Fixing Damage From Previous Owners

ucw458

We've all seen them. Most of us have even owned SQs with previous owner stupidity we had to fix. Here's a repair I just finished on my car that a previous owner botched. Post up your own PO woes that you had to repair.

Honestly it's not hard to drop the gas tank to change the pump. Why some people feel the need to cut a gaping hole in the trunk then leave it open I'll never know. That's what happened to my car. I've wanted to fix it for years but never got around to it. Well I finally dropped the tank and welded up the hole.

I don't have a before pic but you can see from the welds where I patched it. The hole was already there so I cut the hole out for clearance so I never have to drop the tank again. Then I made a panel to be screwed into place so I have a metal access cover. A metal cover is best so if fuel spills or fire starts it doesn't get in the cabin. My repair isn't beautiful but it's hidden and it does the job.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Fuel%20pump%20access/DSCN0024_zps0e254ccc.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Fuel%20pump%20access/DSCN0028_zpsaf846aa0.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Fuel%20pump%20access/DSCN0027_zps1303baa3.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Fuel%20pump%20access/DSCN0025_zps5f0f1b38.jpg

And just for fun here's a shot of the new pump next to a stock replacement pump. Stock pump is an Airtex A1000 that flows 114 LPH and can feed stock injectors to their limit. New pump is a Bosch 044 that flows 300 LPH that can feed my new 1250cc injectors. The Bosch pump pulls more amps so the stock wiring has to go. I'm running a wire from the battery + to the trunk to power the pump. I'm using a relay activated by the stock wiring to turn it on. Without doing this the pump may only see 10 volts and would surely melt the stock wiring.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Fuel%20pump%20access/DSCN0019_zpscf7bfc34.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Fuel%20pump%20access/DSCN0020_zps6930f7fb.jpg

Edited by ucw458

Is that the bosch ( fat boy )??Is it loader than the wabro ?? Where did u pick it up and how much??Need to replace my pump the 86.....checked with jumper wire 3 times and was working and now no workie........

Unless you are going MPI you don't need a Bosch 044. It supplies x3 the fuel the stock injectors need. I put in an 044 because I have 5000cc worth of injectors. A stock 86 has 1700cc worth. Big pumps are loud. You want an Airtex A1000 for your 86.

My new SQC friend mick is going mpi and Im going to try to help him with it.... I was told that it would make it run rich too being stock.........thanks for your info .... Since u live down here in SO/CAL ( UCW458 ) we might need your help in getting it working...ha..ha... ha...............lucky you.......

cutting a hole like that to access the pump is a pretty good idea i'd say. its how mitsu should have done it in the first place.

structurally i dont think it would affect the car

I have no real input on that cutout, but i guess it's cool if you don't wanna drop the tank.

I have dropped my tank with ease,but i guess if you were going out and dressed that would

be easier than dropping it and getting dirty. Man 5,000cc worth of injectors what brand are

you useing?

I agree Mitsu should have made an access panel like so many other cars have. That being said, personally I would never cut anything on the car even if it requires me to take extra time to do it the intended way. I was lucky and found my car with no hackjobs or cut ups, just neglect and body damage from previous owner(s).

I have no real input on that cutout, but i guess it's cool if you don't wanna drop the tank.

I have dropped my tank with ease,but i guess if you were going out and dressed that would

be easier than dropping it and getting dirty. Man 5,000cc worth of injectors what brand are

you useing?

I would assume 1250 cc on mpi, I'm running 1000's

My new SQC friend mick is going mpi and Im going to try to help him with it.... I was told that it would make it run rich too being stock.........thanks for your info .... Since u live down here in SO/CAL ( UCW458 ) we might need your help in getting it working...ha..ha... ha...............lucky you.......

Bigger fuel pump wouldn't make it run richer unless the pump removed wasn't keeping up, fpr keeps the fuel pressure, the fuel pressure effects the amount of fuel out if the injector

If you have a 1000cc injector rated at 43.5psi, more fuel pressure will overdrive it above 1000, but upgrading, for example, a stock pump to 2 walbro 255s, assuming 43.5psi pressure is set same, injectors will still flow same amount

Rob(mpgorboost) helped me out with getting a walbro in and he cut a access panel just like this, but we did it the "right" way imo by making a cover and sealing it with silicon? dont remember.

Yessir! Not my favorite cursory to these cars but I do remember it being late, semi-full tank and you needing to drive her home. It was patched with the same gauge of sheet metal as above, some pooky and foil tape. Flame on!!! B)

Bigger fuel pump wouldn't make it run richer unless the pump removed wasn't keeping up, fpr keeps the fuel pressure, the fuel pressure effects the amount of fuel out if the injector

If you have a 1000cc injector rated at 43.5psi, more fuel pressure will overdrive it above 1000, but upgrading, for example, a stock pump to 2 walbro 255s, assuming 43.5psi pressure is set same, injectors will still flow same amount

While I agree with that I think there are issues with bigger pumps that people overlook. One is if you have no desire to make your SQ anything more than a mildly modded stock car then the stock replacement pump is just fine. I say that because the stock pump wiring is insufficient for a 255 or an 044. Those pumps pull more amps than the stock pump. I see a bunch of people going for 255 pumps but are they rewiring them? Using the stock setup on a larger pump can lead to voltage drop and heated wires. Can that be why 255s fail early?

If someone wants to run a bigger pump then one should rewire the stock system. A fused 10ga wire from the batt to a relay then to the pump. Pump gets it's own chassis ground not the stock ground. And the relay is turned on by the stock pump + wire. That takes a load off the ECI relay and provides enough amps to run a big pump correctly.

the proper thing is the tank needs to be cleaned and what ever service it may need can be done IF the pump and tank is droped as mits intended then no other work is needed

also as a working wrench cutting up a customers car is a no no

the proper thing is the tank needs to be cleaned and what ever service it may need can be done IF the pump and tank is droped as mits intended then no other work is needed

luckly ive had all clean tanks so far :)

You're absolutely right Shelby.

• 3 months later...

personally I do not beleave that the oem pump feed wire needs up grading but the oem GROUND wire for the fuel pump deff

needs up grading

It's a well documented mod in the DSM community with actual benefits to pump flow. DSMs have the same gauge wiring to the pump SQs have. Stock wiring is just too small for aftermarket pumps.

I have seen the OEM ground wire. Anyone running a 10ga wire to the positive side of the pump is not gonna use the stock ground wire.

isn't a 10 gauge wire over kill , the 65 amp charging system don't use wire that big , but what ever

nothing to argue over :)