Starion R/C Drift car aka Battlemagnet Jr.

Fuze

TOYS!

So a few months ago in the depths of the great winter of death, I got bored and decided to paint up the Starion body I have had for years and actually buy an R/C car to put it on. I think it came out pretty close to the real deal and it was like a flashback to Jr. high, which was the last time I messed aorund with the R/C car stuff.

Here's the details:

Body: Spice Starion widebody. Modified Spice JZA80 light buckets.

Chassis: Tamiya TT01-D, full Yeah Racing aluminum suspension makeover kit

Paint: Tamiya standard black, painted the body on the inside but also on the outside to give it the matte look of the real car. This is how to do matte on lexan. Fake carbon fiber sheet for the hood and light covers.

Access: HPI body accessory kit (intercooler, muffler, mirrors)

Wheels: SpeedWayPal Slide Master mesh w/ drift tires, painted with same Duplicolor on the real ones.

Probably could have cleaned the windows lol. Car is filthy, it basically just sits now...

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/10354531_1419260001686305_2060983090_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10413924_507897802674790_856616402_n.jpg

Real car below.

http://photos-g.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/1390077_499253563504374_860164980_n.jpg

Anybody else got one of these Spice bodies hooked up?

yea, thats awesome man! I almost got one of these I dont know why I didnt.

They come clear right?

Yeah, they come with masking film for the windows and stuff. You paint the inside typically to make it shiny.

WoW great job.

I used to race pan cars in the north east.

used to be very fun but expensive.

It sure adds up fast. Very addictive.

Yup, I've got mine up on a shelf still waiting for assembly and all that business. Just too busy and underfunded to be buying a chassis.

That's what was going on with me until I bought my brother an E10 drift for his bday and couldn't hold out anymore.

A few sources for the body are still around:

RC Mart in UK, has em for $16 right now

They are still on eBay, but getting scarce....

ebay seller, Spice Starion Body

I got almost everything from Banzai Hobby, hard to find a better selection of stuff. Shipping is a little pricey since it's in Japan.

Spice Starion Body

Banzai Hobby

Edited by Fuze

I've got 3 of the bodies, 2 are painted so far. On I did with the ralliart paint scheme, the other tried to make a clone of my car.

1004884_525288586732_552142273_n.jpg

1077457_525288347212_1743307558_o.jpg

5886_524759242542_945812093_n.jpg

Durban one was on my twin motored Tamiya TA03, but have a different body going on it right now. in the above pic the Ralliart one is on an HPI RS4 Rally, but that chassis is no longer usable (can't get parts for it anymore) so I've got that body now on my HPI E-10 Drift chassis with some of my wheels

Wheels... Cast them myself form some polyurethane resin, but not going to sell any. I need to redo them and make a new mold(s) to cast more. Center is off by .5mm from when I changed the offset of the wheel I modded to make the master part. Offset is 12mm though, tried to make them look like the 9's I have on my car all around.

I've got 3 of the bodies, 2 are painted so far. On I did with the ralliart paint scheme, the other tried to make a clone of my car.

1004884_525288586732_552142273_n.jpg

1077457_525288347212_1743307558_o.jpg

5886_524759242542_945812093_n.jpg

Durban one was on my twin motored Tamiya TA03, but have a different body going on it right now. in the above pic the Ralliart one is on an HPI RS4 Rally, but that chassis is no longer usable (can't get parts for it anymore) so I've got that body now on my HPI E-10 Drift chassis with some of my wheels

Wheels... Cast them myself form some polyurethane resin, but not going to sell any. I need to redo them and make a new mold(s) to cast more. Center is off by .5mm from when I changed the offset of the wheel I modded to make the master part. Offset is 12mm though, tried to make them look like the 9's I have on my car all around.

Very clean work, you reminded me that I had that body stuck in a closet a while back. Those rims! The meshies on mine are 10mm offset, damn near impossible to find them deeper. Definitely lemme know if you do make them. I recently got access to a 3D printer at work, been thinking about making something like that but not sure how tough the material will be. Drift tires are so hard to mount they'd probably shatter the rim.

Are you heating the "tires" up to soften them up for install? I just did a set last week, and found that if you have something to push down on that's just a bit larger diameter inside than the rim, but still hits the tire all the way around, it's easier to push them that last little bit.

My dad gave me his 3d printer (printerbot jr), and eventually I will get it setup, and relearn a 3d program again to make a new master part to make a new mold with. Plus we got a blue light scanner at work last year, and for practice I took one of my spare 9's in and scanned it.

Are you heating the "tires" up to soften them up for install? I just did a set last week, and found that if you have something to push down on that's just a bit larger diameter inside than the rim, but still hits the tire all the way around, it's easier to push them that last little bit.

My dad gave me his 3d printer (printerbot jr), and eventually I will get it setup, and relearn a 3d program again to make a new master part to make a new mold with. Plus we got a blue light scanner at work last year, and for practice I took one of my spare 9's in and scanned it.

I never heated them up, just use a block of wood to push them on from the back of the rim. I've got the 3D scanner too just have to set it all up someplace.

• 10 months later...