SQ skidplate???

TexasQuest

Thinking now that quite a few people are going lower nowadays with coilovers, maybe a nice skidplate for our cars would be a nice piece of protection for our oil pans and underbelly of the car. Something along the lines of this: http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/onlinestore.html?pid=176&step=4 Maybe get a group buy going from Niko or MotoCam?

I understand where you are going with this. But honestly if you hit something big enough to hurt the oil pan then you have bigger problems than the oil pan. To get to the oil pan it would have to go through the airdam, IC, lower radiator support and swaybar. You are more likely to damage the air dam and IC which would probably render the car inoperable if you punctured the IC.

Robert hit some road construction once bad enough to bend the engine crossmember but I don't remember hearing the oil pan was damaged. Maybe he can chime in and tell us if it was.

Yea that's cool but I agree that its not needed. If I remember correctly, Robert hit something with his tire and bent up some suspension.

So our oil pan's don't hang down that low to be in any real danger?

No. The crossmember protects the part that hangs down. Oil pan sits tucked behind the crossmember. If you nail something hard enough to damage that and the oil pan, you got waaay more serious problems.

The air dam and intercooler are more likelyly to bottom out. My daughter hit the intercooler when she went through a dip in the road. If anything, that's what need needs protection, the intercooler.

No. The crossmember protects the part that hangs down. Oil pan sits tucked behind the crossmember. If you nail something hard enough to damage that and the oil pan, you got waaay more serious problems.

The air dam and intercooler are more likelyly to bottom out. My daughter hit the intercooler when she went through a dip in the road. If anything, that's what need needs protection, the intercooler.

Ok I se what you mean it's above the front cross member so it's protected.

The oil pan is definitely not protected. The front of mine is scraped up, and so was the one I replaced it with. Also have some good scrapes in the sway bar. When I hit an unmarked raised section of the road, the crossmember was bent back into the oil pan, puncturing the pan from the steering stops. Nothing else was damaged and I drove back home 1/2 mile or so, leaking oil.

On the cannonball run I went on months ago, there was a section with poorly paved road and the Ferrari I was chasing was scraping more than my car was. I spoke to the owner recently and he said they come with skid plates, fortunately haha. I've been working on one myself, maybe I'll have it ready in time for summer.

I haven't damaged the airdam though, and it scrapes all the time.

-Robert

Ok I se what you mean it's above the front cross member so it's protected.

Let me correct myself, the deep sump part of the oil pan site in front of the crosssmember, not behind. I'm confusing my engines here.

Robert is correct, its not protected in that sense. I can see how on a low car like his it can be an issue if an object in the road comes up.

But I still have seen more airdams and intercoolers take the hit first, specially in a dipped road where the nose of the sq drops down first.