wear , just finished a new batch .

When can I get one?

for those wondering there most likely will not be any more mod positions filled for a yr at least \

maybe longer just a FYI , so no use beating a dead horse to death asking to be one

I can understand the mindset of "If you ask for the position your not eligible for the position" from past experience. I don't think anyone who understands what being a moderator entails would / is volunteering for the position based on a search for "power" or prestige. Any of the members who have been here for a number of years, understand the community here, and want to see it grow and improve, just want to help do that and are vocal about it.

Before I get flamed let me say I'm not saying Shelby is trying to stifle us members trying to help but I do get the distinct impression from this and past comments that openly offering yourself up for a mod position is frowned upon.

I would also like to point out that any person who doesn't understand what the moderators do for all of us as members and the forum as a whole really need to experience other car forums to gain a real understanding. This forum is an oasis not only for information and community for our specific type of car but also car culture itself. Sometimes we should remind ourselves of that.

Edited by speedyquest

guess

I am gona do a historic thing , or at least a first time ever thing

I'm dropping out of the mod group , seems being a mod and having an opinion is a bad thing so , as a

reg club member I am guaranteed the right to one :) with 8 people behind to enforce that right or

should have lol

guess

I am gona do a historic thing , or at least a first time ever thing

I'm dropping out of the mod group , seems being a mod and having an opinion is a bad thing so , as a

reg club member I am guaranteed the right to one :) with 8 people behind to enforce that right or

should have lol

Firstly I said in my post I understand your not trying to stifle people wanting to better the site.

Second, I don't understand the response. So because you feel that my opinion is directed at you and that it contradicts your opinion that something has to "give"?

Just like you I'm voicing my opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument.

Edited by speedyquest

The absolute last thing I'm trying to do is start stuff.

My first post was a comment I felt needed to be stated because I think there is a separation between what the moderators believe the small number of vocal members (sometimes to their own detriment) are wanting and what they actually want. The last few days of reading this topic left me with the feeling that we have members frustrated with some of the things that happen and not knowing how to get their true point across and the moderators feeling like they are being bombarded with negativity towards them. Couple that with what this topic started as, a call for more / different moderators and I can only imagine the moderators feel like members want to push them out and replace them with new members when in reality all anyone really wants is an easy and fair moderation of the community.

The second post was admittedly a bit up front but still stands. The correct response is not to say "Ok I quit" because someone questions your opinion.

Edited by speedyquest

Well with you actively trying to get into a moderator position I wouldn't expect you to say much different.

Not hard to see what tactics you are trying to use here .

Well with you actively trying to get into a moderator position I wouldn't expect you to say much different.

Not hard to see what tactics you are trying to use here .

Well your right about one thing, I did at the beginning of this topic say I'd help if needed. But don't think I'd do that lightly or that I am "campaigning" for a moderators position. I know very well how thankless a job it is and the only reason I'd even consider it is because I appreciate this community and what I've gained from it being a member.

If you think I view becoming a moderator as a gift or some trophy that I could hang on my mantle your very mistaken. I am quite content being a member here and not having every move and post I make scrutinized for fairness and consistency.

Edited by speedyquest

Firstly I said in my post I understand your not trying to stifle people wanting to better the site.

Second, I don't understand the response. So because you feel that my opinion is directed at you and that it contradicts your opinion that something has to "give"?

Just like you I'm voicing my opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument.

not at all, I'm saying I'm tired , for another working with you guys has been one of my lifes most

memorable things

Thank you Kev and Taz for the explanations. Communication is easy if both parties are willing to participate.

In my opinion, the additions that have been made to the Mod Squad are only going to be beneficial to us all. The idea of fairness is great, but The Mods have a difficult task of reading every post, every day. And making sure it's content is within the rules of the forum. This isn't a say or do anything you want to site, and that makes them have to be the "judges" of the content of our posts. Sometimes we as members push the rules and they have to adjust or filter the content to keep it in regulation. People generally aren't going to like being censored that way, but it is what we all signed up for and agreed to. However, if a member asks a specific question that is just a request for information, or an explanation for a sense of understanding, like Harry did, what was it so hard about answering it, the way that Taz did? I know there are going to be things that go on "behind the scenes" to keep things running smoothly, that the membership doesn't need to be privileged to, and that is to be expected. But, there is no need to hide simple information, that can explain away a lot of the grumblings.

Q: Why do we have so many Mods that aren't active?

A: Ryddler wants it that way, and it leaves the door open for them to return and contribute in the future.

Simple. So, why did it have to take 2 pages of discussion and sidestepping and saying it's not a members business, to get to that point?

It all comes back to communication.

That is just my opinion and I am thankful as a member, that we do have some Mods that are willing to take their time and give simple explanations to shed a little light where they can.

BC_99

So a bear and a rabbit are sitting in the woods. The bear looks over to the rabbit and asks, "Do you ever have a problem with poop sticking to your fur?" The rabbit replies, "Why no, my far superior coat of fur never has an issue like that."

So the bear wiped his butt with the rabbit.

Sometimes you're gonna be the bear. Sometimes you're gonna be the rabbit.

Just try not to be the poop.