oil separator question

claurance2

Is it possible to hookup the oil separator without plumming into the ahp? It's sucking oil into the mas and stalling the motor. I'm also getting blue smoke on decell. I haven't had a chance to do a leak down check or commpression test yet. The oil is deffinetly coming from the oil pan.

The separator suction line is in the Accordian pipe so its past the mass air sensor. Should be getting to it unless is just sucking straight oil. Trouble shoot you set up by cleaning the turbo intake items , the intake tube and such. And then do a short run with no ol separator. I suspect the oil seal on the turbo if you are getting that much oil.

It's sucking oil from the oil pan. I capped the oil return line to the oil pan and vented the oil line from the separator to an opening under the car. I drove it and it smoked from the oil line from the separator and on decell some blue smoke.

It's sucking oil from the oil pan.

It can't, assuming its correctly installed and working. There are three lines, the bottom one out to the pan, the middle one that goes to the valve cover and the top one going to the accordian pipe. So you're saying that you're creating so much suction in the section between the air filter and the compressor inlet that it's overcoming the huge vent to the valve cover and pulling oil up out of the oil pan, filling the oil separator to the brim? Not! Again, assuming its plumbed correctly and not plugged with gunk. I've actually measured the vacuum in the accordian pipe at 5500 rpm, its around 1/2 - 1 psi which is no where near enough to do what you're describing and if you are getting higher vacuum then your air filter needs changing.

I wish I had one of Indiana's old posts about this, he had a great FSM picture.

It can't, assuming its correctly installed and working. There are three lines, the bottom one out to the pan, the middle one that goes to the valve cover and the top one going to the accordian pipe. So you're saying that you're creating so much suction in the section between the air filter and the compressor inlet that it's overcoming the huge vent to the valve cover and pulling oil up out of the oil pan, filling the oil separator to the brim? Not! Again, assuming its plumbed correctly and not plugged with gunk. I've actually measured the vacuum in the accordian pipe at 5500 rpm, its around 1/2 - 1 psi which is no where near enough to do what you're describing and if you are getting higher vacuum then your air filter needs changing.

I wish I had one of Indiana's old posts about this, he had a great FSM picture.

The separator is hooked up properly and it's pulling fresh oil in. Not alittle oil but a lot of oil and runs out the mas and through the filter. I'm gonna take a pic of the puddle of oil under the filter. Now when i capped the oil line going to the oil pan and ran another line from the separator and left it open no oil is getting in. I've cleaned and soaked theseparator in gas until nothing but gas came out. I drove to work one day and got on it and when i got to the traffic light it wouldn't stay runnin and kept stalling out. When i finally got it home and started checking things out i find the mas and filter soaked in fresh oil. I also tried three oil separators with the same results.

The separator is hooked up properly and it's pulling fresh oil in.

One more time, it can't. You have other issues and you're best served working on them rather than fighting something you don't understand.

One more time, it can't. You have other issues and you're best served working on them rather than fighting something you don't understand.

I hear you i just don't know how this is happening. Today i removed the mas and intercooler pipe to clean everything out. I turn the mas so when oil comes in it won't get in the sensors. I went for a short run with a couple of short boosts a lot of blue smoke on decell no smoke at idle. Came back let it run a bit and no oil this time. I don't know. I may need to clean the entire intercooler system again.

Bad PCV? allowing pressure to build ( boost leaking past pcv valve)??? On Deceleration, PCV valve should be open, on boost it closes and ventilation is taken over by the catch can system, I'm thinking boost is entering crankcase.

Dad

If its coming up the like just what JohnnyWadd said its getting forced up in to the line the air is not going to suck it up.

Even that is unlikely, again you're talking about the separator filling with oil and not taking the middle tube exit out to the valve cover, that's a lot of oil.

Just remove the top line to the accordian pipe and plug the accordian pipe hole with something. That's no worse than all the guys with the little filter on the back valve cover. Do that and see what happens.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh538/sqperformance/SQP%20transfer/Eng%20Tech/metered%20airflow/metered_ecs_113_zps8f423009.jpg

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh538/sqperformance/SQP%20transfer/Eng%20Tech/metered%20airflow/unmetered_ecs_145_zps5eb11281.jpg

Edited by Funky Phil