whats a good additive for a leaky p.steering box,and p.steering pump ?

j.quest

Doing it the right way is to replace the worn out parts. However the Lucas additive is a good temporary fix until the correct repairs are made. I've used it before in my car and it did slow the leaks down from the pump and gearbox but it in no way repaired them.

power steering pump rebuield kit edleman # 8722 12 BUCKS power steering gear kit edleman # 8745 75 BUCKS rock auto or autozone...there are posts how to do it on here.................

use ATF fluid not power steering fluid !!!!!!!!!!!! P/S fluid wlll eat seals in system!!!!!!!!.........

Edited by markhansenconquest

I rebuilt my pump with the OEM seal kit in 10 minutes. The gear box I sent to a shop to get rebuilt for $100. It's better to have rebuilt non leaking parts then to slap a band aid on the system by using stop leak.

Working on a car with leaks sucks. I hate working on a greasy mess. Pressure wash the engine bay then fix the leaks.

Well I will say Lucas will help a lot if you have a slow leak all the time. I have a few stories and you can google it and see more.

Obviously rebuilding the pump is best , but if you need to drive the car and have a leak, some thick stuff like Lucas will save you from running bone dry and ruining more than seals. The AFT that is in the system will pump right out of there in seconds when the leaks gets bad, so having the Lucas in there prevents the pump and box from a lot of metal on metal wear if that happens too.

Depends upon where the weep/leak is as to whether or not Lucas will slow it down.If it's at the swaged hose fitting going onto the HP metal 900 metal fitting going into the pump body it won't help a bit; or at the column shaft of the steering gear box seals. TOO much pressure - about 1100 PSIG worth. :blink:See FSM 19-12.

I know you don't want to hear this, but really the only way to replace this HP PS hose assembly is either to pull the engine or the cylinder head to get sufficient clearance to remove & install the assembly. :(

However, I will say that old time KNOWLEDGIBLE Starquester's have replaced this power steering HP line assembly but with a GREAT amount of CURSING, DIFFICULTY, AND CUT HANDS/FINGERS without removing the engine or the head. BUT, it's not something that should be taken on by an inexperienced mechanic.

If the weep/leak is at the steering gear box's steering column's seal the replacement of the box's seals should be taken on by a knowedgible, experienced auto mechanic and not a NOOB. You can get into the deep dark craps, real fast, if you don't reassemble the steering box correctly. You can always replace the steering box with a rebuilt one to the tune of about $250 - $300 - provided you have the proper tools.

Not to say you don't have the knowledge or experience - BUT.

My Old Broad's PS HP hose has been FUBAR for her past 30K miles (leak at the HP line's hose to metal tubing 900 elbow swage fitting @ the PS pump). I removed the PS pump's drive belt and drained the ATF out of the HP & LP sections of the system. The end of this month when she is getting shut down for body work/paint and correcting of a couple of minor mechanical and electrical problems/PM's, that DAMN HP hose assembly will be replaced - hopefully W/O pulling the cylinder head.

BTW - The steering column coupler's rubber insert has shown no signs of degrading (NO slack) while I have had the PS system inactivated.

For What It's Worth.

KEN