UFC 168: Sylva's Leg Break. Ouch!

I think hes done for good now, i kinda feel bad for the guy, he had the upper hand in the second round! I would not be suprised if it takes him at least 2 years to recover, hes 38 and i doubt he will come back after "recovery". Weidman and joe rogan looked really suprised lol

I don't think he's coming back either. Legs are not supposed to look like noodles. That's emergency sugery, screws and bolts and titanium rod type of surgery.

I have never broken a bone, I can't imagine the level of pain that kind of break brings.

Bone itself unless the edges are getting moved and rubed on each other don't really hurt. It's all the other stuff that attached, wraped around, and tied off in some cases very fare away that are pulling and being stretched that hurts.

Ive always wondered why you never see more broken bones in UFC. Are there rules on going for an intentional break? IE like you can't stand on a foot and kick though a leg?

Bone itself unless the edges are getting moved and rubed on each other don't really hurt

really :blink:

Yeah after the initial bone brake it's not the painfull part. All the other attached parts are the parts with the nerve endings causing pain. unless the two edges are getting moved on each other / pushed into each other the break itself is not the painfull part. I've broke allot of bones to konw (into the 30's) Worse was rib, and collar bones because they move with every breath.

I've broke allot of bones to konw (into the 30's) Worse was rib, and collar bones because they move with every breath.

Ribs definitely hurt like hell but a broken jaw ... that one took the cake for me as far as hurting for a long time. For initial @#$!! pain it was 2 shattered heels for me. My running total is 20ish pieces of hardware installed for (usually) doing something I knew had a good chance of ending badly

On topic, that break was sick ... he's done and shouldn't be ashamed of it

Bone itself unless the edges are getting moved and rubed on each other don't really hurt. It's all the other stuff that attached, wraped around, and tied off in some cases very fare away that are pulling and being stretched that hurts.

Ive always wondered why you never see more broken bones in UFC. Are there rules on going for an intentional break? IE like you can't stand on a foot and kick though a leg?

I'm sure they have rules to help minimize bodily injury. If you look at old videos of MMA, from the infant stages, you'll see alot of horrific injuries.

That leg break reminded me of an NFL injury from the 90's. I can't remember the teams, I just recall seeing a leg bone pop out of the guys tights! It was brutal.

Joe Thiesman got leg snapped by L.T.

I think the worst part of coming back from an injury like that would be the mental aspect of being too shy to throw kicks again in the future with confidence. Every time he throws a kick I imagine he would lose focus and be thinking more about "Is it going to break again?" and taking heat off the kick instead of watching for a counter attack.

Joe Thiesman got leg snapped by L.T.

I think the worst part of coming back from an injury like that would be the mental aspect of being too shy to throw kicks again in the future with confidence. Every time he throws a kick I imagine he would lose focus and be thinking more about "Is it going to break again?" and taking heat off the kick instead of watching for a counter attack.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of! I saw that live as a kid, traumatized me.

I agree, even if he recovers physically, he's gonna have a harder time mentally.