Help! Lots of white smoke out exhaust as well as smoke and oil out of the oil cap

Alex, it is real easy to pull the vband on the turbo to see if the hot side wheel is wet with oil. my guess is turbo. I have burned a few up trouble shooting my correct feed rate. it did exactly what you described.

i thought that was it. like i said. i have burned a few seals on my holset trying to set the correct feed rate. feel good knowing thats all it was and cheaper than a bottom end. but on a side note, your compression test came back odd. that is an awfully far swing on the numbers. just so you know. i see Scott has you on them e3 plugs lol.. Alex, is that a holset turbo? i have a .35mm restrictor in my oil feed. the reason it took a bit for it to smoke at cold start up was the egts had to get high enough to start burning the oil.

Edited by wrngwae

I put it all back together with my spare turbo and it's still smoking. At idle there is a strong force of air pushing out from valve cover with the oil cap off. I'm thinking it's blowby from the piston rings. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

i thought that was it. like i said. i have burned a few seals on my holset trying to set the correct feed rate. feel good knowing thats all it was and cheaper than a bottom end. but on a side note, your compression test came back odd. that is an awfully far swing on the numbers. just so you know. i see Scott has you on them e3 plugs lol.. Alex, is that a holset turbo? i have a .35mm restrictor in my oil feed. the reason it took a bit for it to smoke at cold start up was the egts had to get high enough to start burning the oil.

.35mm is too small in my opinion, that could kill the turbo from oil starvation.

I put it all back together with my spare turbo and it's still smoking. At idle there is a strong force of air pushing out from valve cover with the oil cap off. I'm thinking it's blowby from the piston rings.

Seems to me that you have two issues at hand, the bottom is loosing compression and that causes excessive blow by. I've tested stock motors with over 100k miles and they yielded over 120PSI. Yours is too low especially for a rebuilt motor.

The turbine seal is shot, maybe the oil restrictor is too large.

What Brand of turbo are you running?

What size orifice does the restrictor have?

Also, did you inspect your crankcase check valve(s) to see if any are stuck? If you haven't, put a straw on it and blow in the direction its suppose to flow.

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

what brand is the turbo? i run no restrictor with a an4 feed for my holset, i actually just killed a older h1c (single feed) thrust bearing trashed. i have never blown a oil seal on the holsets

you have the same issue i had a while back, combination of 2 things. 1st, you have a cracked ringland, thats the smoke out the valve cover, and 2, possibly from the excessive pressure in the case going up the turbo return, your rear turbo seal went out

i had the same thing happen, couldnt figure out what, was figuring all motor, changed the headgasket and replaced valve seals, same thing. changed seal on turbo, same thing. replaced turbo fixed exhaust but still had smoke coming out the valve cover. got a junk motor locally, pulled this one apart to find 2 cracked ringlands

compression test showed good, however leakdown test on the otherhand...

Edited by Skullzaflare

did you by chance just get an alignment done?......

Blowby my man. you need to upsize fellow! theres next to no vacuum from the intake. Thats an emissions thang. Disconnect rear vent and leave open. Go for another run and see what happens. Youll notice the oil smell but look for smoke out the tailpipe again. If it goes away, hook your stuff up again and see if it comes back.

Blowby will murder your turbo BTW.

yeah, but his comp check does not show good

Others have noted that. however in post 5 he said he had 90 on all 4 6 mouths ago. So his gauge may be off.

A local guy had a little piece of oil ring missing. His car smoked like a steam engine. That car cranked 140.

Edited by StarquestRescue

It sounds like my car when I broke a valve guide.

Hey Kevin, his plugs looked all the same tho....I have said turbo seals and cracked ring land. But john has a good idea, leak down test. I would loosen the cam caps to where the valves seal and do a leak down on each cyl.

It sounds like my car when I broke a valve guide.

with the condition of his plugs, and oil covered turbine, only way that would work is if a exhaust guide got damaged, if he pulls the manifold he could find out

if you want to test if its the turbo or a guide, if you pull the turbo out of the hotside, and unhook your maf (it will be loud) start the car with oil lines either still on the turbo or into the valve cover (dont use a cup you loose alot of oil fast) and keep it running for a minute and see if it starts smoking out of the manifold.

im still on the ringlands and turbo rear seal though

• 1 month later...
Any help or opinions are much appreciated. The pics of the cylinder bores are hard to take because without a flash they are too dark, and with the flash there is some distortion and reflection. I sprayed WD-40 on the inside of the cylinders to keep them moist and I ran my hand and finger nail around the inside of each cylinder to feel for scratches. Nothing...

The shiny black coating on the pistons and cylinder head indicates oil buring. Excessive carbon build up will show matt black.

I suggest you pop out the pistons and check for broken rings or cracked ring lands while you're down there.

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

I haven't pulled the pan yet so I'm going to get the head pressure tested first before looking into the bottom end. I let the engine run for a bit a few times with the smoke pouring out the exhaust so that could be why the pistons are coated, but I'm still unsure if it's a cracked head or piston ring issue. What I do know is that I took the valve cover off and ran the engine prior to disassembly yesterday and the oil was very milkshaked in the head. For some reason when I pull the dipstick it doesn't look milkshaked. Hopefully the block isn't cracked.